Analysis Changes v Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if anyone's noticed, but judging from Brad Lynch's Instagram story Tim English is "getting a game".

I presume that means AFL.
Was coming here to write this, think Lynch has let this one slip.

Cloke for English would be a dream come true. Kill it big fella! I know he's not gonna be in his prime for years and is probably still raw I think he can still show quite a bit at this stage and make the team better for it. The kids just got it, he will not look out of place!

Doesn't necessarily mean Roughy isn't coming in as well and McLean must be a strong candidate to regain his spot. Is English a left footer and wing option? If he is, then both Hunter and Suckling might be in the magoos.

Disappointed if he is indeed dropped. Gives us an option high up the ground and normally has 2 or 3 blokes on him while Redpath won't give us that outlet and sometimes gets out muscled one on one and murdered with a second on him.

Redpath has kicked 5.2 from two games... his exactly what we've needed and I'm astonished people honestly think he should be dropped before Cloke. Took about 10 marks from around the 50 arc in the game against West Coast too, gives us a genuine forward option and complements Dickson and Stringer well.

Disappointed if he is indeed dropped. Gives us an option high up the ground and normally has 2 or 3 blokes on him while Redpath won't give us that outlet and sometimes gets out muscled one on one and murdered with a second on him.
Which is something Boyd can do to a similar level as long as we bring another ruckman in to support him. No one wants Cloke out if no ruckman come in but the strengths Cloke has over Red are easily outweighed by a Roughy/Boyd partnership (who knows with English but we needa get a look at him). No tall on our list does what Red does, none.

If we don't bring Rough in Bev may have lost the plot

Wee been crying out for a ruckman bring one in for the love of God.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cloke stiff. Got us back into the game in the third qtr. Made one mistake, which a very trigger happy umpired made him pay for.
More than 1 mistake I think. 2 direct mistakes - giving away the 50 and trying to torp a goal from outside 50 and kicking it OOB on the full - as well as falling into his old habits of when marking the ball up the flanks and wings, taking ages to make a decision and "holding up" the quick ball movement allowing the opposition to flood the defence. It doesn't help he has those kicks with the really high arcs.

If you watch the game again there was a mark he took 70m from goal in the 1st quarter than he took about 10-15 seconds to actually decide what to do with it. In that case making the wrong decision quickly is nearly always better than making the right decision slowly - you're better kicking it to a 50-50 ball deep inside 50 with an open forward line than you are hitting a lead up target after holding the ball for 15 seconds, meaning we're 15m closer to goal, but the opposition have now gotten 15+ players behind the ball. He was better at not doing this in the first few games he played this year (that we clearly tried to train out of him in pre-season) but this game he fell back into "Buckley as coach" mode with his ball movement which saw him get dropped multiple times last year.

If anything in the VFL I don't really care how many marks he takes or goals he kicks. What I'll be looking for is his intent in moving the ball quickly and taking the first option once he does take those marks up the ground.

The stupid barrel was more the one I was annoyed with. As soon as he mucked up with the 50 you could see his mindset changed to I have to be the hero here.
And it lead to several stupid mistakes.
At least he can play up the ground and play a variety of roles. What's redpath effective at? A cheapie out the back? If the footy isn't delivered to him lace out on the chest he's innefective. Can't take a mark over his head or bend over below his knees.

I have tickets 2 tickets if someone wants to go to Saturdays game-in the players sponsor seats level 2..

got kids basketball on ...

At least he can play up the ground and play a variety of roles. What's redpath effective at? A cheapie out the back? If the footy isn't delivered to him lace out on the chest he's innefective. Can't take a mark over his head or bend over below his knees.

Cloke can play a number of roles pretty ineffectively. Redpath plays one role effectively. Take marks and kick goals. Better player at this stage of his career than Cloke is currently. Goals and other stats would support that. Plus the need for a CHF at this club is a myth. Our mobile marking rucks play this role anyway as well as Bontempelli, Jong and Stringer who can play as the tall marking/lead up targets. We need a tall marking option who players lower their eyes to and kick too. Throw in the fact that he's probably the second best set shot at the club then Redpath should be close to a lock (unless he plays 3 - 4 bad games in a row).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back