List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
My new dream off season with TB now being linked to Hawthorn

Sign English via RFA

Priority picks: two end of 1sts that we HAVE to TRADE

Trades:
WC give: Barrass, F2
WC get from HAW: 8, F1

WC give: B.Williams
WC get from MEL: 38

WC give: 1X priority pick
WC get from RIC: Baker

WC give: 1X priority pick, 38
WC get from BRI: 16

WC give: F3
WC get from WBD: Garcia

Ideally we’d also be shipping out 23 and Ryan for one of the Suns firsts and Davies, but I don’t see Ryan wanting to leave WA so I’ll leave it at that.

I think all of those deals are realistic, two obviously depend on us getting priority picks which is probably more unlikely than likely unfortunately.

But if it does eventuate and we can go into the draft with picks - 2 or 3, 8, 16 and 23, that would be an incredible haul, I probably wouldn’t split our first considering the Saints will get Band 1 Compensation for Battle and we’d already have 8 and 16 anyway.

You add English, Baker and Garcia into our line up immediately, plus a couple of the top end draftees and suddenly our side and list looks a fair bit better in the short term and especially the long term.

Again, this is just a bit of fun, I’m not saying all those deals will happen, but if you look at the deals in isolation, I think they are all very realistic.

The unfortunate truth is that I'd have preferred Duggan to go over Barass, and try and manufacture him a good contract somewhere to net us a first round pick compo (see for eg, the McKay/Essendon/Roos scenario last year)

A small defender like Duggan (who lets be honest is a pretty mundane player prone to errors) is far less important and replaceable than a big key defender like Barass. Especially with the way the ball enters our D50.

Part of me feels a more ruthless and savvy club could have manufactured this but we are nowhere near that level.

The only potential downside is if we were to snag English and then dilute the Duggan compo.

The unfortunate truth is that I'd have preferred Duggan to go over Barass, and try and manufacture him a good contract somewhere to net us a first round pick compo.

A small defender like Duggan (who lets be honest is a pretty mundane player prone to errors) is far less important and replaceable than a big key defender like Barass. Especially with the way the ball enters our D50.

Part of me feels a more ruthless and savvy club could have manufactured this but we are nowhere near that level.
Tend to think this exact logic is true of Liam Baker but not stopping is talking to the guy all the time...

The unfortunate truth is that I'd have preferred Duggan to go over Barass, and try and manufacture him a good contract somewhere to net us a first round pick compo (see for eg, the McKay/Essendon/Roos scenario last year)

The only potential downside is if we were to snag English and then dilute the Duggan compo.

Duggan isn't worth as much in draft currency.

You don't push out your Victorian Captain in the same year you're trying to convince a pretty special Victorian kid to hang around long term.

You don't push out your Captain at all. I suspect the Captaincy decision to go with Duggan over TB was because TB had a foot out the door having a sniff around last year.

Bulldogs fans don’t think barrass is worth more than mid first. Apparently something about how stringer got pushed out.

Difference is barrass is making the moves…we are happy with barrass staying for 3 years.

Does seem like classic West Coast that they had a handshake agreement to increase his wage so he stays and then when they actually did it, they only increased it by a tiny amount.

“Classic” west coast?

Classic west coast is giving unwarranted contract extensions and pay rises. No wonder barrass thinks “what about me”.

Bulldogs fans don’t think barrass is worth more than mid first. Apparently something about how stringer got pushed out.

Difference is barrass is making the moves…we are happy with barrass staying for 3 years.

Barrass hasn't been sleeping with underage girls or has a massive gambling problem either like old Jake

Bulldogs were happy to move on Stringer for his off field stuff

If Dan Houston is set to command 2 x Firsts

TB has to be close to that in terms of market value

It's a heartbreaking call, but we need to start winning the ball in middle and not rely on our defence

Plus HEdwards must be close to leaving, if he doesn't start playing each week

Shaping like a must do move for our future progression

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Dan Houston is set to command 2 x Firsts

TB has to be close to that in terms of market value

It's a heartbreaking call, but we need to start winning the ball in middle and not rely on our defence

Plus HEdwards must be close to leaving, if he doesn't start playing each week

Shaping like a must do move for our future progression

Gotta keep Harry.

I don't mind paying TB if he chooses to stay, I think it would be bad business to extend him further. My concern is losing Edwards and then TB's body gives away/he gives it up before we contend again. Gov will be gone, age + his play style, he is another hard hit away from having to reconsider. Means we're stuck without a KPD at all... other than maybe Bazzo?

In five years time, would we look back on keeping him and go ****... we had a chance for big draft capital to accelerate things and we let it go again, just like Gaff, Darling etc... whoever else had offers on the table years ago (albeit at a not so desperate stage for the club). Letting Judd go was still a win/win.

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back