List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Does seem like classic West Coast that they had a handshake agreement to increase his wage so he stays and then when they actually did it, they only increased it by a tiny amount

Is that classic West Coast? I would have thought if anything we have handsomely paid and been incredibly loyal, to a fault even.

We arent getting those though.

We arent a northern expansion club or a Vic minnow club.

Future 2nd and future 3rd that must be traded would be the max to hope for.
I think we will get some sort of 2nd round priority pick, maybe one this year and one next year, on the (unspoken) proviso that we use one of them to get Liam Baker. This is a win for every party involved. AFL gets to look like its helping without doing much, we get Baker whilst still having a second rounder to use this year, Richmond get a second rounder that will help their rebuild and Baker gets to come home.

Does seem like classic West Coast that they had a handshake agreement to increase his wage so he stays and then when they actually did it, they only increased it by a tiny amount.
Its one extreme or the other

"I know we only said we would give you 1 year minimum base wage but we giving you 2 years and a pay rise. Congratulations Harry"
"But im the worst ruck in the WAFL"
"Yeah but we believe in your Harry. Form, statistics, mental capability, we can fix these later. For now enjoy your enormous contract"

Its one extreme or the other

"I know we only said we would give you 1 year minimum base wage but we giving you 2 years and a pay rise. Congratulations Harry"
"But im the worst ruck in the WAFL"
"Yeah but we believe in your Harry. Form, statistics, mental capability, we can fix these later. For now enjoy your enormous contract"
I did lol

The front loading is likely why barrass wants to renegotiate. He ate his cake and now wants another cake. He needs to be traded out.

I think the article by Tom Morris posted in here clears this up. His contract wasn’t front loaded - we had no salary cap room at the time - in fact it was likely the opposite in that he’s been on unders

Seems like he’s only chasing to be paid his true value which is fair enough

Slightly disappointing that the club hasn’t really followed through with their end of a handshake deal and I’d be happy if they revisited his pay for the next 3 years but not if that comes with additional years on his existing contract

Interesting to see Collingwoods recruiting over past 10 years, few father sons have maybe saved them from themselves.

2022 probably too early to say.View attachment 2058957

Looks like someone’s just cherry picked all the bum picks, players that have left (Stephenson, Henry), given crosses to players that don’t deserve them (Harrison, Richards) or it’s too early to call (Allan, Ryan) and then included the two guys from 2014 with ticks to make it look like they’re being objective.

Left out 2018 where they got Quaynor at 13 (academy selection though), Nathan Murphy at pick 39 in 2017, McCreery at pick 44 in 2020, and all the late pick/rookie selections that others have listed (Mihocek, Noble).

Also not sure why they call it “worst list management” and then only include draft picks and players traded out. Actually, yes I am. It’s because if they included players traded in (Hill, Cameron, Lipinski, McStay, Frampton, Mitchell) they’d have to use more green ticks and it’d hurt their argument.

Looks like someone’s just cherry picked all the bum picks, players that have left (Stephenson, Henry), given crosses to players that don’t deserve them (Harrison, Richards) or it’s too early to call (Allan, Ryan) and then included the two guys from 2014 with ticks to make it look like they’re being objective.

Left out 2018 where they got Quaynor at 13 (academy selection though), Nathan Murphy at pick 39 in 2017, McCreery at pick 44 in 2020, and all the late pick/rookie selections that others have listed (Mihocek, Noble).

Also not sure why they call it “worst list management” and then only include draft picks and players traded out. Actually, yes I am. It’s because if they included players traded in (Hill, Cameron, Lipinski, McStay, Frampton, Mitchell) they’d have to use more green ticks and it’d hurt their argument.
Dont forget Nick and Josh Daicos. Getting Nick was just monumental and cant just be ignored cos its father/son

Metro MVP Murphy Reid played mostly on ball in his three other Champs games, but showed his versatility in this performance playing predominantly wing and half forward. He was still one of Metro's most productive players, using his poise and precision to cut through the WA defensive lines.

Not a bad life as an AFL player, when you decide you're no longer happy with the length or value of a contract you willingly signed, tell the club you'll go elsewhere for a better offer.

Pity it doesnt work in reverse - you're welcome simmo, gaff, darling.

As much as losing TB will suck, I think it's necessary for our list build.

So lets say we get a AFL handout of 2 priority picks this year and we got pick 3,20,21,25 , how much do we actually want another top 30 pick here? With such a draft hand we are likely to end our hand at pick 25 and its unnecessary if we want to get Malaki Champion who could easily be available to us with out pick 56 via matching a bid.

5 picks of 3,20,21,25 and 56 should be enough. 3,9,20,21,25 to me is overkill . I dont have much interest in trading 2 of these picks for like pick 10-12 either. Not enough upside to head down that far

Can’t be counting on priority picks we haven’t received or even had an indication we might receive. Even if we did get them, FA compo for say English and Battle pushes them out to 22,23,27. Zurhaar might yet leave as a FA also

So those picks are moving away from the pointy end of the draft. Another pick in the top 10 would still be very useful and would give us the option of combining two of those picks in the 20’s to move up into a pick in the teens

Alternatively, instead of trading Barrass for a pick(s) this year we could trade for future pick(s). An extra R1 pick next year gives us more trade options in 2025 or a better draft hand

We need more draft capital and whilst it would be nice if we were gifted them by the AFL that can’t be relied upon so we have to be at least exploring other options like trading a favourite player who actually has genuine value

I think the article by Tom Morris posted in here clears this up. His contract wasn’t front loaded - we had no salary cap room at the time - in fact it was likely the opposite in that he’s been on unders

Seems like he’s only chasing to be paid his true value which is fair enough

Slightly disappointing that the club hasn’t really followed through with their end of a handshake deal and I’d be happy if they revisited his pay for the next 3 years but not if that comes with additional years on his existing contract
Yes, based on this information if true, the club should honour the verbal agreement and up his wage significantly.

This explains his mysterious statement about the rug being pulled out from under him.

Agree that we should not extend the length of the contract though.

Can’t be counting on priority picks we haven’t received or even had an indication we might receive. Even if we did get them, FA compo for say English and Battle pushes them out to 22,23,27. Zurhaar might yet leave as a FA also

So those picks are moving away from the pointy end of the draft. Another pick in the top 10 would still be very useful and would give us the option of combining two of those picks in the 20’s to move up into a pick in the teens

Alternatively, instead of trading Barrass for a pick(s) this year we could trade for future pick(s). An extra R1 pick next year gives us more trade options in 2025 or a better draft hand

We need more draft capital and whilst it would be nice if we were gifted them by the AFL that can’t be relied upon so we have to be at least exploring other options like trading a favourite player who actually has genuine value
Wont we get a answer about priorty picks before trade period exists?

Not a huge fan of making 2025 trade hand better for the exact logic you mentioned. We cant rely upon it being good or worthwhile. Id be very wary of a 2025 pick being eaten up by Charlie Banfield when we may be better off ignoring it and letting the points come from later picks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, based on this information if true, the club should honour the verbal agreement and up his wage significantly.

This explains his mysterious statement about the rug being pulled out from under him.

Agree that we should not extend the length of the contract though.

On one hand I’m not happy that we seem to be reneging on a handshake deal, even if that agreement was with previous management

On the other, if this an indication from Pyke/Clarke that we intend taking a harder stand and putting the clubs best interests first then that’s a positive

Still torn on the possibility of losing Barrass though - head and heart are in house of the dragons level conflict at the moment

On one hand I’m not happy that we seem to be reneging on a handshake deal, even if that agreement was with previous management

On the other, if this an indication from Pyke/Clarke that we intend taking a harder stand and putting the clubs best interests first then that’s a positive

Still torn on the possibility of losing Barrass though - head and heart are in house of the dragons level conflict at the moment
It’s fine to feel like that. He’s been a good player and we will be worse in the short term without him. On the other hand we need to find ways to improve our draft hand and there’s no guarantee the AFL will assist. I feel much the same way as you do.

Id rather we take a harder stand against the AFL then our own players..... Pyke so far just appears another softball when it comes to dealing with the AFL. Id like to have seen him go harder about things such as the AFL reserves, soft cap screwing us over, beating drums about priority picks and also most importantly the absolutely disgusting treatment our AFLW side has had to put up with so far with absolutely no help when compared to the rest..

I'd be happy giving him a 50-70k pay rise p.a over the next 3 years. If we extend the contract, it should be for only one year and at 400k-500k. If hes legitimately getting significant more in other offers over 5 years, he's smart enough to understand WCE won't do that at this stage of the rebuild and we would receive a 1st and at least a 2nd/F2. I believe Twomey said Sydney were prepared to offer more than their 1st for him. Iirc when pressed how much more, he just answered "more."

The ethical decision is to honour the agreement.

If your word can’t be trusted where do you end up?

But we do need draft capital and I can’t see where that’s coming from.
But this need shouldn’t mean we do the dirty on loyal servants.

The club may have overdone the loyalty thing and indulged people but this doesn’t mean we should go to the opposite extreme and become rats.

Firmness but not dishonesty.

Find this whole conversation dumb in the sense of, why the **** are we giving up an asset to get multiple early picks

This is what asking for compensation is meant to achieve...

Why would the AFL support us becoming a worse team in order to achieve a result they can create themselves. Instead of trading away assets to get early picks, ask the AFL to give it to us for free and watch them do it.

The same reason the afl supported north trading Mackay twin to bombers.

Trade Barras for an early first rounder (say Hawks pick 8) AND get a couple of end of future firsts PP to use as trades and we go into the draft with 2 8 23 4/5/6h rounders (the draft goes deep) and bring in baker, garcia and/or Carroll for nothing.

So that's 6 kids in the draft

And 4/5 mature decent mid 20s players

Carrol 21
Garcia 23
Baker 27
English 26
Cumming 25

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

The article is vague about the handshake deal, Eagles came back with an offer, Barrass didn't like it. It's not reneging. Maybe the Eagles offered 75-100k extra a year, maybe he wanted or was expecting double that.

He has 3 years left on his deal and it's decent money, the club didn't have to do anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back