List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Ongoing discussions:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
Judge on the draft imo. I think if we can get 4 or 5 top 40 picks and a best 22 player for 3 and 14 (Barrass) I'm fairly satisfied, still need to draft well though.

I'm sure the justification will be that our first preference player, or close to, is there at 6 anyway. But that's cold comfort, and it's not really a good explanation at all. If anything it's symptomatic of the problem.

The stuff about 'what the fans think vs what the experts think' is patronising and delusional. There's plenty of very informed opinion and good judgement on here and our experts have hardly covered themselves in glory in recent history.

coolest-pee.gif

I'm sure the justification will be that our first preference player, or close to, is there at 6 anyway. But that's cold comfort, and it's not really a good explanation at all. If anything it's symptomatic of the problem.

The stuff about 'what the fans think vs what the experts think' is patronising and delusional. There's plenty of very informed opinion and good judgement on here and our experts have hardly covered themselves in glory in recent history.

The difference is it is peoples jobs to recruit for the club, us on here just have an opinion on what we see. There is so much stuff done behind the scenes that isn't public opinion.

I don't think it's patronising or delusional at all.

Destroys the trade out A graders to rebuild scenario .
How are Richmond able to demand #6 and #13 for Rioli and Collingwood #13 for Noble and we can’t do much better than #14 for Barrass?

What is wrong with our club, we are so weak. This is a reason why we are in the hole that we are in.
Maybe Worsfold can help.

I’ll be the bearer of bad news. From what it “sounds” like, we are trading Baker for 14 and “more.”

The difference is it is peoples jobs to recruit for the club, us on here just have an opinion on what we see. There is so much stuff done behind the scenes that isn't public opinion.

2 first Rounders for Barrass or he stays ... simple .
We dont want Baker full stop .

Yeah the what the experts think explanation is pretty weak, they've made plenty of obvious mistakes and people here are reasonably informed. We were melting about the Chesser pick, a lot of us were melting about the trade back and missing Sheezel/Wardlaw (I get why). Nothing's paid off from these.

I know eaglevision mentioned Melbourne are looking at Bo Allan so that may be where Twomey is coming from, can't help but feel we're being buttered up for a 'he was our preference at 3 so we might as well trade back and get an extra pick'. Hold me.

Remember when we all thought a new list manager would put behind us the days of being soft at the trade table?

No more Pie man, no more crazy Vozzo.

Surely things will be different.

We’re all idiots, at least now I can brace myself and deal with it. I just wish I was wearing knee pads today. 🤣

This is my mega trade. Maybe someone has already done this and your attitude on this will depend on how you view the mid first round picks.

Fremantle:
OUT: 10, 11, 18,
IN: Bolton, 24, Hawks F2,

Westcoast:
In: Pick 10, 11, 18, Baker
OUT: Pick 3, Barrass

Richmond:
IN: 3, 14,
OUT: Bolton, Baker, 24

Hawks:
IN: Barrass,
OUT: 14, F2

Draft hand of 10, 11, 18, 26 with Baker and Graham coming.

Edit: Missed the other half of pick 11 and shuffled things around

Last edited:
We give pick 3 to GCS for picks 6 & 13. GCS then trade pick 3 to Richmond who trade Rioli to GCS and (an OOC) Baker to WCE. So WCE out 3 and in 6, 13 and Baker. Richmond out Rioli, Baker & in pick 3. GCS out 6, 13 & in Rioli. GCS are losing so might need something back.

Trade Barrass to Hawthorne for 14, F2 and 33. Once this is done trade 13, 14 and our F2 (which could be higher than Hawks F2) to St Kilda for picks 7 and 8.

We end up with picks 6, 7, 8, 33, Baker and Hawks F2 for the loss of Barrass, pick 3 and F2.

Jon Stewart Reaction GIF

I'm not an astute draft watcher but is there a huge gulf between 10 and 18 this year?

I do know the very top end does not have a Harley Reid type unequivocal number 1 by the Flemington straight.

As far an a standout no1 this year - I haven't followed the candidates like others on here, but am guessing that maybe Ashcroft might be it (but not available to most clubs)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Baker is happening for 14 whether we like it or not, grabbing 24 back is a good deal. What fans think and what the experts think are entirely different things.

If Eagles first round choice is still going to be available at 6 and we grab another first rounder so be it.
I honestly don't mind it

Barrass for 14 and a F1st

14 for Baker and 24

3 for 6 and 18

Means we have picks 6, 18, 24, 26 in a deep even-spread draft. There's solid logic.

That said I'd rather we go full geelong, become proper campaigners and go in without lube

Cal on Gettable saying Bo Allen will come into calculations from pick 5!
Dearly hope we don’t slide back and take him.
We need a genuine mid not a hbf cum mid

Lol, I can’t believe there’s a very likely scenario where we give up 14 for Baker, slide back from 3 and our highest pick this year is Bo Allan.

That would genuinely make me vomit

I rate Allan, but he’s not the prototype we need and there’s about 12 other kids ahead of him that suit us better

We give pick 3 to GCS for picks 6 & 13. GCS then trade pick 3 to Richmond who trade Rioli to GCS and (an OOC) Baker to WCE. So WCE out 3 and in 6, 13 and Baker. Richmond out Rioli, Baker & in pick 3. GCS out 6, 13 & in Rioli. GCS are losing so might need something back.

Trade Barrass to Hawthorne for 14, F2 and 33. Once this is done trade 13, 14 and our F2 (which could be higher than Hawks F2) to St Kilda for picks 7 and 8.

We end up with picks 6, 7, 8, 33, Baker and Hawks F2 for the loss of Barrass, pick 3 and F2.

Jon Stewart Reaction GIF

Unfortunately, that's a big step down for the Saints & we'll need future picks.

Cal on Gettable saying Bo Allen will come into calculations from pick 5!
Dearly hope we don’t slide back and take him.
We need a genuine mid not a hbf cum mid

Don't recall who it was yesterday on SEN in the evening wrap, but the conversation was that Bo Allen won't be a top 10 pick, but won't be far outside the top 10.

Last edited:
Who was the bonus player when we traded back for Chesser?

I know Hewett was the bonus player we got for trading back for Ginbey.

I'm sure there's been other occasions where we traded back for a bonus player.

Unsure if any of them have been a success to date, but would love to be proven wrong. Would give me more confidence if we cough up Pick 3.
Burgiel the following year

On SM-A155F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Lol, I can’t believe there’s a very likely scenario where we give up 14 for Baker, slide back from 3 and our highest pick this year is Bo Allan.

That would genuinely make me vomit

I rate Allan, but he’s not the prototype we need and there’s about 12 other kids ahead of him that suit us better
Allan at 14 or 16 on draft night is a good get, Allan at the expense of pick 3 + accommodating baker is batshit crazy

On SM-A155F using BigFooty.com mobile app

It manifestly is.

"it is peoples jobs to recruit for the club, us on here just have an opinion on what we see."

That's just a blank appeal to authority. Yeah they're paid to do it, so what? It's the deliverances of expert knowledge vs silly layman opinion?

Obviously there's a kind of idealistic or impractical mob-think that the fanbase can be prone to, and no one thinks club decisions should be somehow democratic, but I wonder how the relevant people would feel about pretty much everyone being totally dismayed with their conduct.

is there any way to filter out any posts that have 'mega trade' or thereabouts in it?

I'M surE there's Got to ba A way To do it, pRobably heAD ovEr to the suggestions board for more info.

I know eaglevision mentioned Melbourne are looking at Bo Allan so that may be where Twomey is coming from, can't help but feel we're being buttered up for a 'he was our preference at 3 so we might as well trade back and get an extra pick'. Hold me.
Yep I’m pretty comfortable that he is referring to the Dees and not us but who knows what is going through Clarke’s head. We might use pick 3 on Dev.

It manifestly is.

"it is peoples jobs to recruit for the club, us on here just have an opinion on what we see."

That's just a blank appeal to authority. Yeah they're paid to do it, so what? It's the deliverances of expert knowledge vs silly layman opinion?

Obviously there's a kind of idealistic or impractical mob-think that the fanbase can be prone to, and no one thinks club decisions should be somehow democratic, but I wonder how the relevant people would feel about pretty much everyone being dismayed with their conduct.

We can all have our own opinions on players and drafts but at the end of the day we get no say, I've long since gotten over getting worked up over trades and drafts.

I've had one recruiter tell me we should consider ourselves lucky that such a good player in Baker wants to play for us, going by a lot of opinions here we're mad to even be considering him.

Nothings ever going to be universally accepted unless it is H.Reid pick 1.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back