Changes V Carlton- Round 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Mayne is absolutely on fire. He's heading for 30 - 40 goals from a 3rd forward.

Plus he's taking someone out of the game every single week.

What more do people want?

We have some clueless spanners in here.

Yep ,I'm confused about people wanting to see mayne dropped too.

Averaging 1.5 gls per game and that's just his offensive stats.At this rate he'll be our clubs leading goal kicker for 2012.

I'm aiming a bit higher on goals for the season for chopper, 40-50 goals.

I would usually advocate not changing a winning formula but Suban has to go according to Ross' mantra 'Reward for Effort'.
No the required effort saw him subbed out of the game and could see him replaced by JVB, Fyfe or Lower.

Would be great if we could bring back Kepler just to sidestep Judd for shits and giggles.

Reward for effort Nic's effort wasn't lacking; he just couldn't get into the game.
He didn't make any mistakes that led to goals. He had the classic quiet game.

However, having said that and being mindful of Ross' reputation for guiding these mid tier type players through quiet patches, it would be inconsistent to drop him after four games. To date we have seen very few team changes . After four games Freo have used 25 players, contrast that with last year where we had used 29 after 3 rounds.

This appears to be a very deliberate strategy.

It looks to me Ross is loathe to make multiple changes if unforced , ie injury. Nic Suban is the classic player that Ross would consider a personal project to develop.

Lachie Neale being dropped and or Jack Anthony, is inconceivable from what we know of Ross Lyon's psychology. Subes , also as I stated above doesn't fit our Coach's style , to be dropped unless there is another player demanding to be selected based on form.

I don't think there is such a player right now and after only four games Nic hasn't failed enough IMO , to be abandoned.... ( so to speak ).

I know it's not a change, but Pav's form would have to be the key this week, surely? I only saw glimpses of the Saints game, but I watched the Brisbane match live, and he was more or less ineffectual.

If Pav can rediscover his marking nous, then it takes some of the pressure from Clarke, Ballas and Mayne and stretches Jamison, Henderson, Duigan and Bower who are certainly not unbeatable.

Midfield can hold its own, defence shouldn't be overawed by Hampson and Waite. Forward entries do need to improve, and having a dependable focal point will work wonders for Ballantyne and the like who can mop up well at ground level.

I know it's not a change, but Pav's form would have to be the key this week, surely? I only saw glimpses of the Saints game, but I watched the Brisbane match live, and he was more or less ineffectual.

I have been a bit critical of Pav this season, but I felt his game against the Saints was very workmanlike. Used his body to charge through packs creating lot's of ball movement.

Mayne & Broughton out ............................. yeah sure whatever you're on !!!!.

Out; Dawson(Susp), Suban, Broughton
IN: Silvagni, Lower, Morabito(SUB)

What have you been smoking?

Suban is really the only potential omission. The Dawson incident is a tough call, it was very minimal impact, but was high and deliberate. It's hard to say if they'll give him weeks. Silvagni's WAFL form hasn't exactly been terrific.

As Fred Ziffel said, an unchanged line up may be highly likely.

Grover has earnt a recall and should be get it, and will IMO.

Suban's the obvious ommision.

If Fyfe is good to go, then Neale should make way.

No other changes unless forced through injury or suspension.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out:
Suban
In:
Fyfe - if he is fit - otherwise no change to the team except i'd prefer to see Subs as the sub and Neale in the starting side - that guys can win his fair share of the footy and shovel it out i reckon.....

Sandy calf injury? Any chance to miss? You guys have a plethora of quality ruck man to replace him anyway, what we wouldn't giveto have a Jon griffin or zac Clarke on our list.....

I've given up on Silvagni being recalled for the time being. If Dawson is suspended, chances are that Grover will be his replacement.

I don't necessarily agree with the theory of keeping exactly the same line up every week if we are winning. Injuries in a lot of cases automatically cause a few alterations on a regular basis, but also pressure has to be put on all players to perform as best possible every week. The knowledge that regular good performers in the WAFL will be given an opportunity to take your spot keeps all players on their toes.
We all want Freo to improve and believe we will have a good year if we can have a reasonable amount of luck with injuries and maintain the hunger within the squad even sometimes at the expense of making a statement in delegating a consistantly non performing player no matter who he is.

Suban deserves more time than Ibbotson, Ibo while performing marginally better has been in the system for longer and has far less room for improvement.

Suban also isnt a defender, play the guy in the middle where he is at his most damaging.

Out: Ibbotson
In: Fyfe (Only if fit, lets not create another Clem Micheal/Haselby/Longmuir)

not sure about this one.

To Fyfe, or not to Fyfe, tha tis the question.
I think the usual suspects aquited them selves well enough on the weekend, so there are no obvious excluisons, but old Suban may go close. He has had a rough time this year, either adjusting to the game plan or just bad form. Maybe roberton will come in for him if Fyfe doesnt.

In: Fyfe
Out: Suban
probably the most likely. If Fyfe is a No, the in all likelyhood, there may be no changes.

The problem with Carlton losing yesterday is that they will now be fired up to get back to the winners circle next Friday. They are going to come to Subiaco switched on. I'm glad Freo have this game at home. Ross and the team are going to have their hands full containing the dominant Carlton midfield. Freo' are going to have to lift and be switched on themselves with accurate disposal. Judd/Murphy/Gibbs/Carrazzo/Yarran/Betts will kill us if we are sloppy and turn it over.

It would be really good momentum builder to claim Carlton's scalp this Friday. We can do it, but need to improve.

Sorted:
Carrazzo - out for 8
Laidler, Yarran - possibly do not even make the trip re: injury.

From what I saw of the Ess v Car game - we have every chance. The Ess mids stood up. And Ess ran Car ragged and this may be the game we get our offense going.

note: Looks like Ablett will be out for Round 6.

Rumors saying that Sandi hurt his calf and might be out 1-2. Not good if Griffin is also injured, maybe Kep back in for back up ruck duties if true.

CARLTON will be without in-form midfielder Andrew Carrazzo and possibly Ed Curnow, Jeremy Laidler and Chris Yarran for its trip to Perth to face Fremantle on Friday night.

Carrazzo fractured his shoulder blade in a tackle by Essendon's Sam Lonergan, with Larkins saying he would "probably (miss) eight weeks".

Laidler re-injured the left knee he dislocated against Western Bulldogs in the NAB Cup in the opening minutes at the MCG yesterday.

Though he returned to the field, he was restricted and is in doubt for the Blues' trip west.

Yarran was in obvious discomfort with a toe injury, but Carlton said it was nothing more than a "jarred toe".

Curnow left the field in the first term with a rolled ankle, but was able to play out the remainder of the match.

But Carlton's task of toppling a red-hot Fremantle could be made easier by a calf injury to Dockers ruckman Aaron Sandilands.

Sandilands was inhibited against St Kilda on Friday night and Larkins said he would be restricted in training next week.

Source

CARLTON will be without its best tagger, Andrew Carrazzo, for two months after he damaged his right shoulder against Essendon on Saturday.

The loss, the Blues' first for the season, was further soured by injuries to Chris Yarran, Jeremy Laidler and Ed Curnow.

A week after eclipsing elite Collingwood midfielder Scott Pendlebury, Carrazzo was driven into the turf in a tackle by Bomber Sam Lonergan in the first quarter. He will have surgery today to repair a fracture in his shoulder blade.

Laidler hurt his knee, Yarran damaged his foot, while Curnow pulled up sore with an ankle problem.

The Blues fly to Perth to tackle Fremantle on Friday night and will consider David Ellard from the VFL and Dennis Armfield, who missed last weekend with a knee injury.

Fremantle star Nathan Fyfe, a late withdrawal against St Kilda on Friday night, said on the weekend he was confident of overcoming a shoulder dislocation and playing against the Blues. However, giant ruckman Aaron Sandilands has a minor calf problem that will be assessed this week.

Source

Is Doc Larkins just an outside observer or does he have any affiliations with the club? He appears to be the source of the rumours - not sure if there's much credence in it

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes V Carlton- Round 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Back