Changes VS Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd make the 1 change.

In: Beams

Out: Sidebottom.

Thought Sidebottom tried but he had a poorer game by his standards. I think its good to continually rotate these two. I don't think if we want to win a premiership we can afford to have too many kids in the guts. So continually rotating these 2 ensuring both play around 15 games this year is the way to go I think.

Plus Beams deserves his spot. Had a good pre-season apart from a minor incident.

I'm tempted to bring in Dawes, Brown and Reid...but its too early in the season to go rotating the team too heavily. First get the wins on the board. Beating Melbourne next week is just about the most important game of the year because if we lose, it pretty much undoes all our good work.

I'd make the 1 change.

Out: Sidebottom.

Thought Sidebottom tried but he had a poorer game by his standards. I think its good to continually rotate these two. I don't think if we want to win a premiership we can afford to have too many kids in the guts. So continually rotating these 2 ensuring both play around 15 games this year is the way to go I think.

Plus Beams deserves his spot. Had a good pre-season apart from a minor incident.

I'm tempted to bring in Dawes, Brown and Reid...but its too early in the season to go rotating the team too heavily. First get the wins on the board. Beating Melbourne next week is just about the most important game of the year because if we lose, it pretty much undoes all our good work.

Good thinking. We need the young lads to share the load to ensure they don't get worn down by finals time. And the team needs to settle without too much chopping and changing.

Given the nice win and the fact we are playing Melbourne this week I can't see anyone being dropped on the basis of form, it will be all match ups and management.

I think possibly resting Presti for Ried could be tried as Melbourne lack a big bodied foward and it could be a good oppertunity to get Ried in. Also it's a long season and Presti isn't getting any younger I'd personally like to see him given a week off where ever humanly possible and his importance to our defence means that won't be too often.

Given the nice win and the fact we are playing Melbourne this week I can't see anyone being dropped on the basis of form, it will be all match ups and management.

I think possibly resting Presti for Ried could be tried as Melbourne lack a big bodied foward and it could be a good oppertunity to get Ried in. Also it's a long season and Presti isn't getting any younger I'd personally like to see him given a week off where ever humanly possible and his importance to our defence means that won't be too often.

And someone posted that presti "did an adductor muscle". Where's you adductor when it's a home?

I'd be bringing in Beames simply because he's such an amazing young in and under player who finds the ball very easily.

I'd personally drop Sidebottom simply based off of yesterday's performance, but given we're playing Melbourne I'd be dropping Toovey who doesn't have a match up and also played a shocker yesterday.

Playing Melbourne might be a good chance to give Steele a confidence boost.

I'd be bringing in Beames simply because he's such an amazing young in and under player who finds the ball very easily.

I'd personally drop Sidebottom simply based off of yesterday's performance, but given we're playing Melbourne I'd be dropping Toovey who doesn't have a match up and also played a shocker yesterday.

Playing Melbourne might be a good chance to give Steele a confidence boost.

I would think that there would be a definite match up for toovey (green, bruce, davey, sylvia, etc).

Any merit in possibly resting Presti for the Saints? No obvious matchup for him this week, and resting his aging body early on might do him the world of good. He did lose a step at the end of last year. I'm not suggesting we just rest our key players because it's Melbourne, the primary reason would be the lack of matchup for him.

Beams into the side i would say possably for Sidebottom

Hard to drop many from Sundays side but think we need to start getting more games into Nathan Brown and Chris Dawes but who goes out hmmm

Out: Cloke

Pathetic showing from Travis on the weekend. We'll win against Melbourne without him, so it's the perfect week to show him that his poor form won't be put up with imo. He can come back in when his kicking is semi-dependable and he's actually using his huge frame. He doesn't have any excuses this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And someone posted that presti "did an adductor muscle". Where's you adductor when it's a home?
An adductor muscle is rarely a home, unless of course you're a bacterium or parasite of some form. If you were one of those aforementioned microscopic lifeforms, you would find yourself cosily nestled in the muscular tissues most commonly referred to as the "groin", generally in less politically correct or medically versed circles than those who use the former in their vernacular. :)

L.Brown looks to escaped tribunal so with that I dont think any change will be needed would like to see Beams in but I really dont know who to leave out. Sidebottom whilst very poor in the 1st half looked good in the 2nd half. If it aint broke dont fix it, they played one of the better games I have seen in a while the more i think about it no change at all

Why change a side with so much potential - still no where near our best. Would only take out players that need to be rested - possibly presti and wellingham. Bring in N Brown/Reid and Beams/Caffer/J Mac. Wellingham's run and decision making was the best i've ever seen from him (except getting in Halls way) which is very important when playing the Saints at the dome. Presti is 1st choice for the saints star forward and could be a bit sore after Sunday and according to many of you has no obvious matchup allowing Reid or Brown to get some touch. Apart from that, poor performances from a few of our players (jolly the obvious one) only makes me happier. So much more room for improvement than the dogs. With a strong list don't see why we shouldn't rest players. Looking forward to seeing how obree and ball work at the G. Dome isn't really suited to our style of football IMO.

BJ's own team mates gave him a big wrap post match. But you guys most know better than his own team mates and his coach.

...In fairness, Mick gave Josh a wrap after ANZAC Day last year. These threads always incite such anger. People are entitled to opinions, even if it differs with every other person on the planet. Just deal with it.

If we were playing a top side then Beams for Sidebottom would be my only change. Given it is Melbourne I'd give Sidebottom another chance and bring in Beams and Dawes for Brown and Jolly. Jolly was ordinary and I wouldn't mind setting a benchmark that will make everyone take notice. Brown did some handy things but you can't accpet his f'ups IMO.

That said, why change a side that beat the premiership favorites and beat them well. Handy position to be in albeit after just 1 game.

aren't you the same bloke who's been calling for them to get a real ruck for years? now we've got one and you want to drop him after his first game? some people are never satisfied.

I'm sorry to get personal, but anyone who talks about Leigh Brown or Darren Jolly getting dropped this week or anytime soon is basically a moron.

Leigh Brown had 6 goal assists on the weekend, and shut Will Minson down when Will went forward in the 3rd, he would be in the top 5 for Copeland votes out of that game.

As for Jolly, REALLY? He was playing against the one side in the competition he has traditionally (and statistically) struggled against, and you want to drop him for who?

Sidebottom, Toovey and Ben Johnson are the only 3 players that will be considered by the match committee this week, and I would be shocked if Toovey was dropped, so that leaves only 2 possible changes, unless they want to give Presti a "rest" due to matchups.

Out: Sidebottom

Harsh maybe after 1 game, but we are trying to win a premiership and if harsh is required, be harsh! Beams is already a very good player, looks at home in the seniors and is EASILY in our best 22. Sidebottom looks like a guy who's young and completely lost out there ATM. His strength is his kicking and he was that scared that even that was disgusting. Yes he played a few good games last season but practically all of Beams' games were good ones because he is simply WAY more ready.

I don't want to leave things the same against the Dees who we will most likely beat by a lot. Everyone will star and noone will be dropped for the St Kilda game which will be a game in which we need our best 22 out there. Beams is in it and Sidey isn't ATM.

Johnson played well on the weekend and as has been mentioned previously, the Dees best players are mids who can go forward - perfect matchups for him. I didn't want him to play on the weekend thinking he was past it, but the way he played on the weekend made me see how valuable he still is (or at least his role which we lack). This isn't because he is a star and yes he has lost pace, but he plays the game as if he has it and takes the game on, something even our quicker players such as Thomas simply don't do enough. I see Buckley as the player on the list who if he has a good run of it in the VFL, might replace Johnson but after the shocking NAB series he had and the form Johnson has shown, this position is safe for a few weeks yet. Also, Toovey wasn't "terrible" at all on the weekend. I actually remember a period in the match when he was on Aker and the bleached one was getting lippy with him because he was so pissed off about the butt raping he was receiving. You could tell he felt humiliated because a "dud" was making him look like a dud. He was patchy but not "bad" by any stretch. He will be in and out of the team interchangeably with Goldsack depending on matchups this season.

P.S. NO WAY will we drop Wellingham after his performance on the weekend. He was close to BOG to half time and showed how far he's come with the courage it took to come back on and contribute after being crunched by one of the biggest units ever to play AFL. To drop him is to say "you were good but dispensable" at this point and to "rest" would look the same but veiled. He showed on the weekend that he not only has the potential to be that 22'nd player but a genuinely important player for this club. We basically looked a much better side when he was in the centre than we did when he wasn't. We need to stick with him and give the boy some confidence because when he feels like he belongs, I seriously feel like he is going to explode and be one of the big factors that takes us to the next level.

Out: Cloke

Pathetic showing from Travis on the weekend. We'll win against Melbourne without him, so it's the perfect week to show him that his poor form won't be put up with imo. He can come back in when his kicking is semi-dependable and he's actually using his huge frame. He doesn't have any excuses this year.

Completely agree!

Personally, wouldn't change a winning side but Cloke has been useless at CHF for a while now, needs to learn to take a mark inside 50 more than once a game. Kick chasing in the backline is not his job.

I would also think about dropping 'soft' Fraser, he is useless in the ruck, has been for years, jumps an hour early at centre bounces, always loses hitouts, and gets outmarked by smaller opponents way too much.

Talk about dropping steele after one showing is laughable, it's all about putting games into the future champion, he was nowhere near our worst!

Little bit of a roughie, but I think we have to start thinking about getting a 2nd KPD up and about at the top level.
Not so much (or at all) for Melbourne this week, but with the Saints, Hawthorn and Brisbane (the Cats to an extent) all within the next 9 rounds, I think we need to have someone already playing and in form, rather than trying to plug and play.

We are probably given a bit of a reprieve against the Saints with Kozi getting ruled out, but Stanley still poses a bit of a problem as another tall forward to go with Riewoldt. We obviously need two blokes for the Roughead and Buddy combination, but I'm also thinking well forward to the Brown and Fevola duo which will be extremely potent.

Now clearly Presti takes one bloke in each of those equations, but I think we have to start considering who is going to pair with him in these games. Whether it be Nathan Brown or Ben Reid, and I believe we'll definitely need one of them as I don't really feel comfortable with Leroy manning one of Brown/Fev or Roughy/Buddy, but they need to be played into some touch prior to the game actually taking place.
Neither have played at AFL level for a considerable time now, with Rambo going down injured last year then seeing it out in the VFL.

I imagine we'll probably go with Browny, especially as he hasn't done too badly against Roughy in the past, so I think it's worth bringing him in this week and letting him run into some form rather than just expecting he'll be able to just plug and play.

It is interesting to consider the matchups for all those games going forward, I think especially with an eye towards the Brownvola game, we need another key tall ready to go. Potentially rest Presti and give Nate a chance to build his confidence on a bloke like Miller could be a consideration.
Perfect game for him to work back in to some form in my opinion.

Talk about dropping steele after one showing is laughable, it's all about putting games into the future champion, he was nowhere near our worst!

Errr, no it isn't, not at all. We aren't rebuilding or building for the future. We are a premiership contender now, we aren't gifting games to blokes with an eye to 5 years down the track.
Talking about keeping a bloke in because he is potentially going to be a future champion is what is laughable. He was very close to our worst, if not actually it. He doesn't get a chop out because he is young and a high draft pick.
Best team needs to take the field each week this year, if you aren't up to the grade, well there is a bunch of players champing at the bit to be part of this team. No excuses.

Out: Sidebottom, L.Brown
In: Beams, Reid

I don't think we need Leroy's physicality against the Dees and we do need Reid to play senior games. Leigh has a very specific skillset.. I don't even know if I'd bring him in against the Saints, where he'd likely get outrun and his strength wouldn't be such a factor. But I do concede that he has his uses.

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes VS Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back