List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
That did catch my attention when he said that. From that a few things his manager has said I get the impression it was WC shopping him around a bit last year that led to the speculation then and not the other way around

Also as someone else has already mentioned, sacking the coach could be his idea of a rug pull

The rug pull IMO is about a contract extension.

Was likely promised an extension or pay rise if he hit certain targets. If the club pulls that then that possibly would get him considering a move.

Job and earning security at 29 with a young family to look after. So wouldnt be a huge surprise.

I think that primary onball trio are all relatively attacking, we need someone more defensive in there to balance it out imo.
Kelly and Hewett also fall into this category.

I dont think this player I want is on our list right now, maybe Duggan could do the job. Ginbey needs to improve his ball winning ability if he wants to do that role

Like a 193cm Davies from the Suns or 'he who cannot be named' from Brisbane.

Both add more defensive two way running.

Parfitt also is a two way running inside mid. Cats have a few of those keeping him out.

We just need the Tigers to hold firm on Rioli. Which I think they will because of Maurice.

Then the Suns picks come into play.
Agreed, I think we’re a big chance to get those picks this year given GCS needs. I’ve have a good look at Alex Davies too now that he’s been mentioned by a few on here (some for quite a while) and I think he’d be a very good pick up. My rolling trade/draft preference would be:

GCS (We pay Ryan salary & no Lombard bid)
WCE IN: 7, 8, Davies
WCE OUT: F1, Ryan

BULLDOGS
WCE OUT: Barrass, Petruccelle
WCE IN: Pick 12ish, 28, Garcia

Draft: 2,7,8,12,23,28,58

FOS, MReid, Travaglia, O’Farrell, Lindsay, Mraz, Champion match (7)
Rookie: Burgiel, Dennis (2)
FA: Cumming (1)
TRADE IN: Davies, Garcia (2)
TRADE OUT: Barrass, Petruccelle, Ryan (3)
DELIST: Rotham, LEdwards, Jones, Gaff, Witherden, Trew, Baker, Rawlinson, Culley (9)

Senior list 38
CatA 4 (Maric, Hutchinson, Dennis, Burgiel)
CatB 2 (Dewar, Livingstone)

2025 R1:
FB: Hough HEdwards Duggan
HB: Cumming Gov Travaglia
C: Lindsay Kelly O’Sullivan
HF: Garcia Waterman Hewett
FF: AReid Allen Long
R: Flynn, HReid, Yeo
IC & S: JWilliams, Ginbey, Maric, Davies, MReid

2025 Beagles:
FB: Cole O’Farrell Bazzo
HB: Burgiel Jamieson Mraz
M: Hunt Hall Johnston
HF: Dewar Darling Cripps
FF: Hutchinson BWilliams Champion
R: Barnett, Brockman, Chesser
IC: Livingstone, Dennis, Sheed, Ruscoe

The picks needed for Warner will be pretty decent picks. Not normally used to land plebs.
But they could be Will Philips and DGB ect. Could also be Noah Anderson and Weitering.

Im taking a known top 10 player in the comp with 10 years left on his career, very single time.

Will also help to keep your Reid’s/FOS/Smillies ect.

Just need him ti want to come home and pick our money and club

TB is 28 and playing excellent footy.
He's also a Perth boy.
One of the few A graders we have.

Let me put it this way.
When was the last time WC pushed a local, contracted A grade player out of the club?

This is exactly the problem that has got us into this mess to start with.

The failure of coaching and recruitment staff to see the writing on the wall for some premiership players at the end of 21, combined with giving up draft capital for Kelly, is the reason we couldn't draft some more talent in.

Had we traded out someone like Sheed, gaff or darling at the end of 21 we would've got a few of high end draft picks. Darling would've gotten us 2 first rounders then.

Some players reach a ceiling in there career and can sustain it. It's recognising when the cliff is nigh that you have to trade them out while still valuable.

Other players have a slow and almost delist type of career and then bang (waterman) but they can't sustain it. This might be the risk we take it we don't trade him. What if this year is the exception to the rule and he drops off to him previous output in 2 yrs from now. This forum will bitch and moan that we should've got the high price from him when we could have.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Can anyone who knows what they're talking about shed some light on exactly what type of mid FOS is?
The pieces I've read don't really paint a clear picture. Seems he's a good mark (not near the top of the ist of traits a great mid requires), is quite evasive & fairly good skills.

What I want to know is:
Production - Is he high production a-la your McKerchers, Jagga Smiths, or more quality of possession type player like Wardlaw
Pace - Is he your break from a stoppage type player, or first possession & dish to receiver (or neither)
Run - does he provide overlap run / through the lines
Contested - is he strong in the contest, wins a lot of his own ball, or more a balanced inside/outside mid
Skills - Good kicking skills (sounds like he's fairly decent).

Who is he most comparable to? Some say Sam Walsh but I sense that's coz they're related. Sam Walsh is a very high production player & I get the sense FOS isn't quite that.
I watch him live most weeks for his school and Coates.

elite with decision making in close and through traffic, rarely gets caught.
Elite disposal by hand and foot.
Elite over head (182 but marks the ball like Heaney)
Elite tank
Well above average speed
Knows how to find the ball

He is exactly what we need.

Been injured a lot in 2024

So mostly based on last year: He basically does everything pretty well.

Not deficient at hard ball but is more outside leaning perhaps to end up as the designated kicker by design?
Usually with a positive outcome with ball in hand, Yet to nut out whether he's just a good decision maker that covers an average kick or has elite ability there.

Doesn't really kick many goals but is quite offensive on the spread and linking up, never seen him push back too hard (which is honestly rare to see anyway).

I'd say not as high production as McKercher or J.Smith but is within striking distance. McKercher was super damaging though while Smith is a bit of an accumulator.

The pack is quite strong and diverse this year so those that have him top #3 cant be laughed at- however he is yet to show IMO that he's a clear standout. Maybe a Walsh style comparison but at a lower level of operating?

There's still another champs game to watch, but was only showing glimpses vs the Allies after injury.
Not really. The one major injury a fractured thumb required surgery. That took him for 7weeks. Yes he another niggle early seasons but it was the thumb that meant no footy for 2 months smack in the middle of the champs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Fremantle losing the race for Shai Bolton. Surely they look at Liam baker. They are not using all their first round picks and I don't think it's wise to put all of that in warner basket which is difficult

With Fremantle losing the race for Shai Bolton. Surely they look at Liam baker. They are not using all their first round picks and I don't think it's wise to put all of that in warner basket which is difficult
Baker's already said "Thanks, but no thanks" to Freo, according to the article yesterday.

Been injured a lot in 2024 ⚠️⚠️⚠️

So mostly based on last year: He basically does everything pretty well.

Not deficient at hard ball but is more outside leaning perhaps to end up as the designated kicker by design?
Usually with a positive outcome with ball in hand, Yet to nut out whether he's just a good decision maker that covers an average kick or has elite ability there.

Doesn't really kick many goals but is quite offensive on the spread and linking up, never seen him push back too hard (which is honestly rare to see anyway).

I'd say not as high production as McKercher or J.Smith but is within striking distance. McKercher was super damaging though while Smith is a bit of an accumulator.

The pack is quite strong and diverse this year so those that have him top #3 cant be laughed at- however he is yet to show IMO that he's a clear standout. Maybe a Walsh style comparison but at a lower level of operating?

There's still another champs game to watch, but was only showing glimpses vs the Allies after injury.
I think you summed that up well Dinnaz.

I usually cringe at the player compassions because it makes a kid out to be like a superstar but I also get why it’s done because it gives an indication of what they could be if they fulfilled there potential.

I get a little bit of Brett Deledio about him. Fraction shorter but good overhead. Probably not quite as athletic as Brett (will be interesting to see his combine numbers) but that balanced type of Mid that also would have the flexibility to play off half back using his good skills and decision making.

What is a player going to say in season?

The part where the old list team might have agreed reshape his deal and the new team might not want to. The part where the Dogs or Swans might offer a deal too good for the rebuilding Eagles to say no to.

Beams cried at the Lions BnF saying they are his family and ain’t leaving. Not long after he was traded. All the decent journos are saying there is still smoke and they are normally pretty right. Been a lot of others.

Not saying it Will definitely happen but I think if it presents we do it.
Please don't compare that fruitcake Beams to Barrass.

Again, tell me the last time the club pushed an A grader out.

Please don't compare that fruitcake Beams to Barrass.

Again, tell me the last time the club pushed an A grader out.
McStay last year? There has been a few.

When was the last time the club was this bad? Especially with any expansion team incoming.

Maybe it was TB pushing it last year and maybe it’s the Eagles that entertain it by not giving him the new deal he wants?

Oh, read that as “a club”.

Yes, we’ve never really shopped players around. Not this century anyway.

We did push Lycett towards the door when he changed his mind and wanted to stay, but not really an A grader.

Also due to salary cap issues at the time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back