List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In:
12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Jai Culley, Alex Witherden and Coby Burgiel delisted

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotham has more speed than Witho and Culley, and has more height and availability than Burgeil. With McQualter trying to implement a run-and-gun style I would say that could be a factor.
Was thinking this. Bloke gets one last role of the dice with a new coach who could unlock something.

In the end it's probably the right choice, but Burgiel will always be one of the big "what ifs" for me.

He played 3 WAFL games off half-back in his first season and had 20 odd disposals in all three of those games. As an 18 year old playing against men for the first time, he was clean, composed and showed glimpses of his pace. He looked to me like a genuine star and if not for his constant hamstring injuries, I have no doubt he would've debuted that year.

Got a little bit more continuity in his body this year and managed the 12 WAFL games, but I reckon his hammies were playing on his mind. Looked like he was playing within himself - certainly didn't get near what he showed off limited game time the year before.

Sure, there are questions about his competitiveness and intensity, but I still think there's a good footballer somewhere in him. Has talent in spades, it's a real shame how his time at the club has turned out. Hope he finds some continuity in his body and eventually gets back onto a list.

I’d have kept Culley simply for his WAFL midfield output. A real shame the knee happened when it did, because he looked to be unlocking something despite his lack of speed even pre injury.

If Edwards is a medical retirement over a delisting, is there some sort of benefit to us or him? A payout, an exemption on the list etc? That might be the thinking.

Feel bad for Witherden, especially as he clearly worked hard on rounding his game, but probably a necessary call.

Burgiel very disappointing. I want to say that he could have been quality with some more time and investment, but I think he just intrinsically lacks the intensity/physicality required.

Very happy with the Culley decision.

Was thinking this. Bloke gets one last role of the dice with a new coach who could unlock something.

The only thing he will be unlocking is his car as he drives away for the last time before final list lodgement. Unfortunately with Rotham the issue isn’t drive or determination, he just isn’t very good at football

The fact Burgiel has been asked to hang around as a train-on player suggests that there's at least some chance that he's still at the club next year, but we're looking to see if there's anyone available who's hamstrings might hold together.

Surprised Culley wasn't given another season as coming back from an ACL is often hard in the first year.

Won't be surprised to see Luke Edwards has to medically retire, but there's likely some long term financial benefit for him if he's not delisted. If that's the case, then you absolutely do the best by him for his future (suspect the length of time Venables stayed on the list was a lot related to that as well).

Rotham's future might be dependent on whether we can get an in-principle agreement from alternate delisted KPDs out there. He's not renewed, but not delisted yet either.

I actually wonder if, at this time of year, there's a bunch of players on the edge at their clubs (like Rotham), who're told, "Sure go looking, if some other club is interested you'd rather go to, then we'll delist you so you can walk there, but if not, we'll offer you another year and see how it goes."

Frustrating about Burgiel, for us to delist him. He must be shot.

Hopefully gets his body right and work his way back onto the list through train on spot, wonder if that's also a kick up the bum for him? Hasn't done proper rehab etc.

So by mine we have 37 contracted players and Rotham and Edwards still no official status. So call it 39, so 5 spots currently open.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is pretty much the only reason why I didn't lose my mind about Richmond getting all these picks. There's been a number of years where both GWS and Gold Coast, especially Gold Coast have done next to nothing for capitalising on that

You can't paint by numbers when it comes to building a list. Our run up to 2018 showed how you really only need a body of half your best 22 via the draft and you can do that over a 10-12 year period.

When you're drafting year to year and reevaluating your lists needs consistently you going to get better outcomes on the types of players you need and be able to optimise around that. Drafting in one year is limiting in type and quality with no way to measure one cohort against the next.

Frustrating about Burgiel, for us to delist him. He must be shot.

Hopefully gets his body right and work his way back onto the list through train on spot, wonder it that's also a kick up the bum for him? Hasn't done proper rehab etc.

So by mine we have 37 contracted players and Rotham and Edwards still no official status. So call it 39, so 5 spots currently open.
I sense a mix of frustration with constant hamstring issues and hearing he has not put the effort it. Hopefully it sparks him into action as he looked like a great pick at the time

Strange to delist Witherden before Rotham or Culley/Burgiel before Edwards. Is there a chance they stay on because we don't have many draft picks or do add more via the rookie draft, like DGB.
Witherden and Culley are very slow. Edwards may yet retire but he is quicker than those 2, as is Rotham.

Presuming that may be the rationale with the new gameplan.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back