Preview Changes V Bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

All players - not just one - have to keep their shape for a zone - or the opposition will cut us to ribbons.

It's complete BS that keeping shape is up to 1 player. What would then happen when he is on the bench?

Can't believe that this was actually given as a reason nor some actually believe it...
Does anyone believe it?

George did you see where I gave absolutely NO opinion as to his comments (other than “which clearly isn’t very often”)? I reported what I heard and asked if anyone else had heard the conversation.
“It’s clear he’s playing a role and won’t be dropped on that”

That isn’t an opinion Jenny?

Not absultely sure we need to swap Borlase for Butts. Dons aren’t that tall at the moment are they? We could put Curtin in and shuffle Worrell and Keane to the better talls.
Hmmm... so the Crows are faced with a conservative option and a bold option

images.jpeg

Yea people reading way to much into this. He clapped the goal. As soon as the siren went he was up celebrating like the rest of them

Laird himself confirmed this last night at a DT Talk (AFL Fantasy) event i went to at the Arkaba. Said he looked at the clock and saw there was 1.12 on the clock and figured 'we're not home yet...' and just wanted to remain composed

As you've mentioned there is footage of him going mental at the end of the game and celebrating, it was just that vision he conceded 'looked ordinary', but they all had a good laugh about it.

Also mentioned as he's getting older he'll spend a bit more time going to HB and going forward too, but cautioned that what made him so good at HB in the past is no longer possible now with the 6-6-6 rules. He also said it depends on the makeup of opposition midfields as to what the mix will be like game-to-game, but that Crouch was essentially 'top dog' in there, and that Soligo will be a mainstay for the rest of the year, with Rankine/Rachele continuing to get CBA's

I really got the feeling from last nights chat there has been a bit of a 'changing of the guard' so to speak.

Laird and Crouch both under 70% TOG against Carlton, the kids essentially getting it done.

Laird himself confirmed this last night at a DT Talk (AFL Fantasy) event i went to at the Arkaba. Said he looked at the clock and saw there was 1.12 on the clock and figured 'we're not home yet...' and just wanted to remain composed

As you've mentioned there is footage of him going mental at the end of the game and celebrating, it was just that vision he conceded 'looked ordinary', but they all had a good laugh about it.

They showed the bench a bit later, just before Keane took that mark and I'm sure you could see Laird doing a crossword puzzle

Jones is the classic soldier. He isn't a star player to build the team around. He needs stars around him to bring him into the game. When this happens he looks fantastic. Will this count against him long term, maybe but its not very often you get 22 star players with x factor in the side. You need soldiers to fill the gaps. Overall, he is not in our top 10 issues at the moment.

But we picked him over Zac Butters... lets not forget that elephant sized tidbit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also mentioned as he's getting older he'll spend a bit more time going to HB and going forward too, but cautioned that what made him so good at HB in the past is no longer possible now with the 6-6-6 rules. He also said it depends on the makeup of opposition midfields as to what the mix will be like game-to-game, but that Crouch was essentially 'top dog' in there, and that Soligo will be a mainstay for the rest of the year, with Rankine/Rachele continuing to get CBA's

I really got the feeling from last nights chat there has been a bit of a 'changing of the guard' so to speak.

Laird and Crouch both under 70% TOG against Carlton, the kids essentially getting it done.
Good to hear that Laird is speaking pragmatically about where things are at rather than like he's entitled to the prime midfield spot because he carried us there for some years through rebuild.

Both Crouch & Laird with a little less TOG isn't a bad thing, ensures they can run out games better I'm quite sure.

Also the season is long, there may be a point our younger guys are banged up, injuries etc, that's when these other guys can pick up the slack.

The “Shape Keeper” is the modern day version of the “Kenny McGregor”. Towards the end of Kenny’s career he was barely touching the ball.

I heard an interview on 5aa when they asked if Ken’s spot in the team was under question.

“Certainly not” said Phil Harper, “Ken is playing his role very well”
“What is his role?” Phil was asked.
“His role is to make space for the other forwards” Phil replied “Essentially he should be where the ball isn’t”

The Space Keeper must be a very important role because we seem to have a lot of Space Keepers in our squad.

The “Shape Keeper” is the modern day version of the “Kenny McGregor”. Towards the end of Kenny’s career he was barely touching the ball.

I heard an interview on 5aa when they asked if Ken’s spot in the team was under question.

“His role is to make space for the other forwards” Phil replied “Essentially he should be where the ball isn’t”

The Space Keeper must be a very important role because we seem to have a lot of Space Keepers in our squad.
To be fair in public they aren't going to come out and say the player is crap too often lol, hardly good for morale. That said the club stubbornly backing guys in is the bane of an Adelaide Crows supporter life.

Kenny was never a ball winner.

Even when he played across half back. Was never a Nathan Bock

2000 Stats

1713405962231.png

2001 Stats

1713406023725.png

2002 Stats

1713406066891.png

2003 Stats
1713406134693.png

2004 Stats

1713406187225.png

2005 Stats

1713406236465.png

2006 - 2008 Stats

1713406296714.png

Kenny was never a ball winner.

Even when he played across half back. Was never a Nathan Bock

2000 Stats

View attachment 1962822

2001 Stats

View attachment 1962824

2002 Stats

View attachment 1962825

2003 Stats
View attachment 1962828

2004 Stats

View attachment 1962829

2005 Stats

View attachment 1962830

2006 - 2008 Stats

View attachment 1962833

7 games with 20 or more disposals

That's more than Murphy (1) and McHenry (4) combined. And McGregor played fewer games

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes V Bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back