Game Day Collingwood vs Richmond - Sunday 28th July 2024 - 1:10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the selections. Great to see Cox and Schultz back, look forward to McCreery next week. McInnes and Richards a bit stiff but logical when you look at team balance.
Agree that Cox and Schultz back is great. But Cox does not replace the need for a second tall forward to play alongside Dan. McInnes was the perfect fit to replace Kreuger. Cox plays as he always did as our second ruck, and covering the entire ground.

Mitchell in the midfield unlocks virtually every other player who would/could potentially spend time in there. His absence is definitely a big factor in our current ladder position.
Yep. In my mind, the loss of Mitchell has been absolutely season defining for us. Since then, we have been scrabbling to find a viable midfield configuration, due to the absence of a power inside mid.

Agree that Cox and Schultz back is great. But Cox does not replace the need for a second tall forward to play alongside Dan. McInnes was the perfect fit to replace Kreuger. Cox plays as he always did as our second ruck, and covering the entire ground.
That's no doubt why Cox was selected over Reef...to be the forward ruck, thus replacing Kreuger.

Jeremy Howe plays defence. Reef in our forward line. Oleg Markov makes way.

Cox replaces Kreuger, assume JDG will spend more time forward in the McInnes role.

Yes, accept that this is another possible scenario. But with JDG absent from midfield alot of the time, we will be weakening what is already a major functional deficiency, ie the midfield.
I assume that’s why Long and Sullivan have been retained in the squad. Wouldn’t mind J.Daicos and Schultz get a run through the middle at times though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm happy to see Ned Long get another crack. His game against Hawthorn was not great, but he was hardly alone. His previous game was OK. Giving him another shot I think is good selection.
Apparently Ned went through a horrendous situation last season when Sam Mitchell promised him a new contract during season, and then callously delisted him at years end

Who knows - the show of faith at selection this week might be exactly what he needs to overcome the Mitchell mental demons

WHE has played the role a fair bit this year and has been significantly better than Reef. Plus JDG is likely to play forward as a target.
If JDG plays.
With him named on the bench, I’m wondering if he’ll be rested to let his groin recover a little.
Hence Long retained.

If JDG plays.
With him named on the bench, I’m wondering if he’ll be rested to let his groin recover a little.
Hence Long retained.
I think he'll play, but not as a mid - unless we fall behind and go into roll the dice mode - I don't think he's up to two way midfield duties with his groin injury.

Long will be in because we need an extra midfielder and Long, Bytel, Macrae or Sullivan - not exactly an exciting field to choose from.

Most coaches would have favourites (players they have extra trust in).

WHE is one for sure but that is due to his ability to slot into various roles and Fly appears to value that.
I agree. Everybody does. But Oleg has been extremely poor over past weeks. Last week the ball lived in the Hawks F50. He had 3 kicks with 2 clangers. He played at times on Watson & Worpel. Twice when Watson goaled when Oleg was his direct opponent, he was not within the same postcode of him. It then becomes more grating when he starts high fiving his team-mates afterwards. He is not providing offensive run from half-back because he is not getting near the ball

The week before he played timed on Stengle & Mannagh, who ran amok. He had 7 kicks with 3 clangers & one turnover resulting in a goal with more high fives. In the same game Reef was on the ground for 2% game time

I think he'll play, but not as a mid - unless we fall behind and go into roll the dice mode - I don't think he's up to two way midfield duties with his groin injury.

Long will be in because we need an extra midfielder and Long, Bytel, Macrae or Sullivan - not exactly an exciting field to choose from.
None of those names would run out of sight on a dark night

If JDG plays.
Hence Long retained.

Watching De Goey last week at the ‘G, you could see how hampered he was at times. I could feel him wincing - ouch!

If we weren’t desperate, I doubt he’d be playing at all.

Macrae was soundly beaten by Carlton’s 19 year old mid in the vfl who torched our midfield with a lazy 40 odd touches. But hey, let’s select him for the seniors
Wouldn’t have selected Macrae regardless but the one who did the torching was Bytel who refused to give off the hands last match in favour of hacking it on the boot to the opposition.

Yep. In my mind, the loss of Mitchell has been absolutely season defining for us. Since then, we have been scrabbling to find a viable midfield configuration, due to the absence of a power inside mid.
Agreed - especially when we no longer have Tay Adams on our list. That trade has hurt us more than expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back