List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
If we want to trade for quality players you have to give quality in return.
The only players that might be tradeable are Allen, Ryan and Waterman.
Freo have accumulated a lot of first rounders in this draft.
If they land Bolton,Baker Warner & Pickett they will have built themselves a formidable team.
If we don't strengthen our hand at the next 2 drafts we wont be able to fast track our rebuild.
The Dockers supporters will be unbearable for many years.
Cop that !!!
I guess you get what you pay for in the long run

28, -, 53, 20.

Higher average in the last two seasons than Pickett’s best ever, has also missed a hell of a lot of time. Why the comparison?
Are you talking about goals per season or per games played. They've both scored 73 goals in the last 2 yrs Pickett scored 81 in the first 2 yrs and Oscar 28. Oscar is a lot more injury prone.

A minor tragedy occurred in this game. Through one and a bit quarters of football we'd been treated to one of the best head to head battles of the year between Lindsay and Langford, directly matched up on each other in the middle and each at the absolute top of their game. Unfortunately we lost Xavier to a suspected PCL injury, cutting short the spectacle and probably cutting short his season given how few weeks we have remaining.

In his one quarter and 4 mins of play Lindsay racked up 11 disposals and 5 clearances showing just how hot a start he'd made.

Fox Footy pushing for 6 AND 20 for Dan Rioli, and think Freo will give up Pick 10 for Liam Baker. Bloody hell.

****ing Jon Ralph!

I expect Richmond to be able to get 13, 20 and 26 for Rioli. Way overpriced but will come with pick swaps. It makes no sense for Gold Coast to give up pick 6.

Even Fremantle aren't mad enough to give up pick 10 for Baker. They could get him as part of 9 + 17 with something minor going back to Richmond instead of something minor coming back to Freo without Baker.

That leaves Richmond with maybe 1, 9, 17, 20, 21, 22, 26 and 29 without any other trades. They'll likely pick up Brisbane's pick 14 as well. Still a damn good hand to have!

Everyone talking up Richmond's potential draft hand as if what they are doing is best for their club. But they are losing some serious personnel for these picks. Best 22 senior players.

If we lost our best players in Yeo Reid Gov and Barrass for decent picks how would we fare in 2025?

I'd imagine there would be many 100 point losses and an even worse loser mentallity would inflict the club.

I haven't heard any media personalities mention this at all. It's all just 'Hell yeah Richmond will have another dynasty again with these picks.' Do they not relaise that draft picks aren't even known quantities, they could draft complte busts ffs!

****ing hell are we the only ones which don't think Baker is worth pick 12?? World's gone ****ing mad.

The bloke can't even average 20 touches a game. And is an absolute turnover merchant.
He's basically a slightly souped up version of Patrick McGinnity.

Will certainly not shed a tear if we don't get him, will be upset if we give up a first rounder for him. Even a late first rounder.

Has anyone been a regular watcher of our WAFL team, keen to know how you think Rawlinson and Livingstone have gone through the year?

I had them as both delists, as none of their wafl stats are that impressive and didn't think they were draft worthy last year. So I'm a tad surprised to see them both get another year.

Pick 3 for us isn't tradeable, so for comparison purposes that leaves the dockers with 9,10,17,27 which is a stronger hand than our 12,23,30
That's 3 in the top 20 against against our 1 at this time. We have to trade to strengthen our hand for an early rebuild or we will need to win the next 5 wooden spoons if we rely on getting high first round draft picks.
Haha, creative accounting by you.

3 might be tradable if it’s the right trade. But as we stand you are correct but that why we are going down the route of trading TB

OK. When did I miss Cripps retiring? :oops:
Rumour is Jamie Cripps has retired and will play at Northampton with his mates.
If true it opens another spot or saves someone from being delisted.

Might hold of writing his retirement post until we have further confirmation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has anyone been a regular watcher of our WAFL team, keen to know how you think Rawlinson and Livingstone have gone through the year?

I had them as both delists, as none of their wafl stats are that impressive and didn't think they were draft worthy last year. So I'm a tad surprised to see them both get another year.
this is what a lot of people thought about dewar. Thye showed flashes and potential. Keep them.

A minor tragedy occurred in this game. Through one and a bit quarters of football we'd been treated to one of the best head to head battles of the year between Lindsay and Langford, directly matched up on each other in the middle and each at the absolute top of their game. Unfortunately we lost Xavier to a suspected PCL injury, cutting short the spectacle and probably cutting short his season given how few weeks we have remaining.

In his one quarter and 4 mins of play Lindsay racked up 11 disposals and 5 clearances showing just how hot a start he'd made.

Give me this kid at the hawks pick. Signed sealed delivered.

Blistering start. Hopefully a lock for us with Barrass pick if Travaglia is gone. PCL injury whilst unfortunate may mean he slides just enough to be there, hooe he recovers quickly but will miss the combine.

Fox Footy pushing for 6 AND 20 for Dan Rioli, and think Freo will give up Pick 10 for Liam Baker. Bloody hell.

I tell you what, if all we manage to do with the Barrass trade is flip him for an average, slightly too old Richmond midfielder there's going to be some epic melts on here.

Blistering start. Hopefully a lock for us with Barrass pick if Travaglia is gone. PCL injury whilst unfortunate may mean he slides just enough to be there, hooe he recovers quickly but will miss the combine.
Probably misses the combine I'd say. Even if he's mostly recovered you don't want to risk a poor showing given lack of prep time for it. There's nothing really for him to prove at the combine anyway, if he skips it he's a certainty to get picked in that 7-13 kind of range and he's not going to push up into the top group no matter what his combine results show.

Vlahos reporting Picketts manager contact both us and Freo but the stumbling block is he is on $900k a year and Dees not prepared to pay any of it if he was traded.

I have a feeling Kosi will be playing for us next year. Not sure how I feel about it
Same, I really want Malakai Champion on the list, and I feel like he would fill that super quick pressure forward role, a real priority has to be midfielders and a ruck.
If we could somehow fill the ruck, midfield positions, then I’d feel ok about taking Pickett. He’s definitely in the age bracket that we need.

Look, what you say for each individual trade has a veneer of plausibility, but there's just no world in which this, or even half of this, ever happens. The AFL just doesn't embrace the full chaos trades like this.

Also, while i like the idea of Warner, we sure he even wants to leave?
I’m with you on the very low likelihood. More of an exercise in exploring what avenues we could look into with the currency that we should have available to us, and which players actually suit us best.

I was pretty certain that our best look at Chad would be end of 2025 when he is out of contract. However, on the Tradies podcast Mitch Cleary did mention that he thinks there is still a bit to play out with Warner- of course McClure then went off on some tangent before Mitch could elaborate on his Warner intel.

If Sydney wins the flag maybe Warner gets their blessing to come home? Tricky thing with the Swans is that they are right in the flag window so will draft picks satisfy them? Ideally TB could’ve been part of the deal to help them immediately as opposed to some draftees that will be good in 5 years time.

Livingstone is a Cat B rookie.

To the best of my knowledge, Malakai Champion is our only draftable quality NGA player this year and he’s unlikely to go through the draft without a bid

So if we were to delist Livingstone we would have no mechanism to replace him on our list

That ignores he’s a 19 year old big bloke still finding his way as a forward/ruck in a struggling side. He’s also arguably outperformed Barnett this year

As for Rawlinson, he’s a pressure forward in a side that regularly gets sub 40 inside 50’s per game. Happy enough to give him one more year to see if he can develop further but he must have been close to getting cut

Vlahos reporting Picketts manager contact both us and Freo but the stumbling block is he is on $900k a year and Dees not prepared to pay any of it if he was traded.

I have a feeling Kosi will be playing for us next year. Not sure how I feel about it
900 is probably overs but shouldn’t be an issue for us, front-end it and it could even help us. We are practically trying to give away money to meet the cap at this point aren’t we? Freo on the other hand, 2mil tied up in ruckman alone before you even look at Brayshaw, Serong, Young etc

Surely we could do that for pick 12 on its own then?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back