List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
I tell you what, if all we manage to do with the Barrass trade is flip him for an average, slightly too old Richmond midfielder there's going to be some epic melts on here.
Same dickheads pushing pick 12 for Baker will be the same dickheads to come down hard on the club in a few years for trading in him. They will soon realise how not great he is

Has anyone been a regular watcher of our WAFL team, keen to know how you think Rawlinson and Livingstone have gone through the year?

I had them as both delists, as none of their wafl stats are that impressive and didn't think they were draft worthy last year. So I'm a tad surprised to see them both get another year.

Rawlinson showed a bit early in the year but seemed to drop off as the season continued. I'm not mad at him getting another year, certainly has more upside than some of our past rookies.

I dont think anyone expected Livingstone to get delisted. Very raw ruck prospect but has shown good signs at stages. Just needs more development.

Has anyone been a regular watcher of our WAFL team, keen to know how you think Rawlinson and Livingstone have gone through the year?

I had them as both delists, as none of their wafl stats are that impressive and didn't think they were draft worthy last year. So I'm a tad surprised to see them both get another year.
Rawlinson I haven't seen much off. Livingstone is tracking really well. Forward who is 200cm, At times thrown into the ruck. I think they will keep him.

Livingstone is a Cat B rookie.

To the best of my knowledge, Malakai Champion is our only draftable quality NGA player this year and he’s unlikely to go through the draft without a bid

So if we were to delist Livingstone we would have no mechanism to replace him on our list

That ignores he’s a 19 year old big bloke still finding his way as a forward/ruck in a struggling side. He’s also arguably outperformed Barnett this year

As for Rawlinson, he’s a pressure forward in a side that regularly gets sub 40 inside 50’s per game. Happy enough to give him one more year to see if he can develop further but he must have been close to getting cut
Good point RE Livingstone being Cat B and not many options to come into a Cat B spot. Oversight on my behalf.
Is our other cat B currently Baker? I have a feeling Dewar was lifted off it, which allowed Coen to come onto it.

Surely with Rawlinson, we hold a decision until post draft and see what falls to us in the rookie draft. List lodgment is post draft. Feels like some solid options could be there this year.

Good point RE Livingstone being Cat B and not many options to come into a Cat B spot. Oversight on my behalf.
Is our cat B currently Baker? I have a feeling Dewar was lifted off it, which allowed Coen to come onto it.

Surely with Rawlinson, we hold a decision until post draft and see what falls to us in the rookie draft. List lodgment is post draft. Feels like some solid options could be there this year.

It was Baker moved to the rookie list and Dewar retained as a Cat B because Baker showed more in 2023

Someone put a rocket up Dewar during preseason and he responded- it was noticeable to me watching training that he lifted post the Christmas break. And the results showed once the season started

Agree re Rawlinson, whilst I’m happy enough to retain him as I said, I was surprised to read he’s being signed this early. Could easily have waited until after trade period at least, if not the draft as you say

Is our other cat B currently Baker? I have a feeling Dewar was lifted off it, which allowed Coen to come onto it.

Dewar is our other Cat B, Livingstone is very much CGU a long term prospect. Natural aggression and has on occasion shown enough to persist with. It’s not like there’s any pressure on a Cat B rookie spot this year.

With Champion coming in I want to cut Rawlinson, great speed but otherwise not enough shown for another year when you look at rookie options this year, even just locally.

Ryan, picket, Kelly all have similar bad attributes which have caused the performance slumber, being poor two way running, lack grit and consistency.

on the plus side they would be awesome rotations in the midfield whenever they go unsighted.

We need to recruit running work horses with a lot of mongrel. I'm over the "flair" attributes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big weekend for FOS, wildcard round to see who can make finals. Could be his last game.

If he puts together another game like last weekend, he's right back in top 3 contention for me.

Game is in Ballarat which is a wind tunnel of a ground, and to cap things off there's been really high winds of late. So don't expect pinpoint kicking.

It was Baker moved to the rookie list and Dewar retained as a Cat B because Baker showed more in 2023

Someone put a rocket up Dewar during preseason and he responded- it was noticeable to me watching training that he lifted post the Christmas break. And the results showed once the season started

Agree re Rawlinson, whilst I’m happy enough to retain him as I said, I was surprised to read he’s being signed this early. Could easily have waited until after trade period at least, if not the draft as you say
Ok, thanks I did still have Dewar as my Cat B on my spreadsheet but thought I had captured that wrong.

Dewar is our other Cat B, Livingstone is very much CGU a long term prospect. Natural aggression and has on occasion shown enough to persist with. It’s not like there’s any pressure on a Cat B rookie spot this year.

With Champion coming in I want to cut Rawlinson, great speed but otherwise not enough shown for another year when you look at rookie options this year, even just locally.
I just thought watching Livingstone in his draft year, he looked way off it. Slow and a bit clumsy, couldn't fault his aggression.

Sort of makes sense though, Cat B was a free hit and would've gone wasted otherwise last year and same deal this year. Adds to Beagles player depth especially for a tall 200cm player and 'hey' if he turns it around and starts to show something, winner winner Livingstone dinner.

Livingstone spent the first half of the year sharing the ruck duties with Barnett and while not posting huge numbers, was arguably showing more than his partner.

Flynn dropped back to the WAFL later in the year and Livingstone became more of a forward who got a couple of stints in the ruck per game. While he did kick 3 in a game against Subiaco, for the most part he was starved of opportunity playing as a tall forward in the graveyard that is the Beagles forward line, so his end to the season wasn’t great.

I’d still persist with him for another year - he’s a little limited athletically but his competitiveness and grunt work inside has been impressive. And as Keys pointed out, as a Cat B rookie it’s not like he’ll be keeping many others off the list.

Rawlinson hasn’t set the world on fire in the WAFL but again has often been starved of opportunity playing the graveyard HHF shift for the Beagles. Shifted up to the wing at stages later in the season.

Played a few good games where he kicked multiple goals. I don’t think he has too many outstanding traits but I reckon another year on the rookie list would be appropriate to see how his development continues.

I just thought watching Livingstone in his draft year, he looked way off it. Slow and a bit clumsy, couldn't fault his aggression.

Sort of makes sense though, Cat B was a free hit and would've gone wasted otherwise last year and same deal this year. Adds to Beagles player depth especially for a tall 200cm player and 'hey' if he turns it around and starts to show something, winner winner Livingstone dinner.
He is clumsy but can take a mark and long term probably more of a KPF than a ruck. If we had a ripper cat B option this year then questions may get asked but happy to give him more time to develop. If Dewar keeps improving he’ll need to come off to Cat B list in the next year or two so there will be space to accommodate another Cat B if needed.

When we go to the draft our mantra always seems to be that we pick the best available player with our pick(s).
So when it comes to the trade table do we do the same? Probably not.
Identify team weakness and target the best players to fulfill it and try lure them over.
or
See who wants to come back to WA and get anyone we can who can fill some type of role.
or
Look at all players who are testing the market and try get the best player(s) possible to come here regardless of where they are from.
I think we focus too much on WA talent that just want to come home, not a bad thing but not always the best.

Unless we know for sure Flynn is going to come good and be the key ruck to take us forward we should be doing everything possible to lure an A-grade ruck over. Unfortunately for us there aren't that many around that are gettable.
Next is a high possession skillful mid which there are a few around.
We have the cash and one of the most highly resourced clubs in the comp, surely we can lure some A-grade talent here.

Ryan, picket, Kelly all have similar bad attributes which have caused the performance slumber, being poor two way running, lack grit and consistency.

on the plus side they would be awesome rotations in the midfield whenever they go unsighted.

We need to recruit running work horses with a lot of mongrel. I'm over the "flair" attributes
IMG_1507.gif

I too put the blame for our current situation squarely on the shoulders of Melbourne’s Kozzie Pickett.

****ing hell are we the only ones which don't think Baker is worth pick 12?? World's gone ****ing mad.

The bloke can't even average 20 touches a game. And is an absolute turnover merchant.
He will fit right in then...

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back