List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought we should trade down to 6? That way we potentially miss out on Jagga, Draper, FOS, Langford and Smillie. I'm sure the sixth best midfielder will be great. Just awesome stuff.
Caruso mentioned lalor as in the mix for pick 1 and he's prob my fav after draper... So...... ?

Fair chance this is just a Ralphy fantasy, but if the deal was Baker and 6 for 3, how would people feel about that?

If we were targeting a Langford or a Lalor they might be there at 6 anyway.

Fair chance this is just a Ralphy fantasy, but if the deal was Baker and 6 for 3, how would people feel about that?

vomit GIF

Rather they be there at that on the night and slide back with someone in a live trade if we’re so confident. Pick up some steak knives in the process.

3/12/Baker (23)/Champion.

That’s the play.

Edit: just read the article - it’s baseless Tigers speculation. Basically a wrap up of the trade requests and speculating how they get done.

Ralphy running with the old "trade back in the draft to secure the WA boy" line again...

The club also doesn't seem to be interested in involving DGB in any trade for Barrass

West Coast would be open to trading its No. 3 pick to Richmond if it secures Liam Baker with all options open as both WA clubs await an official decision on the Tigers vice-captain.

The depth of the draft means the Eagles might be prepared to accept a pick back later in the top 10 if they secure their man.

Richmond’s new chief executive Shane Dunne this week warned rivals it will take something “extraordinary” to drag contracted players Shai Bolton and Daniel Rioli out of Punt Rd.

Baker is uncontracted, and while he is leaning towards the Eagles, his management has told the Dockers and West Coast he is yet to come to an official decision.

With quality WA-based talent later in the first round like Bo Allan, the Eagles could be prepared to hand the Tigers a second top-three selection, secure Baker and then still take an early pick.

The Eagles will also secure pick 12 from Hawthorn as part of the Tom Barrass trade, but will also want another selection in this year or next year’s draft.

Hawthorn has made clear to the Eagles it will not play hardball, but West Coast will want more than pick 12 for the contracted premiership defender.

Despite some industry speculation, the Eagles are not particularly interested in uncontracted Hawks’ former top-10 pick Denver Grainger Barras, so at this stage he will not be part of that deal.

As Gold Coast’s Wayne Campbell said this week, the Suns would be fair in their dealings with Rioli, but Dunne has drawn his own line in the sand.

He told the Talking Tigers podcast that because the pair are contracted – although Baker is out of contract – the Tigers could play hard ball.

“Clearly those guys have made their decisions and that is what they want to look at and there are a whole range of reasons for that and we are supportive of that, however they are contracted players and it will take an extraordinary deal to make those moves,” Dunne said.

“We get to work with (the) clubs in WA – and Gold Coast – to make those deals happen. There is still a long time to go, there will be a lot of talk, but we are in control of that.”

Jon Ralph

@RalphyHeraldSun
·
14s

Liam Baker still deciding his club of choice. But if he chose the Eagles they might be open to handing over pick 3 then shuffling back to another very early pick as part of the trade. Get the best of both worlds with experience and youth. Trade wrap http://bit.ly/3AKuX6j

Ralphy running with the old "trade back in the draft to secure the WA boy" line again...

The club also doesn't seem to be interested in involving DGB in any trade for Barrass
So, basically just more Ralph fan-fiction, because nothing in the actual article states WCE have actually put #3 on the table, other than the headline.

For those that want to revel in the Tigers nuff:

West Coast would be open to trading its No. 3 pick to Richmond if it secures Liam Baker with all options open as both WA clubs await an official decision on the Tigers vice-captain.

The depth of the draft means the Eagles might be prepared to accept a pick back later in the top 10 if they secure their man.

Richmond's new chief executive Shane Dunne this week warned rivals it will take something "extraordinary" to drag contracted players Shai Bolton and Daniel Rioli out of Punt Rd.

Baker is uncontracted, and while he is leaning towards the Eagles, his management has told the Dockers and West Coast he is yet to come to an official decision.

With quality WA-based talent later in the first round like Bo Allan, the Eagles could be prepared to hand the Tigers a second top-three selection, secure Baker and then still take an early pick.

The Eagles will also secure pick 12 from Hawthorn as part of the Tom Barrass trade, but will also want another selection in this year or next year's draft.

Hawthorn has made clear to the Eagles it will not play hardball, but West Coast will want more than pick 12 for the contracted premiership defender.

Despite some industry speculation, the Eagles are not particularly interested in uncontracted Hawks' former top-10 pick Denver Grainger Barras, so at this stage he will not be part of that deal.

As Gold Coast's Wayne Campbell said this week, the Suns would be fair in their dealings with Rioli, but Dunne has drawn his own line in the sand.

He told the Talking Tigers podcast that because the pair are contracted - although Baker is out of contract - the Tigers could play hard ball.

"Clearly those guys have made their decisions and that is what they want to look at and there are a whole range of reasons for that and we are supportive of that, however they are contracted players and it will take an extraordinary deal to make those moves," Dunne said.

"We get to work with (the) clubs in WA - and Gold Coast - to make those deals happen. There is still a long time to go, there will be a lot of talk, but we are in control of that."
Could. Might. WA talent. Could. Maybe.

It’s basically just an article for people who don’t have access to Lore’s picks spreadsheet above.

Jon Ralph
@RalphyHeraldSun
·
14s

Liam Baker still deciding his club of choice. But if he chose the Eagles they might be open to handing over pick 3 then shuffling back to another very early pick as part of the trade. Get the best of both worlds with experience and youth. Trade wrap http://bit.ly/3AKuX6j

I'm sure they'd be open to trade pick 3 if it's Baker and pick 6 for 3 then I probably wouldn't mind it since you can pretty much throw a blanket over the first handful of picks.

Grabbing the former Richmond list manager sounds pretty terrible in hindsight now

For me, it would have to look something like 3 and 23 for 6, baker and another later first rounder. For example if Freo gave 9 and 17 for Bolton, 6 and 17 plus Baker.

Maybe we send a F3 there way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Baker and 6 for 3 could work, but we need something else coming back our way too. Richmond are set to be armed with a plethora of picks so if they can throw in an additional second rounder for example, then I'd consider it. But it all depends who we're targeting and if we expect them to be available at 6, and how determined Richmond are to team up Jagga and FOS (although Langford and Reid also appear to be in the conversation).

Otherwise our best offer for Baker is our F2. Take it or leave it.

If we want a player who we think is going to be there at 6, you wouldn’t do the trade now anyway.

Sliding back from 3 to 6 is usually worth say a mid to late 20s pick? So just take 23 for Baker thanks, works out fairly.

Then on the night you can slide back with someone and pick up another 20s.

Eg: 3/12/23/59

Becomes: 6/12/Baker (23)/29/59

Or a trade with the Saints: 7/12/(Baker)/24/59

Very simple on paper for sure, but seems like the timing is in our favour if we do it later rather than splitting ahead of time? Grab an extra kid out of it, really.

Just take pick 3, don’t overthink it.

That’s the only trade I could stomach, but even then I expect it’d be 3 and 23 for 6 and Baker which is disgusting

I'll seriously consider abandoning West Coast and help Harley pack his bags if this's the case

Read the article, nothing in there says we've actually offered it up, just that we could involve it in a trade.

Just more rubbish from Ralph.

With the state of the top 10 there is a chance that this is basically a meaningless downgrade and we get the same player either way so if we could be confident of that then sure, why not?

That said the only reason it would even be worth doing for Richmond is if they want to jump ahead because they really want a specific player that they think will go with one of those picks.

If those two factors align then this is probably a reasonable option. The biggest issue is that the trade would need to be done so far before the draft that club preferences could easily change.

No! Might be available at pick 6 is not good enough.

We need certainity.

Can the norf informer jon Ralph stfu. Why is this dickhead so stupid when it comes to what our club will do.

Draper isn't going to be there at pick 6 100%. End of discussions. Whether he is avaialble at pick 3 is another topic

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back