List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade Talk 2016 part 2 - see Mod Warning p 281

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cant undersrand some peoples logic about Cloke.
"We just want to free our salary cap, we will accept a later draft"
Why ? The dogs premieship window is open for the next 5 years! As much as i am sympathetic and like them as a club being born and bread in the western suburbs, were not a charity organisation.
Cloke has been a great servant for us a 2 time All-Australian, however each time there was contract negotiations with him David Cloke would hold a gun to our head semingly stating his doing what is best for his son.
Well he should understand we need to do what is best for Collingwood! Same rules apply a round 2 draft pick is not unreasnable pick in the early to mid 30s, and no paying him for next year, if his really desperate to leave these should be our stipulations.

Because some posters understand that what you want and what you get are completely different. Would I like a pick around 30 or a good player? Absolutely. Do I think we will get this - No.

He spent half the year in the 2s FFS . 10 weeks ago most in this board were saying he was finished. I reckon alot of those same people are the ones saying we will not except less than a 2nd for him.

As for previous contracts I personally think this is completely irrelevant. Clubs do not have to agree to the contact and I reackon 750k to 800k a seasons for cloke was probably not to far of the mark anyway.

Besides he is prepared to renegotiate his contract so we dont pay any of his salary this year. Effectively the 5th year which was always the sticking point has become null and void for us.

If were get lucky maybe there will be a decent young player like a Bailey Dale who wants to move for more opportunity. IF its a draft pick and your wanting about pick 30 I just cant see it happening. Mid 40s at best I reckon.

Get real people- Old blokes who cant get a regular senior game in a side that finishes 12th are not worth much on the trade table.

The youth we have is good enough. If they take the next step, and pendles+sidey+reid+treloar and these kind of players continue their output (or go to even another level) with a sprinkle of good experience, we could be a threat. Look at the dogs for example, a good young team with some experienced blokes holding it all together.
Everyone wants finals.. Wells will play a massive part in that :)

Personally I'm disappointed with this. They did this with the Tom Longeron thread too. Seems to happen to all the good threads.
The only reason it was closed is because Pie Time asked for it to be closed

Three years for Wells is interesting.

I'd hazard a guess his money would be front-loaded, so come that third year he wouldn't be on the chop for much, if he is playing decent footy its a steal, if he isn't and needs to retire, lul into the VFL, it won't be costing us much.

For Wells, its guarantees him possibly $1.5m instead of the $1.1m the Roos would be offering.

Three years for Wells is interesting.

I'd hazard a guess his money would be front-loaded, so come that third year he wouldn't be on the chop for much, if he is playing decent footy its a steal, if he isn't and needs to retire, lul into the VFL, it won't be costing us much.

For Wells, its guarantees him possibly $1.5m instead of the $1.1m the Roos would be offering.

and Extra year or 2

Happy to us to get a little under the maximum possible return if it means Cloke gets to go where he wants and we pay nothing of this salary next year.

He's a premiership player and club champion - I have no issue in helping him find a spot of we don't him anymore. I'd prefer that to delisting the guy or screwing it up and having him play VFL for us next year for $450k.

The Kangas are learning now what happens if you handle moving club stalwarts out poorly.

didnt think robert walls was relevant anymore.

I agree, I don't know why they let him back in the country.........but we don't need people bagging Cloke or the Doggies until he has signed the contract.

Reading stuff like "Travis is finished as an AFL player" doesn't help.

If prefer Koby Stevens over Lin Jong.
*Not rumour*
A few of my "dog" mates reckon he might leave for better opportunity.
I don't know much about Stevens, other than he seems a marginal player at the Dogs? Is he fast, or a good kick?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you suggesting cloke is worth a 1st rounder? I can see us getting a 3rd rounder or a young player from their 2s at best, unless jong decides he wants collingwood.

People on here are kidding themselves. The club are committed to letting him go to the bulldogs. he is not part of our plans. Was not this year and will not be next year. Just because bucks and co say he is still a contracted play does not mean we are holding out for a first rounder or a gun in return.

Take your rose coloured glasses off people. Cloke will not get us much in return

If his name wasn't Cloke, how much would you reasonably expect to get from a 29yo who played reserves for half the season..?

Kinda naive and short sighted to assume Cloke will never again play anywhere near his best.

In a more skilled side under a coach he legitimately likes, Cloke will smash it. He will borderline deliver the Dogs a flag. If that's only worth a 3rd rounder, everyone needs their heads examined. Don't take Cloke's last few season with us as any indication of what he will produce at the Dogs.

Just got a message from a mate (in the know with the Roos) that Wells has cleaned out his locker and on the way to the Pies, so before anyone jumps all over this in typical BF fashion, that what I was told!

Noice.

If he's not costing us too much, I have no real issue with it. Mainly because when he's NOT injured, we've seen first hand how damaging he can be.

Kinda naive and short sighted to assume Cloke will never again play anywhere near his best.

In a more skilled side under a coach he legitimately likes, Cloke will smash it. He will borderline deliver the Dogs a flag. If that's only worth a 3rd rounder, everyone needs their heads examined. Don't take Cloke's last few season with us as any indication of what he will produce at the Dogs.

I thinks its naive to assume he will get back to his best. Cloke may very well play some good footy for the dogs or he might continue along the same lines as this year.None of us know. But its not relevant.

What is relevant is despite being fit this year he played half the season in the twos and clubs are not going to be giving up much for a bloke who played half the year in the 2s in a side where we need forwards.

His value is low because of this. He is prepared to waive the money owed in is contract and re-negotiate which diminishes his trade value even more(as opposed to us paying 200k of his salary)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back