List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:

I would have thought North might look for someone a couple of years younger but the Larkey angle makes a lot of sense
They just need a stop-gap to teach the others. Larkey's elite on his own but he needs helps while younger blokes come through. Darling's probably perfect for it.

Darling is ideal for North. Hes durable, and will get at least 2 years of ok footy.
If North draft a KPF this year, he will have a couple of years to get his shit together before needing to pass Darling, while in the meantime they at least have some structure forward of the ball.

Darling, Larkey and their ruck/fwd Teakle isnt the worst tall setup in the world

Fan of Darling and he has been a bloody good player for us. But we are really in a bad spot as a club and if he can help another club then so be it.
The only thing I will say is why North, they are no better than us.
Go to a team in a window if you can, otherwise commit to reinventing yourself totally and finish with us. But you must accept you must raise the bar considerably to stay with us and be in the best 22.

My offseason please rate it on possibility and your opinion on it.
Barrass for picks 12, 30 and f2.
Hawks f2 for baker
Jack darling for pick 40
Draft
3 Sid the kid Draper
12 Tobie Travaligia
23 Xavier Lindsay
30 Noah Mraz
40 Kale Geeryn
59 Hamish Davis (pick will move up due to pick forfeiting)
Bid on champion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fan of Darling and he has been a bloody good player for us. But we are really in a bad spot as a club and if he can help another club then so be it.
The only thing I will say is why North, they are no better than us.
Go to a team in a window if you can, otherwise commit to reinventing yourself totally and finish with us. But you must accept you must raise the bar considerably to stay with us and be in the best 22.
I think he just wants more years, and some job security.

Im sure if there was a better club offering him the same deal and job security he would go for it. We definitely cant offer him guaranteed games

Darling shouldn't really consider going unless it's to someone in premiership contention. North would be a stupid move. He's better off staying with West Coast and becoming a 300 gamer.

West Coast would only get a low pick for him. And any suggestion of us paying part of his salary at North is ludicrous for no real benefit.

The whole thing doesn't pass the pub test

My offseason please rate it on possibility and your opinion on it.
Barrass for picks 12, 30 and f2.
Hawks f2 for baker
Jack darling for pick 40
Draft
3 Sid the kid Draper
12 Tobie Travaligia
23 Xavier Lindsay
30 Noah Mraz
40 Kale Geeryn
59 Hamish Davis (pick will move up due to pick forfeiting)
Bid on champion.
Lindsay good chance hes not there at 23.
I think those trades arent unreasonable.

Id prefer to chase a Peatling or someone similar and id be prepared to use any pick after the 1st round to get it done. Need 1-2 more mature bodies in the middle

Darling shouldn't really consider going unless it's to someone in premiership contention. North would be a stupid move. He's better off staying with West Coast and becoming a 300 gamer.

West Coast would only get a low pick for him. And any suggestion of us paying part of his salary at North is ludicrous for no real benefit.

The whole thing doesn't pass the pub test
Why?

If he gets offered an extra $1mil from North, he may as well take it.

Darling has released a statement via X:

"The reason for my trade request today was due to doctor's orders. The club had been provided with a medical certificate. I have been diagnosed as suffering from a work related injury and as a result I am on sick leave till further notice. I will not go into any details as to my medical condition as I wish to keep that strictly private. I am doing my best to work with the club and my doctors so I can recover from my injury. I intend to return back to training as soon as I am fit and able."

:thumbsu: Bender at his best. :clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

Why?

If he gets offered an extra $1mil from North, he may as well take it.
North aren't going to pay him an extra million.

His life and family are here. The chance to be a 300 gamer for the club he loves.

VS

More money to uproot his family and lose almost every week on the other side of the country

Money isn't everything.

Now if it gave him a chance for another flag... That would be more tempting, but that's not north.

North aren't going to pay him an extra million.

His life and family are here. The chance to be a 300 gamer for the club he loves.

VS

More money to uproot his family and lose almost every week on the other side of the country

Money isn't everything.

Now if it gave him a chance for another flag... That would be more tempting, but that's not north.
I think you needed to stop at 'more money'.

That's why he moves.

Pretty sure it's happening.
Darling was a very good and sometimes borderline great player but his best days are over. Was a bit of a teasing enigma summed up by the 2018 GF where he played some crap fortball, some amazing football and dropped an absolute sitter in the dying minutes that would have made him a legend if he marked and kicked the goal to put it beyond doubt. Time is up for one Jack and very happy to now see the other Jack flourish.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back