List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade Talk 2016 part 2 - see Mod Warning p 281

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are we comparing Mayne to Blair? One is 188 cm, super fit, very quick, great tackler & can pinch hit forward and back, while the other is a stand in for The game of thrones?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He struggled to get a game for a team that had a heap of injuries and finished 12th.

Imagine if Williams was playing for Richmond and he was in and out of the team. We would all be going on about how we'd offer Richmond pick 70 or just get him in the Pre Season draft.
Cloke for pick 45 - 50 best we can hope for I guess

The article about Collingwood being linked to Stewart was hilarious, It was only based on Gubby being at the club now. lol. Hopefully he just sticks with Carlton.

You're underselling Williams

Not really, he had 1 good year and had a shocker this year. His value isn't very high and I can't see a club giving anything more than a 3rd rd pick for him.

Absolutely no one is giving up a 2nd rd pick for him.

Cloke for pick 45 - 50 best we can hope for I guess

Dogs 3rd rd pick is going to be about pick 50. Which is as good as we are going to get unfortunately.

We got Tarrant from Freo for a similar value, except Tarrant had been playing far better footy than Cloke has

Dogs 3rd rd pick is going to be about pick 50. Which is as good as we are going to get unfortunately.

We got Tarrant from Freo for a similar value, except Tarrant had been playing far better footy than Cloke has
Stuff that and Williams worth less than Pick 30 LOOOOOOOOOOL

With time to fill in before real news starts to emerge, what is everyone hoping for?

Apart from draft picks, who would you like us to pick up from elsewhere?

With the club's stated needs being small forward, tall forward and tall back, who's on your somewhat realistic wish list for players from other clubs?

We can debate actual realities later with weeks to wait yet.

I'll throw these out there:
Walters (Freo) or Matera (GCS) if you think Walters is not on;
Reid (Syd) or one of Brisbane's young talls, maybe;
McKenzie (WCE) or Finlayson (GWS) maybe.

How about you?

So you contend that Marley is a better player than Oxley?? Are you sure you want to be known for that??
Id be more unhappy being known as the guy who rates Oxley ahead of Marley.

Shit - I am out of touch

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you contend that Marley is a better player than Oxley?? Are you sure you want to be known for that??

Trying to decide if Oxley is better than Williams is like trying to choose if it's better being kicked in the head by someone with a 5m or 6m run up.

Neither choice is very good.

I do and I am very happy to be known for that.

Did you only start watching Collingwood this year? Seems you (and many others here) have based your opinion on Marley's ability as a player on this year alone (his poorest year) and your short term memory syndrome doesn't allow you to see beyond the last 12 months. He has clearly outperformed Oxley in the seniors the last 3 years. Williams is only 23, Oxley is a year older. He is about to take off and enter his prime as a player. If there's a choice between the two as to who we should keep on our list.. it's a no brainer for mine.
I don't mind Oxley btw and think we should persevere with him for another year at least. Guy has had his injury issues and has only played the 31 games.

James Siciliy is a perfect player for us.

1) He's 189cms, but plays like a 200cm player. He jumps at everything.

2) We have no forwards that size. White and Moore 10 cms taller. Faz and Elliot 10cms shorter.

3) It's evident that the game is moving away from players who are lumbering talls. Mid sized forwards is the way to go.

Trade suggestion:

Collingwood lose: Witts
Collingwood gain: Sicily.

Gold Coast lose: Omera
Gold Coast gain: Witts, and First rounder.

Hawthorn lose: Sicily, first rounder.
Hawthorn gain: Omera
Sicily is 186 making him 5cm taller than Fasolo. The game is moving away from lumbering talls that is why the new generation of key talls are tall and mobile. We need a key positions player to partner Moore not a mid size forward

Trying to decide if Oxley is better than Williams is like trying to choose if it's better being kicked in the head by someone with a 5m or 6m run up.

Neither choice is very good.
Are you from the Collingwood media department by any chance? Does this mean that Marley's (and Oxleys for that matter) papers have been stamped and you have been tasked with smoothing the way forward?

If not, then you have no excuse for your views.

Are you from the Collingwood media department by any chance? Does this mean that Marley's (and Oxleys for that matter) papers have been stamped and you have been tasked with smoothing the way forward?

If not, then you have no excuse for your views.

If we are going to be a top 4 team again then the truth is Marley or Oxley need to go. Consistent performance is what is required to be successful. Both players have shown glimpses of good footy but in reality they just aren't good enough.

The teams playing in the prelim are GWS, Bulldogs, Swans and Geelong. Do you reckon Marley or Oxley would even come close to getting a game for any of those teams?

If we are going to be a top 4 team again then the truth is Marley or Oxley need to go. Consistent performance is what is required to be successful. Both players have shown glimpses of good footy but in reality they just aren't good enough.

The teams playing in the prelim are GWS, Bulldogs, Swans and Geelong. Do you reckon Marley or Oxley would even come close to getting a game for any of those teams?

Marley finished 7th in the Copeland in his second year at the club. He has shown he is a contested ball winning beast who provides line breaking run and carry from the back half. He's 23 and has has some issues as we all know. Oxley is 24 but has only played 31 games. Inconsistency is exactly what you'd expect from these guys in their circumstances. They both, but especially Marley, have talent and further potential. Bit of patience and perseverance is needed.
btw.. Marley would walk in ahead of Tom Ruggles; for one example

Last edited:
Another piece of useless statistics:
Sicily's career average kicks a goal every 5.5 kicks; 2017: goal every 5.6 kicks
Fasolo's career average kicks a goal every 6.7 kicks; 2017: goal every 4.0 kicks
Bruest's career average kicks a goal every 4.0 kicks; 2017: goal every 4.5 kicks
Mayne's career average kicks a goal every 5.5 kicks; 2017: goal every 7.9 kicks
Blair's career average kicks a goal every 9.5 kicks; 2017: goal every 9.5 kicks
Kersten's career average kicks a goal every 5.1 kicks; 2017: goal every 5.6 kicks
compared to:
Betts's career average kicks a goal every 3.95 kicks; 2017: goal every 3.1 kicks
Rioli's career average kicks a goal every 6.1 kicks; 2017: goal every 4.1 kicks

I agree. On the same token I cannot see how Mayne is worth $500k-$550k a year. Keeping in mind those stats are only this year.
Over past 3 years:
Fasolo has kicked 59 goals in 41 games
Bruest has kicked 156 goals in 74 games
Mayne has kicked 59 goals in 67 games
Blair has kicked 46 goals in 62 games.
For consistency Bruest wins as he has not missed a game in the past 4 years and his stats are better over a 5 year period
One of these things just doesn't belong here. Three of these things are just kinda of the same. Can you guess which one just doesn't belong here? Now it's time to play our game.

Very funny all the Sicily bashing in this thread.

The bloke is 21 years old, he played 22 games this year and kicked 30 goals, he played a little down back at times and high forward.

Collingwood leading goal kicker this year was Alex Fasolo with 25 goals.

Mayne is 27 years old, played 22 games, kicked 18 goals, best year was 2012 where he kicked 39 goals from 23 games.

The people saying Sicily doesn't fit a need, I respect peoples opinions on this board but that is pure insanity, I don't know what Collingwood team you guys have watched this year.

Think long term, If we can land a big forward through free agency in the next 2 years Sicily becomes the 3rd tall which would be extremely dangerous with his agility, speed and leap, ohhhh he kicks straight to if that means anything at Collingwood anymore.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back