Changes vs North

Remove this Banner Ad

The more I think about it the selection policy this year has been beyond bizarre. Certainly seems to be playing favorites, which I thought went out the window with cuddles.
It would be interesting to know what goes on in the coaches box. Is Harves the sort of coach that takes suggestion or is it his way and his way only? Is it a coaching team or just the coach and bunch of other guys watching?

This is an instructive example of inductive logic. 'Everyone' agrees that Johnson is a useless soft waste of space, therefore Harvey must be an intransient favourite player. The simpler explanation is that the other coaching staff don't, at least fully, agree with the opinions of a few fat pimply teenage keyboard warriors who wouldn't put their head over a footy themselves even if every player on the field was hobbled, hog tied and rolled onto their faces.
Now I don't particularly rate Johnson, and I'd love it if he were harder at the footy. But not being hard is not the same as being soft and the reason he hasn't been dropped is because we have had a lot of injuries and generally hasn't been amongst our worst players.

This is an instructive example of inductive logic. 'Everyone' agrees that Johnson is a useless soft waste of space, therefore Harvey must be an intransient favourite player. The simpler explanation is that the other coaching staff don't.....

Harvey has previously given a pretty clear explanation of why he plays MJ, and not held back that he wants MJ to contribute more.

His exact words were "Opposition coaches have to take note of what MJ does, that's why we play him".

In other words the coaching group expect him to bring his usual laconic/freaky bullshit and that's enough. Maybe MJ should be compared to Jared Brennan; infuriating often but sometimes does some sublime things.

The problem for this board/supporters is that he doesn't "bring it" nearly often enough but on those occasions, IMHO, he's hardly Robinson Crusoe in that regard.

With the Tigers winning...we may as well have 1 last crack....

OUT:
Hinkley - waste of space
Duffield - clearly out of form
Pearce - too slow

IN:
Mundy
Schammer
McPhee

Harvey has previously given a pretty clear explanation of why he plays MJ, and not held back that he wants MJ to contribute more.

His exact words were "Opposition coaches have to take note of what MJ does, that's why we play him".

In other words the coaching group expect him to bring his usual laconic/freaky bullshit and that's enough. Maybe MJ should be compared to Jared Brennan; infuriating often but sometimes does some sublime things.

The problem for this board/supporters is that he doesn't "bring it" nearly often enough but on those occasions, IMHO, he's hardly Robinson Crusoe in that regard.

Harvey played Headland for the same reason last season. The other team has to account for him because he may do something however remote a chance it is.

Whats all this talk of resting players, with Sydney losing today it puts us half a game outside the eight even though we are playing poorly while there is still hope we need to have our best side on the park, no need to throw the towel in just yet i'm sure the players havn't.

Hard to pick a side, but I think Mundy, Hill and Sandilands should sit the rest of the season out. Plus anyone else with niggles. Time to prepare for next season, this one is over.

Although it might depend on the Richmond vs Sydney game. I'd expect Sydney to crush the Tigers, but if Sydney lose then I'd say the club will cling to the faint hope they can sneak into the 8.

Yes because making the finals and bowing out first week is what this year is all about. Whether we scrape into the 8 or not is irrelevant to the development of the list. Didn't do the kangaroos too much good a few years ago.

What we need is to play people who actually like football and want to do their best for the team. We could probably drop 8-12 people who aren't like this from the Carlton game.

In: Mundy, McPhee
Out: Hinkley, Pearce

(what i genuinely think will happen - what harvey will do)

Sub: Lower or Mundy

North have a lot of tall timber, faulks, mcpharlin and silvagni all required

In: Mundy, McPhee
Out: Hinkley, Pearce

(what i genuinely think will happen - what harvey will do)

Sub: Lower or Mundy

North have a lot of tall timber, faulks, mcpharlin and silvagni all required

i don't get why McPhee is an automatic inclusion??
Sure he is a big body but he has offered nothing to us this year and I rate him
in the same form as Johnson? But Johnson has kicked more goals?

Role the the dice and play either JA (if recovered) or the rookies/first gamers Hougthon,Sibo,Mellington.

God I hope pav plays at CHF this weekend.
Harvs try some you new tactics or structures,we really have to throw caution to the wind.
All players to put their bodies in harms way & show us you really do give a shit.

Ins: mundy ,Pitt or McPhee
Out: Pearce ,hinkley or jonno

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In: Mundy McPhee
Out: Pearce Hinkley

If Mundy is fit enough I'd make Mcphee the sub, I know he's not the ideal impact sub but he's flexible enough to cover most spots and I don't really want him on the field ;).

Mundy to the middle and Broughton to the backline. I agree with all the talk about needing to recruit someone whos good playing on small forwards but until then (or Faulks gets some more experience) I think we need Broughton helping out.

Yep, Mundy & McPhee in with Chinks & Pearce out.

Watch us still get thumped, it's all between the ears at the moment, which is why it's that much harder to watch.

This, along with poor decisions structurally and when it comes to match-ups/positioning.

People seem to think once we have our best team back we'll automatically start playing well again, well against Carlton the only Best 22 players missing were Mundy, De boer and probably McPhee and we still played like shit. The problem goes a lot deeper than simply injuries.

This year has been a massive waste, Pavlich for one doesn't ever look like regaining his best form again, but I have to give the skipper a bit of the benefit of the doubt. If after a year of playing primarily foward he's still struggling then it's over. But for most of the year he's looked slow, fumbly and low on confidence.

People seem to think once we have our best team back we'll automatically start playing well again, well against Carlton the only Best 22 players missing were Mundy, De boer and probably McPhee and we still played like shit. The problem goes a lot deeper than simply injuries.

Not saying you're wrong, and obviously not an expert on all things Freo, but aren't guys like Hayden, Morabito, Palmer and even Kepler Bradley in your best 22?

Yes because making the finals and bowing out first week is what this year is all about. Whether we scrape into the 8 or not is irrelevant to the development of the list. Didn't do the kangaroos too much good a few years ago.

What we need is to play people who actually like football and want to do their best for the team. We could probably drop 8-12 people who aren't like this from the Carlton game.

We win 2 of our last 3 and we play finals. Can't get over this not wanting to play in September. It's not like we have an archive of finals footy footage to wheel out if we put the cue in the rack.

Next year teams will improve more than we will and making the eight will be no guarantee even with a fit list.

Not saying you're wrong, and obviously not an expert on all things Freo, but aren't guys like Hayden, Morabito, Palmer and even Kepler Bradley in your best 22?

I meant to say Best 22 available this year. Hayden is gone for the year and probably won't go around again next year, Palmer has been low on confidence ever since his injury and is probably going to the GWS next year.

I did forget Bradley, except he's a shadow of the player he was at the start of the year and the selection panel refusing to play him for much of the year combined with injuries hasn't helped that.

But in terms of our midfield we're only really missing Mundy and good teams should be able to cover the loss of a single midfielder, no matter how good he is.

It was also from the perspective of the coaches, and for them Bradley and Palmer clearly aren't in our best 22 when guys like Johnson/Hinkley/Crowley have been getting games over them all year.

This year has been a massive waste, Pavlich for one doesn't ever look like regaining his best form again, but I have to give the skipper a bit of the benefit of the doubt. If after a year of playing primarily foward he's still struggling then it's over. But for most of the year he's looked slow, fumbly and low on confidence.

Reckon this has absolutely everything to do with him being played in the midfield and being beaten up all year. He's too heavy, doesn't have the same reflexes he used to and has never been good below his knees. He's a forward playing in the midfield.

However, he's still smart, a great kick and a good communicator. Exactly what we need in our forward line. Instead, we've got MJ. Go figure.

Hope being played in the midfield all this year doesn't wreck him, and if it does we know it's only the coaches to blame.

I can relate to alot of frustration. The thing with Hill that annoys me is that he was quite a hard footballer when he was young. Now that side of his game has been coached out of him and his tackling is non existent.

End of the day our list is not going to bet much better after this year so the best we can do is try and get atleast some finals experience into everyone.

We should be a team that can beat North. We probably won't, but we should.

So play Hill and tell him to go for body damage.
Play Mundy and Sandi (a week can do a lot).
Play Ballantyne in the role he played in the last quarter last week.

Quite a few to choose from to drop.

Throw Hill at full forward, him being held on the lead by Rawling's will stand out a lot more than around the packs.
Poor kid gets mugged every week with no protection, (see 1st few mins of last qtr saints game, Montagna and Jones tackle him when standing beside pack)
Fyfe was the same, by Gram. (note to umpires, when this kid doesn't fly for the mark he is being &$^#ing held.)

Throw Hill at full forward, him being held on the lead by Rawling's will stand out a lot more than around the packs.

That is exactly what should be done. If Rawlings goes to Hill, Hill should run to FF and sit there and provide leads. It accomplishes two things, keeps Hill's man from getting the ball and Hill should be able to provide plenty of good leads with his agility and speed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes vs North

Remove this Banner Ad

Back