List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Ongoing discussions:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:

Doesn’t need to be Ginbey size but his frame is very slight, no shoulders etc. Might put on muscle but will never have the size to trouble the better contested players in the league.
This is my point though - we need a clean and efficient user more than anything. If we can draft a Neale regen to compliment our bigger Ginbey / Reid types, we're laughing.

Bombers could trade 9 for Nths future 1st

My industry sources told me that the supposed Carlton trade was so ****ing stupid and made no sense.

"The new talks would also ensure West Coast wouldn’t need to rely on trading Barrass before it can acquire Baker.

It’s believed Hawthorn’s latest offer for Barrass is a future first-round pick and a second rounder (either tied to Hawthorn or Carlton), with a future later pick also going back to West Coast."

Don't know if this means Hawks have upped their offer or it's a misprint and meant to say "back from WC")

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone but me think the fact we don’t have a priority pick is the biggest issue we have right now. If we had even 1 end of first round pick basically all our problems we are working on are solved
I don't understand why we don't kick up a stink.

We've won 10 out of last 70 odd games.

That's garbage and (along with Norfs crappyness) has literally changed the AFL ladder for 3 years.

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

View attachment 2139811

Vs

View attachment 2139812

Is there that much in it? Jagga has your typical Ectomorph build. Neale definitely bigger in frame. Only 2-3KG in it at draft time though, if that - Smith was listed at 70KG start of the year. Neale 73kg at draft.
jagga's wrists don't look overly small there which is a pretty okay indicator for muscle growth potential. i think the angle and pose make his shoulders look smaller than they really are too.
15630f1b77b44c2012db5afcfdaaafbe.jpeg

Itd be more logical for us to trade a future 1st to get Essendons pick 9 then it is to split pick 3....

26 + 63 + f1st for pick 9 + f2nd would work

After this I feel we could easily turn pick 9 into pick 15 and 16 from GWS if we want also
So trade our F1 for pick 15 & 16….righto

Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

I'll start by saying, lots of people don't rate or like Curtin but I do.
I think he could easily be a midfielder ala Dawson, playing through the middle or on a wing. His kicking is beautiful.
Equally could be a half back flanker and use his kicking off half back to slice teams up.

Good comparison ECE :whitecheck: Dawson :thumbsu:
If you want quick ball movement you also want accurate foot skills, thats Curtin's point of difference. Me - I would start him on the HBF and then transition him to the wing.

Going forward would love him and Freddy Rodriguez ( next years cohort ) in our team.
Our forwards would be salivating at the prospects of being on the end of their foot passing into the forward 50.

Ranking wise I'd go:
Jagga
Ashcroft
Draper
Lombard
Reid
Lalor
FOS
Trainor
Smillie
Langford

Ashcroft - pure footballer - elite at nothing - good at everything - High Footy IQ - much tougher and harder than his brother.
Lalor - high risk high reward, could end up the pick of this years crop.
Reid - All class and a smooth mover suited for the modern game.. cunning as.
Draper - Ready to go and not the sexy pick, but he certainly is the smart pick, lock to make it at the next level.
Lombard - Just a classy player and I may even have him too low here.
Jagga - Slippery, agile, elusive the rubber man who can extricate himself out of heavy traffic... oh and gets a ton of it.
FOS - Might be being a bit harsh here, his injury woes worry me, whoever gets him will be thrilled, 200 game player.
Langford - Smart , elite smarts, great ball user and his peripheral vision as good as I have see, also strong overhead.
Travaglia - I rate him this high, the perfect run and carry player, you want fast ball movement he is your guy.
Smillie - Under ratted and undervalued, not super quick but impactful, also can hit the score board, a true balanced mid.

Trainor - I would not draft two red flags 1- medical and 1 - psychological.

Trainor is an immense player, but for reasons I think he goes 16 to 25 range.

See above comment.

Curtin has plenty of weapons to his game, versatility, kicking, accumulation, one on one, marking. He got bad press here, because everyone wanted Harley last year and pissed their pants thinking we'd trade for Curtin.

He would be a definite trade target that I think we should go after next year.

Also think his younger brother Cody is going to be a good AFL player, who at this point in time I have an early to mid second round grade on him, in next years cohort.
Cody is 197cm already and still growing could end up being a 200cm + KPP, a watch point is his pace, but if he grows some more, that may be less of an issue, like Dan he has good footskills.
He had two games late in the season when Claremont moved him into the forward line, both games he kicked 6 goals straight.

Last edited:

Attachments

• images (1) (28).jpeg
    images (1) (28).jpeg
    46.1 KB · Views: 19
View attachment 2139811

Vs

View attachment 2139812

Is there that much in it? Jagga has your typical Ectomorph build. Neale definitely bigger in frame. Only 2-3KG in it at draft time though, if that - Smith was listed at 70KG start of the year. Neale 73kg at draft.
looking at that compairson jagga has a hough frame more than neale

"The new talks would also ensure West Coast wouldn’t need to rely on trading Barrass before it can acquire Baker.

It’s believed Hawthorn’s latest offer for Barrass is a future first-round pick and a second rounder (either tied to Hawthorn or Carlton), with a future later pick also going back to West Coast."

Don't know if this means Hawks have upped their offer or it's a misprint and meant to say "back from WC")

us accepting a future first and a second pick is no different to us accepting pick 14 and a future or current second.

whorks can GAGF.

Considering future picks are worth less than this year's picks it seems like a worse offer

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back