List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In:
12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Jai Culley, Alex Witherden and Coby Burgiel delisted

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s been mentioned sporadically in this thread but I do wonder if it’s worth revisiting Isiah Winder. Had a really good season for Souths and maybe his delisting last year was the reality check he needed

As far as I know he’s retained a connection with the club - think he’s living with 1 or 2 of our blokes and he was at our indigenous round game with other past players

Don’t think he’d be our worst option

It’s been mentioned sporadically in this thread but I do wonder if it’s worth revisiting Isiah Winder. Had a really good season for Souths and maybe his delisting last year was the reality check he needed

As far as I know he’s retained a connection with the club - think he’s living with 1 or 2 of our blokes and he was at our indigenous round game with other past players

Almost want to pick him up to save the embarrassment if he comes on.

Ok gaiz, as requested, here is my list of Top 5 Favourite Richmond Moments.

1. Jack Riewoldt kicking 10 vs West Coast.
  2. D.Rioli kicking GOTY vs West Coast
  3. When Vickory KO'd Cox right in the melon on a cold rainy night at Subi.
  4. When Benny C returned to Subi and torched his old club West Coast
  5. Matt Clarke's 2024 trade period.

Plz tell me what your favourite moments were, and anything else I've missed in the comments section below.

Plz tell me what your favourite moments were, and anything else I've missed in the comments section below.
Liam Bakers drunken B&F speech gotta be top 5?

Massively talented, just don't think his head was right when he was with us and sounds like he's pretty focused now.

Can see the cats taking him and him being absolutely amazing for them.

You talk a big game sometimes but this is absolutely spot on.

Matthew Clarke is not fit to be a list manager, at absolute best he is incompetent. In reality he is negligent and even that paints him in a more positive light than he should be after being unable to seperate emotion from judgement.

The plan should have been really simple. Protect or enhance our draft hand, address the midfield (in particular kicking and outside run) and restock KPDs. Looking into the dumpster fire of his shit decisions that will set our rebuild back:

Trade 1: Darling for pick 67

First offer accepted by Clarke. Not even a counteroffer representing the club’s interests instead of Norf’s. Even asking for pick 62 which would have given us consecutive picks in the 40s after bids on Ashcroft, Lombard, Kako, Marshall et. al. Would have at least demonstrated an attempt to negotiate, but as Phil suggests he can’t even do that.

Trade 2: Jack Graham via FA ( band 4 compo)

Knowing full well we he had a hard on for Liam Baker, he could have used the gaping chasm of salary cap space we had available to at least get the Tigers band 3 compo and have them hand back pick 24 and Baker for pick 14, even though it is still overs.

Trade 3: a) 3, 63, 68 for 12, 14, 73, Owies
b) 14 for Baker

Shambolic. Diabolical. Unforgivable. The worst trade in Eagles history. What kind of an idiot blurts out what he’s prepared to pay to a seller on day 1 of a negotiation? Now we miss out on a top 3 mid that we desperately need alongside Harley, let alone one who clearly wanted to play for West Coast. Jagga and Draper would have been a fantastic fit for us too. If he insisted on selling it, we would have gotten far more for it by trading down on draft night instead of paying for a soon 27yo role player.

Then the reports of later pick swaps in the trade came through and for a brief second most thought perhaps we’d negotiated a few 2R/3R picks to get some more talent through the door in a deep draft. But no, to add salt to the wound Clarke had decided to throw in our later picks that at least one would have come into the 40s to help Carlton match bids.

Trade 4: Barrass and F4 for Hawks F1, F2, F3

Somewhat ok but wasn’t surprised at all to read Phil saying things only progressed once Clarke left the negotiations near the deadline. That’s because he’s a f**kwit. No doubt TB’s preference was Hawthorn but why didn’t we create a market like Richmond did for Baker and Bolton? We can get you to Victoria Tom, hopefully to your preference but we value you as 2 x F1s and if we’re offered that then we’ll accept it and get you to Melbourne.

We finished 3rd last in the deepest draft in recent history and we are taking picks 12 and 26 in. For all the cage rattling we’ve traded in two players who will be 27 and one who will be 28 by the time they play a game for us. Some Rebuild.

We also missed out on low cost targets in a better age bracket in Garcia, Peatling and Robertson as well as Buss earlier in the year. Sure, some may have never been leaving but with the carrot of a game every week and a good wage, we would have got at least one of them done in years gone by.

I am deeply concerned for our medium term future if Clarke remains as list manager. Thank f**k he wasn’t in charge last year, he would have traded Harley for Melbourne’s F3. He can f**k off back to Richmond for the next two trade periods as well as he was also working for them in this one.

Happy for the club to pay him out if it means he never sets foot anywhere near our club again.

I see you have conviently left out the fact that Richmond & Eagles DID try and use the FA compensation to get better compensation for Graham but the AFL wouldn’t change the band. It would have been 26 for baker + the compo. That’s not really on Clarke if the AFL vetoed it. It also shows the we actually had plan A.

Was reported Richmond were close to taking him in the MSD. You’d think he would be a nice get for them in the Riokie draft.

I’d definitely give him another go, see how deep we cut in the next couple of days

We wouldnt have the courage for it. Highly suspect he joins Fremantle in all honesty. Matches a need big time

It puts us back a year but we're also really only looking at a genuine KPD to replace McGovern now. We should wind up with a solid player at 12, we should get Warner or a kid with pick 2-3 next year, Hewett will be like a new draftee, and everyone else will be a year older with 20 games more experience.

It does put pressure on the draft team to draft wisely though.
I don’t know that it puts us back a year. We didn’t have hardly any draft picks before the Baker trade anyway.
Pick 12 might be as good or nearly as good as pick 3 although pick 3 should be close to a certainty. Oh well, spilt milk.

It’s very hard for a club to implode and then rebuild in this era. You get a high pick for finishing low and then your second pick gets pushed out to near pick 30. Without receiving compensation picks like NM or inflated picks for free agents or selling players at their peak like Richmond have managed for do this year it is almost impossible.

We can’t even sell quality players like Barrass for high value. I don’t know how Richmond did it, trade with GC for one thing.
We did get three extra picks for next year for Barrass which is pretty useful.

It’s a long hard road to climb back. Every opportunity to get better needs to be explored. This includes late picks and the rookie list.

Some luck with f/s, NGA’s, and over compensation for free agents would help.

I see you have conviently left out the fact that Richmond & Eagles DID try and use the FA compensation to get better compensation for Graham but the AFL wouldn’t change the band. It would have been 26 for baker + the compo. That’s not really on Clarke if the AFL vetoed it. It also shows the we actually had plan A.
So you’re saying Clarke f**ked up the plan?

I’m shocked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't want Winder cut to begin with so I'd love to give him another shot. Perfect timing too with new coaches.

I can't see the club walking back on it. Would laugh/ cry if he wound up at Geelong.

Too late to redeem anything nowthat have fckd our draft hand. Trade out of this year's draft and start again next year.

Trade pick 12 to the Suns for 2 x F1st round picks, then a proper rebuild can start.

Yes it is another wasted year, but it gives us 12 months of regret to the clean out our recruiting department and capital to restart
Yeah, that's not going to happen.

We were pretty cooked this draft regardless. We originally had what 3, 20something, and then junk. Our Pick 3 wasn't going to be the second coming, and everybody has been shouting that we need as much young talent as possible.

How do you achieve that with only 2 half decent original picks?
Barrass was an option but he nominated Hawks who didn't have a whole lot of value this year unfortunately. It also sounds like no one else was interested in diluting their picks this year either. Credit we now have Hawks entire draft for next year.
Then it always comes back to splitting pick 3. But to who? And don't suggest convoluted multi club mega trades, they don't happen. How would we easily split 3 for something that would satisfy most?

Weather we like it or not Baker was always going to cost us a 1st rounder, which it did, but we did manage to salvage a later 1st rounder out of it.

If the club had put their hand out for a PP, it would have gone a long way. But you can only trade what you have and to those willing to trade with you.

I'm still happy to score the trade period a L for WCE, but I don't think it's the worst trade period ever like some are saying.
We still have a 1st rounder (in as everyone says is an even year), we added 3 mature bodies, offloaded some dead wood and strengthened our hand massively next year.

Probably my favourite Richmond moment was when your Mrs took a photo of you leaving a game vs them at Optus early and we saw your chicken legs. 😘

I can't see the club walking back on it. Would laugh/ cry if he wound up at Geelong.

Bit of a lose lose for us really. We look like idiots for cutting him if he comes on and we look like idiots for getting sucked in and giving him a second chance if he spuds it up second time round.

Haven't seen him at WAFL but he started to look good for the Beagles playing further up the ground instead of being played as a fwd.

I just counted 14, 22 and under, and didn’t include those turning 23 in the next couple of months.

Don’t know if Richmond are delisting any.

Don’t know if you’re delisting any of your kids. Been a bit of discussion here about Culley being one.
As it now stands, we 18 players who will be under 23 come end Dec 2025. We are expecting another 5 taken in the draft meaning the number gets to 23 (assuming Culley and Burgiel get another year)

1729224107659.png

Keen

Oh so in the same place until November 21st, then they’re clearly ahead?

I don’t think just the raw quantity of youth in a side is the predominant key factor in how a particular rebuild is tracking when it comes to comparing clubs.

Development, retention, balance, culture are all important. The expansion clubs had a plethora of youth that came in a flurry, but premiership aspirations can be undone in a multitude of ways by the other factors mentioned
I agree.

I’m not across Richmond’s youth to know if any have serious injuries that might impact their ability to play at the highest level.

I know you guys have two or three, and two of them were recent first round picks, in Hewett & Chesser, and I don’t know what’s going on with Long.

When I say both teams are in the same place, I mean the rebuilding phase.

So far you’ve drafted 2 top 10 draftees in the last 3 years, and 4 over all first round picks, with another to come this year.

In the same period, Richmond have drafted 2 first round draftees, 1 in the top 10.

They’re about to draft 2 more top 10 kids, and have a total of 7 first round draft picks this year.

Shueygod might be focused on how many 22 and under kids are on your list, but in terms of how many both teams are getting games in to, both teams are remarkably similar.

As it now stands, we 18 players who will be under 23 come end Dec 2025. We are expecting another 5 taken in the draft meaning the number gets to 23 (assuming Culley and Burgiel get another year)

View attachment 2146726
Do you have the list spots for 5? Last I saw, Keys or WCE_phil was saying you currently have 3 list spots for the draft, picks 12, 26 and 73, and 73 is currently earmarked for your academy kid.

I’m not across Richmond’s youth to know if any have serious injuries that might impact their ability to play at the highest level.

I'm sensing an opportunity for you. And a win for us.

Plan B should have been just pick 26 on its own or hello PSD. Now we miss out on a top 3 pick in a stacked draft .

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back