List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In:
12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Jai Culley, Alex Witherden and Coby Burgiel delisted

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
Until this year Hawthorn hadn't won a final since 2015, so you'd hope they were ahead of us.
They tried to fight for premierships and kept missing finals from say 2016-2020 still. They traded for Wingard amongst others. Hit the draft pick highest pick of 40 odd in 2 of those 4 drafts. They were certainly not attempting a rebuild

In 2016 they had picks 74 and 76, in 2017 they took 46,67,71 and 2018 they took 52 and 63. That was not the moves of a team that was rebuilding.

It wasnt til 2021 they truly started hitting the draft. I think they began the rebuild then as did us when we took 6 picks in that 2021 draft

If Witherden is as clued in as they make out then might be worth looking into coaching if he can't make it as a player.

Split his time between WAFL and AFLW development/stoppages or something. He speaks quite well in the interviews I've heard. If he can communicate game plan and strategy effectively I don't mind the idea at all.

Right now, would be be happier if we traded our F1 last year and drafted Curtin, or happier with the result of trading pick 3 for 12 and 14?

I feel we missed a trick in not trading 3 for 4 and change from Adeliade to ensure they get Draper, and then traded 4 to Carlton for 12 and 14. Even if we swapped 3 for 4 and a 3rd round pick, its an extra pick we eventualyl would of had.

Im not sure why people think Richmond is re inventing the wheel here. They are doing what Hawthorn did with the exception of getting better draft picks for the good players they let go because they were younger (when they let Mtichell O'Meara, Gunston go)

All of the things said about Richmond today were said about Hawthorn 3 years ago and they well and truly lapped us in the rebuild process.

I mean we have won 7 games out of 70. We probably not a good example of the HOW a rebuild should be done. Its probably why other clubs are avoiding doing what we are doing

Hawks are in no way built on high draft picks

They just delisted one of their highest picks today

Right now, would be be happier if we traded our F1 last year and drafted Curtin, or happier with the result of trading pick 3 for 12 and 14?

I feel we missed a trick in not trading 3 for 4 and change from Adeliade to ensure they get Draper, and then traded 4 to Carlton for 12 and 14. Even if we swapped 3 for 4 and a 3rd round pick, its an extra pick we eventualyl would have had.
Been mentioned on here a few times that Adelaide weren’t interested in that. Either because they have no interest in him or another reason I’m not entirely sure. But I don’t think we can pretend that was an option

I am starting to hone in on the 2025 prospects to get an understanding on really rough rankings and what clubs might be looking to do with future picks

View attachment 2146664

View attachment 2146675
I am a visual person so fully colour in where a player is tied to a club and the name coloured just indicates where they are from (I should probably put the Sandy Dragons in a real mummy's colour of candy pink).

This is not about arguing the exact rankings as this is far from right but indicative I have taken from HUN and BF and alike. I have not had time for the rough ordering yet and will cover better closer to the draft.

Looking at the top end, there are loads of Norther Academy prospects (Suns x 3, Swans x 2 GWA x 1). It will b every important to see what the matching rules will be once the AFL releases more information.

Early days but I see the Suns have already got their 3 x F1 picks in place to get their potential 3 x top 10 prospects.

The Swans have 2 mid to late R1 prospects which is why they may be prepared to take a couple of F2 picks for one of their later R1 this year.

And here is my 2025 Future picks situation (obviously this will be being worked now and on draft night
View attachment 2146685
Swalding from west Perth will be a F1 pick next year

**** me, this aged well

Only 1 of the 3 I pegged for delisting are gone.

And the 2 I wanted retained both gone

As others have said we might be waiting on a medical decision before delisting Edwards, although the club have always seemed to rate him higher than us fans so maybe they will keep him

Rotham maybe kept pending whether we sign anyone as a DFA. We are also a bit light for taller defenders- not that he’s a genuine KPD, more a 3rd tall

Culley stiff but unfortunately his lack of pace has been terminal for him - can understand why he’s gone even though I’d have preferred he was given another year

I called 5 out of 5 Keys, so this is a great result.

Nope but were built on having a younger 22 with many under 25year Olds in the best 22. Last year they regularly had 13 players under 25 in best 22. We had 6.

We have a heap of players that age on our list already. Unfortunately a few were injured, and the rest just treading water in the cesspool that is our WAFL team

Maybe if we get some new leaders around the place, a fresh look and an improvement in standards, some of the young players on our list languiishing in the Beagles can actually progress enough to get into the 22 and show what they have

I feel we missed a trick in not trading 3 for 4 and change from Adeliade to ensure they get Draper, and then traded 4 to Carlton for 12 and 14. Even if we swapped 3 for 4 and a 3rd round pick, its an extra pick we eventualyl would of had.

Blues will probably make that trade on draft night

Ciao Eagle Fans, in my opinion in that trade deadline that was a huge win definitely a B+. With Liam Baker on your side you can use him even as a midfielder alongside with Kelly and H. Reid as when Baker has played in the middle he has been very good.

Full 3 Qts Baker Midfield Against Adelaide Crows
23 disposals 1 goal and 7 Marks

Baker when moved up to HF against Crows Last Qt (4th)
1 disposal 1 mark.
Shows how impactful he is when put in the right position. Speaking about Matt Owies can be a really dangerous HF and snag some goals and hopefully get over 10-12 touches with 2 goals.

Best of luck Eagles fans and hope you can snag someone in the draft👍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As I’ve said before;
Forward line of OA,Waterman,JW and Archer in the wings looks right up there with the best of them.
Owies will find lots of cover. Brockman more settled, Cripps good cover as he fades away,Long will take a while to reintegrate,Ryan’s got a few years yet.
Defence has Guv for a year or two.Guys; he’s AA so barring injuries he’s not going away soon.Duggan is solid,Ginbey will AA at h/b in the not too distant future,Yo to h/b for a career extension.HEd needs 50 games straight before we call it.One of his earlier coaches said he is super competitive and loathes losing.6’7” and a solid mark.
Plenty of ruckmen/forwards.
Mids led by Harley. I don’t care who says it was only a half of footy but Hutch against Geelong looked awesome.Any football fan worth his salt would have salivated over that.Look where he came from and what he achieved in such a short time. For me he’s a lock for mid No2.
Hewett is the conundrum.Has anyone heard what’s the latest with him?Our new style sounds like it’s right up his alley.I’ll back the club to get him right.
Maric? Can play anywhere .
Need a ruck if Flynn stalls and a small fast defender and a taller good kicking defender.X tra mids and we are not far away. A lot obviously needs to go right but I will be very surprised if we don’t play finals in2026.
If all the cards fell right ( Flynn I’m looking at you) we could sneak in next year!
P.S. Bristool you are!
Finals huh? Gotta love the positivity!

For the love of god please don’t let this incompetent fool anywhere near the decision making as to what to do with our future picks.

just think, if he doesn't flip one of our firsts for some magic beans this year, next year he'll have 4 first rounders in his control. i fear we haven't seen anything yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back