List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 52 22.9%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 43 18.9%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 16 7.0%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 22 9.7%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 51 22.5%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 19 8.4%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 8 3.5%
  • Other

Votes: 10 4.4%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 4 1.8%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

As in why not cash and a flag? I think he’d prioritise the cash and as I said a team in the flag window would be preferred but not essential.

Our salary contribution is the interesting part, we could essentially use it to pick purchase but we’d need a willing club that can include a top 10 pick with a tight cap which is a difficult combo to find. Bailey Smith going to the Hawks for pick 6 and us trading with the dogs is still our best bet, but I don’t think their cap is tight depending on what they sign English and Bont for. Also sounds like Baz is off to the Cats.
As in why can’t he have both. The rumoured teams chasing him would know his contract demands and they are all in the ‘window’. If does leave, I don’t think it’s just to the highest bidder, It will be a combo.

Could turbo charge our rebuild?

Trade out some contracted talent and pay their salaries to pick purchase?

Ryan to GCS for 8 & 20
BJ Williams to Sydney for 19
Waterman & F3 to St.Kilda for 5 & F4
McGovern to Carlton for 17 & F1

*The picks are not the valuation purely of the players, more so that of the value of having that player outside of the acquiring club's salary cap
Swans would have zero interest in Williams.

Stk need mids and have a lot of cash.

Carlton probably need their picks for FS depending what AFL does and they would prefer TB then Gov.

Ryan maybe, it is GC and they have form

Yep. MReid is at least on par with the others, I think most clubs will have different draft orders for that group of picks 5-10. Could be one of the uncommon cases where pick is according to need given you could mount an argument for any one of them to be better than the rest.
We already have two many Reids. Couldn't possibly fit another Reid in the squad.

If we can trade two players for first rounders it would be Barrass and Waterman.
Barrass if we get Bazzo right.
Waterman so long as Oallen stays fit.
We have a developing Jwilliams and Areid. We also have a year to go on Darling's contract and he could be depth.
Still wonder if we could get a third or fourth rounder from the Kangaroos for Darling.
He might fit in the Roos forward line for a couple of years. Maybe wishful thinking

I dont mind trading Barrass out. Risky, but i'm coming around to it.
Trade players out when their value is near their highest. If we wait one more year Barrass would be worth significantly less, but right now he would be super valuable to a contending side. Plus we have HE and Bazzo and a year or two of Gov.
Waterman less so unless we get something amazing in return - and are able to get a Zurhaar to replace him.

Remove Hewett from that though there is real doubt about him with his injury going forward

Based upon what exaclty?

Didn’t the club come out and specifically say the injury was unrelated and in a different area to his original foot injury?

I’m also under the impression that once you removed the bone that was causing Hewett so much grief that the percentage of athletes that return to playing their sport at at high level is in the high 90’s.

What am I missing here?

Last edited:
It was Ginbey and Hewett and no one can judge that properly yet. To date, we should have taken Sheezel.

I know for a fact Sheezel would never had stayed. Harry and his family are part of the Jewish community in Victoria.

His first game at Marvel which was against us was one of Norths largest home games of the year (despite big vic teams) and the reason for that was the Jewish community support. So many Jewish kids in Melbourne closely follow Harry regardless of what team they support. One of their own has made it to the big leagues and is doing fantastic.

Perth is an amazing city but it doesn’t exaclty have a strong Jewish community and for that reason alone we never were going to be able to keep him.

Wardlaw is the one I wanted and we should have taken and rolled the dice but we have Ginbey and Hewett now and I rate Hewett very highly.

Time will tell.

If we can trade two players for first rounders it would be Barrass and Waterman.
Barrass if we get Bazzo right.
Waterman so long as Oallen stays fit.
We have a developing Jwilliams and Areid. We also have a year to go on Darling's contract and he could be depth.
Still wonder if we could get a third or fourth rounder from the Kangaroos for Darling.
He might fit in the Roos forward line for a couple of years. Maybe wishful thinking
I think the Roos just might go for Darling, for a late pick. Theyve got Teakle of all players lining up at CHF right now, Larkey may as well be on his own still.
If they could get 2 years out of Darling, thatd be enough to draft a KPF of some sort this year and give him a little bit of time.
Darling would at least take a defender away from Larkey.

Only problem is Darling might not want to go for it, Kangaroos would need to offer him a pay bump and an extra year or 2 I think.
Still unlikely

The Brisbane player who cannot be named will be playing against us this weekend. I look forward to avoiding this forum early next week.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
He'll have about 8 possessions & a couple tackles. Maybe it'll set the record straight once & for all when people actually watch him.

It's a shame because in his first year he looked like he belonged at the level. Maybe just continually not really getting a solid run at it, in the midfield, has stifled his development.

Better performed than Patty Cripps at the same point who is the comparison.

I think he has improved marginally little since last year but not enough to be that bona fide star level of ball hog.
Coupled with a poor champs I think he will be the one to slide.

What he does have is that massive frame and the best ball winning ability we have seen for a while probably since Rowell. And Rowells numbers were still like 20% better overall than Smillie if you want to think like that.
Cripps only grew really really late. Even during the champs in his draft year he wasn't at the size he was drafted at, and well short of the size he is now. Smillie it seems was bigger earlier & thus has less upside when measured against his draft yr performance

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Cal Twomey on Gettable reckons Collard is about to sign a 2 year extension at the Saints.

What happened to him being desperate to join WC and being horribly homesick and wanting to be with family in Perth?

It’s a male thing. All girls are attracted to me and want me.

A look - want me
A smile - want me
A hello - want me
Walk past - want me
Sit down next to me on bus - want me
Exist - want me

I think the Roos just might go for Darling, for a late pick. Theyve got Teakle of all players lining up at CHF right now, Larkey may as well be on his own still.
If they could get 2 years out of Darling, thatd be enough to draft a KPF of some sort this year and give him a little bit of time.

Only problem is Darling might not want to go for it, Kangaroos would need to offer him a pay bump and an extra year or 2 I think.
Still unlikely

he would be better off at clubs like Melbourne where a witches hat is their best tall forward. Not at another struggling club.

I know for a fact Sheezel would never had stayed. Harry and his family are part of the Jewish community in Victoria.

His first game at Marvel which was against us was one of Norths largest home games of the year (despite big vic teams) and the reason for that was the Jewish community support. So many Jewish kids in Melbourne closely follow Harry regardless of what team they support. One of their own has made it to the big leagues and is doing fantastic.

Perth is an amazing city but it doesn’t exaclty have a strong Jewish community and for that reason alone we never were going to be able to keep him.

Wardlaw is the one I wanted and we should have taken and rolled the dice but we have Ginbey and Hewett now and I rate Hewett very highly.

Time will tell.
This is fact. He was never leaving Hawthorn East.

So Cal Twomey on Gettable reckons Collard is about to sign a 2 year extension at the Saints.

What happened to him being desperate to join WC and being horribly homesick and wanting to be with family in Perth?
We likely told him we aren't ready for him yet.

I think Barrass is more motivated by financial security at this stage of his career (which is fair enough). I think he’d consider any club willing to add more years and a pay rise with a preference for a club in the flag window but I don’t think it’s a deal breaker for him.

Heard a strange whisper yesterday about another player who cannot be named. Tall fella at the Dogs mother been talking. :oops: :$

And as we know the Dogs now chasing Barrass?

IMO deal could be something like Dogs agree and dont match Eagles FA offer get end of 1st as offer wont get band 1. Difference may not be that much depending on where they finish.

Compo pick plus Garcia for Barrass?

Eagles in: English, Garcia plus end of 1st round FA compo pick.

Out: Barrass. We pay some of his salary.

Que the melts in.....

Still unlikely

What a bizarre swipe at Teakle. He’s actually been pretty good.

His stat line is virtually the same as Hayden McLeans at Sydney (another state league recruit) who I assume you don’t think is an empty jumper.

1.5 contested marks, 1+ goal a game fwds that can chop out in the ruck aren’t useless

Heard a strange whisper yesterday about another player who cannot be named. Tall fella at the Dogs mother been talking. :oops: :$

And as we know the Dogs now chasing Barrass?

IMO deal could be something like Dogs agree and dont match Eagles FA offer get end of 1st as offer wont get band 1. Difference may not be that much depending on where they finish.

Compo pick plus Garcia for Barrass?

Eagles in: English, Garcia plus end of 1st round FA compo pick.

Out: Barrass. We pay some of his salary.

Que the melts in.....

Hopefully the horrible Shep concussion situation has put the final nail in this coffin and if we take pick 21 and Garcia for Barrass I hope ROB returns to MRP with a flame thrower. Barrass is worth far more to us than that. He’s contracted for three more years. We should be demanding a pick 6-10 and a pick in the 20s or 2 picks 11-15 with a significant salary contribution.

If the club is stupidly going down the English path then it needs to be a band 1 pick (9), pick 28 and garcia with minimal salary contribution.

Hopefully the horrible Shep concussion situation has put the final nail in this coffin and if we take pick 21 and Garcia for Barrass I hope ROB returns to MRP with a flame thrower. Barrass is worth far more to us than that. He’s contracted for three more years. We should be demanding a pick 6-10 and a pick in the 20s or 2 picks 11-15 with a significant salary contribution.

If the club is stupidly going down the English path then it needs to be a band 1 pick (9), pick 28 and garcia with minimal salary contribution.

Well band 1 and pick 9 needs the Dogs to fail and for us to pay over $1m a year for 5 years.

Not sure either of those things happen.

That late 1st turns into Baker?

English, Garcia and Baker for Barrass?

As a minimum that would help stiffen up our depth around all the kids we are bringing in. Two 27 year olds and a 23 year old for a Barrass turning 30. You can see why the club may consider it to stop the bleeding and to build some confidence in the squad.

I know this isnt drafting kids for the future but its how we can get three best 22 players in for round 1 next year and it costs us a 30 year old fullback and cap space.

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Back