List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 2045209

Getting shitloads from our 18-20 year olds, which paints a picture that the rebuild isn’t as far off as feared, but the complete absence of contribution from 21-24 years of age puts those fears right back on the menu.

Emlyn Breese on Twitter, a phenomenal follow.

Games played by age to round 17 compared to % of ranking points:

18-20: 100 (27.2%) 22.4%
21-24: 61 (16.6%) 13.1%
25-29: 142 (38.9 %) 41.8%
30-34: 65 (17.7%) 22.8%

Smillie to Tigers, FOS to Eagles and Trainor to Norf with change would be a pretty good result for all 3 clubs.

I’ve heard the same on Tigers and Smillie but also Trainor in a big way.
I'd still split over just taking FOS, dream scenario would be Murphy Reid and Travaglia or Bo Allen.

I'd still split over just taking FOS, dream scenario would be Murphy Reid and Travaglia or Bo Allen.
The dilemma:
Sheezel
Vs
Ginbey + Chesser

Early picks don't just have higher overall talent levels but higher floors as well.

It seems in our rush to get better now we will give up opportunities for star players and end up a middle of the road team.

The dilemma:
Sheezel
Vs
Ginbey + Chesser

Early picks don't just have higher overall talent levels but higher floors as well.

It seems in our rush to get better now we will give up opportunities for star players and end up a middle of the road team.
It was Ginbey and Hewett and no one can judge that properly yet. To date, we should have taken Sheezel.

It was Ginbey and Hewett and no one can judge that properly yet. To date, we should have taken Sheezel.
I'm aware, but Bo Allen is way off being Hewett!!

Hobbs vs Chesser & Burgiel was the other. Would be handy to have a Tom Mitchell type of extractor tp locl in every week in Hobbs even if he lacks athleticism. (Higher floor)

I'm aware, but Bo Allen is way off being Hewett!!

Hobbs vs Chesser & Burgiel was the other. Would be handy to have a Tom Mitchell type of extractor tp locl in every week in Hobbs even if he lacks athleticism. (Higher floor)
I’d trade down for MReid and Travaglia, I wouldn’t trade down for MReid and Bo. Hobbs was another making homesick noises and judging by his first few years I don’t think we missed out on much. Apart from the top 5 that was a very weak draft overall.

I wonder if the new coach will be able to extract more from Chesser. The guy is almost unrecognisable to the one WC drafted.
Mentally he seems really flat and on the field he is like the physical embodiment of a question mark. Lost all confidence it seems.

Anyway, I hope the new coach helps

That's what most would say, but I have Reid ahead of Draper and level with Lalor and Smith.
Yep. MReid is at least on par with the others, I think most clubs will have different draft orders for that group of picks 5-10. Could be one of the uncommon cases where pick is according to need given you could mount an argument for any one of them to be better than the rest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. MReid is at least on par with the others, I think most clubs will have different draft orders for that group of picks 5-10. Could be one of the uncommon cases where pick is according to need given you could mount an argument for any one of them to be better than the rest.
Give your current mock top 10 picks not including Ashcroft and Leo. Going off the AFL ladder predictor
1- Richmond
2- Suns
3- Roos
4- Crows
5- Saints
6- Hawks
7- Eagles
8- Dees
9- Power
10- Eagles

Smillie doesn’t get enough love. He’s improved his game this year going from around 25 disposals a game last year and under a goal a game to averaging over 30 and close to 2 goals a game. Stats only I know but he’s improved his game from watching him.

Completely different player to McKercher but very similar numbers and generally those numbers don’t lie. Look I know some will say he’s bullying smaller players and hasn’t got upside but I’d actually argue he has heaps of upside.

If he fulfills his potential he’s actually a generational prospect. It’s just hard to gauge his trajectory because there really haven’t been that many 194cm mids that are absolutely dominating at 18s level.

Perhaps there is a little bit of boom or bust about him but geez could easily be sitting on the next Cripps, Bont or Fyfe.
Of course he won’t be exactly like them, he will be Smillie just like each of those guys are slightly different in the way they go about it.
FOS will have to absolutely dominate from here in for Smillie to be there at pick 2.

Give your current mock top 10 picks not including Ashcroft and Leo. Going off the AFL ladder predictor
1- Richmond
2- Suns
3- Roos
4- Crows
5- Saints
6- Hawks
7- Eagles
8- Dees
9- Power
10- Eagles
On ability:
  1. Josh Smillie
  2. Finn O'Sullivan
  3. Jagga Smith
  4. Sid Draper
  5. Murphy Reid
  6. Sam Lalor
  7. Luke Trainor
  8. Tobie Travaglia
  9. Harvey Langford
  10. Christian Moraes
On actual mock draft:

1- Richmond Smillie
2- Suns FOS
3- Roos Trainor
4- Crows Draper
5- Saints Smith
6- Hawks Lalor/Reid
7- Eagles Reid/Lalor
8- Dees Langford
9- Freo Allan (Freo have the Power’s pick)
10- Eagles Travaglia

The dilemma:
Sheezel
Vs
Ginbey + Chesser

I don't think the top supposed few are much better than those I suggested. It's super even this year and I've got a top 9 I really don't think there's much between them all. So that's why I'd happily split this year over other years where there is a clear few top enders.

The draft year you quoted above, I was the one going early on Sheezel and saying how good he will be. I'm doing it again with Murphy Reid, he's silk. 👌
For the record I'm not saying he's as good as Sheezel, but he's definitely top end quality. Shown it with two BOGs for Vic Metro.
So hell yeah I'm splitting this year, as long as we can maintain a high enough pick to secure a Draper, Reid or Smith with our first and another in the next rung of talent.

I wonder if the new coach will be able to extract more from Chesser. The guy is almost unrecognisable to the one WC drafted.
Mentally he seems really flat and on the field he is like the physical embodiment of a question mark. Lost all confidence it seems.

Back to WAFL for the year. Either full time inside mid or HBF. See what he can do and then back him in for a full preseason there.

This is what Chesser is though. Similar to Sinn at Port who got drafted based on being good at U16 level and more physically developed at that age.
Is nothing more than a 10-15 disposal a game midfielder/flanker with no real elite traits, hunger or even leadership.

It's baffling that we went for him so early in the draft.

Back to WAFL for the year. Either full time inside mid or HBF. See what he can do and then back him in for a full preseason there.
HBF. Just get him used to getting a lot of the ball out of defence and distributing it with run and carry. we need to extract metres gained out of his running speed.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

This is what Chesser is though. Similar to Sinn at Port who got drafted based on being good at U16 level and more physically developed at that age.
Is nothing more than a 10-15 disposal a game midfielder/flanker with no real elite traits, hunger or even leadership.

Weren’t Melbourne supposedly into him a few picks after ours?

Either way we probably should’ve taken Matt Johnson at that point and that’s not hindsight. Most on here shat themselves when we moved back but then applauded eagles for doing it and still having johnson on the board… until we didn’t select him of course

Nah in 2021 he was a different player/person

Weren’t Melbourne supposedly into him a few picks after ours?

Either way we probably should’ve taken Matt Johnson at that point and that’s not hindsight. Most on here shat themselves when we moved back but then applauded eagles for doing it and still having johnson on the board… until we didn’t select him of course
I think Melbourne, Brisbane, Richmond and Geelong were in to him

View attachment 2045209

Getting shitloads from our 18-20 year olds, which paints a picture that the rebuild isn’t as far off as feared, but the complete absence of contribution from 21-24 years of age puts those fears right back on the menu.

Emlyn Breese on Twitter, a phenomenal follow.

For clarity, these are our players in the 21-24 age bracket.

Bailey Williams
Brady Hough
Tyler Brockman
Campbell Chesser
Jack Hutchinson
Luke Edwards
Harry Edwards
Callum Jamieson
Jai Culley
Zane Trew

Not sure if those stats are fixed in time or are a moving target; some of those players turned 21 mid season and Petrucelle exited this group 2 months ago, and Chesser joined it around the same time.

Either way - it's a lean group of players drafted between 2018 and 2021, which makes sense given our draft access during that time. It's also worth noting that list could shrink by a chunk of delistees by the end of the year (Ledwards, Trew and potentially Hedwards and Culley).

So targeting players in this 21-24 age bracket is one option, although unfortunately if they're any good it costs us draft capital, and if they're not, we risk list clogging.

Last edited:
Smillie doesn’t get enough love. He’s improved his game this year going from around 25 disposals a game last year and under a goal a game to averaging over 30 and close to 2 goals a game. Stats only I know but he’s improved his game from watching him.

Completely different player to McKercher but very similar numbers and generally those numbers don’t lie. Look I know some will say he’s bullying smaller players and hasn’t got upside but I’d actually argue he has heaps of upside.

If he fulfills his potential he’s actually a generational prospect. It’s just hard to gauge his trajectory because there really haven’t been that many 194cm mids that are absolutely dominating at 18s level.

Perhaps there is a little bit of boom or bust about him but geez could easily be sitting on the next Cripps, Bont or Fyfe.
Of course he won’t be exactly like them, he will be Smillie just like each of those guys are slightly different in the way they go about it.
FOS will have to absolutely dominate from here in for Smillie to be there at pick 2.
Better performed than Patty Cripps at the same point who is the comparison.

I think he has improved marginally little since last year but not enough to be that bona fide star level of ball hog.
Coupled with a poor champs I think he will be the one to slide.

What he does have is that massive frame and the best ball winning ability we have seen for a while probably since Rowell. And Rowells numbers were still like 20% better overall than Smillie if you want to think like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back