List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, we would like Baker for free.

First round price is ridiculous.

We need Gold Coast to hold firm and not trade 6 for Rioli. It really should get ahead of the Lombard bid, so why give it up?

I can’t see us going from 3 to 9, but 3 to 6 concerns me.

I’m no draft watcher, but it seems there is a top 6-8 mids, but really 3/4/5 that have less obvious potential red flags (dominant against kids not against men, pace, injury etc). So whilst the ratings are even, some of the risk in that range is higher.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

okay im leaning to keeping 3 and then pass on draper, just so we can witness the melt of all melts from random260

damn right walter white GIF by Breaking Bad

Melting Heat Wave GIF by Pudgy Penguins

Guys, just been over to the Tigers board.

I think we probably need to give all our picks for Baker. He is their vice captain and brings so much on the field and off the field. Including what we got for the 28 year old, 29 next month, so 30 next year Barrass who was only made to look good by McGovern, and who is in no way as good as an uncontracted Baker.

How?

Jagga, FOS, Draper, Reid, Langford, Smillie, Lalor will all be gone by then.

We need A grade midfield talent, giving up rare top 3 picks to bring in B grade players like Liam Baker makes no sense.

If we think that's how the draft plays out (and clubs have a very, very good idea on who other clubs are taking generally), I don't think we do the trade. I think its pretty unlikely that every single midfield option is gone by our pick though.

Tigers need players everywhere, so I think its pretty unlikely they take a mid with pick 6. Dees need forwards and key backs. But I guess so do Roos, not sure what their plan will be. Dons are meh everywhere, so could go with a mid. To be honest they could go with anything though.

All it takes is for one of the players you mentioned to be available at our pick and we probably win. Although the Battle compo may be annoying.

Be nice if there were some key forwards towards the top end though.

I think we probably need to give all our picks for Baker. He is their vice captain and brings so much on the field and off the field. Including what we got for the 28 year old, 29 next month, so 30 next year Barrass who was only made to look good by McGovern, and who is in no way as good as an uncontracted Baker.
I imagine their board at the moment is basically a kids birthday party where everyone is well dosed up on lollies and red cordial

Victorians have no shame or insight about being totally biased, completely blind d**ks.

If we want a player who we think is going to be there at 6, you wouldn’t do the trade now anyway.

Sliding back from 3 to 6 is usually worth say a mid to late 20s pick? So just take 23 for Baker thanks, works out fairly.

Then on the night you can slide back with someone and pick up another 20s.

Eg: 3/12/23/59

Becomes: 6/12/Baker (23)/29/59

Or a trade with the Saints: 7/12/(Baker)/24/59

Very simple on paper for sure, but seems like the timing is in our favour if we do it later rather than splitting ahead of time? Grab an extra kid out of it, really.

Just take pick 3, don’t overthink it.
I want Langford and doesn’t sound like he’ll be there at 6 now so no for me too

Lol at Ralph saying "Pick 6 could be as good as pick 3"

Why do Richmond want pick 3 then, Jon?

While we're on Jon Ralph shit takes - Baker is an uncontracted utility while Barrass is a contracted KPD. Why on earth is Baker worth more in a trade than Barrass in Ralph's hypotheticals?
Remember, it's highly unlikely John Ralph knows who Barrass is, where Western Australia is or what day it is.

Remember, it's highly unlikely John Ralph knows who Barrass is, where Western Australia is or what day it is.
That sounds a lot like Mark Robinson

“You could give up the 12 you get for Barrass or …”

Anyone know what username Ralphy posts under over on the Tigers board?

I would be prepared more open for it once we know what later R1 picks Richmond get from Freo or Suns.

Examples

3 and 23 for Baker and 6 and 18

Or

Hawks 12 for Baker and 18

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That sounds a lot like Mark Robinson
I didn't think it was possible but Ralph is even worse.

What make it even more annoying is that Ralph has a VERY punchable face.

I'm generally a chilled middle aged Dad these days but I'd love to bust his nose. Give him an Owen Wilson

I would be prepared more open for it once we know what later R1 picks Richmond get from Freo or Suns.

Examples

3 and 23 for Baker and 6 and 18

Or

Hawks 12 for Baker and 18

Like the 1st option.

With the Hawks deal as well we hit the draft with 6, 12ish and 18. Plus another live pick late 2nd and a later pick to match the bid on Champion.

I'm generally a chilled middle aged Dad these days but I'd love to bust his nose. Give him an Owen Wilson
It's par for the course for Victorian journalists. There wasn't this much hype around North Melbourne holding half the picks in the first round last year compared to Richmond holding one first round pick this year.

A few years ago I laughed at the garbage peddled in the media and social media this time of the year. Pure fiction. As a subtle test I posted ion the main board re inside knowledge that Gaff was going to Melbourne for their first pick plus (when it was a very worthy pick).
I only gained 20 pages of discussion. I then came clean but people, including some on here, wouldn't accept the truth and kept the discussion open.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back