List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
In my night shift boredom up north I've hit the 2006 Premiership rebuild. The 2018 team was dominated by key position players up the spine (Barrass, McGovern, Darling, Kennedy) and a team defence mindset with an ok midfield.
Polar opposite to 2006 with an elite midfield and 1 key position bookend in Glass, plus a hybrid forward/defender in Hunter and a mediocre key forward line in Lynch and Hansen.
The point is the rebuild started as soon as Malthouse left, who knew the window was closed. Judge or any coach in the role was always the sacrificial lamb. We traded elite talent in Ball ( Glass pick 11) and Gehrig (Kerr pick 18).

Rock bottom was 1999/2000. Our rebuild has been delayed under Simpson/O'Brien and we're there right now in the same situation with Barrass, Darling, Watermen, Ryan etc in the trade window.

We don't need a top up of players older than 25. We didn't top up with Chick for pick 8 until 2002 when Worsfold knew we had the young midfield depth and needed some bigger bodies around the ball. We doubled down with Stenglein in 2003.

We need elite talent via the draft. We're too far away to think about contending and Harley's timeline.

And when you look at all the failed picks in that build you realise it's the volume of picks we had rather than keeping blokes on the list on hopes alone.

* The cash symbol is 2006 Premiership player

2006 Premiership list build
Present under Malthouse
Michael Braun $
Rowan Jones $
Ben Cousins $
Andrew Embley $
David Wirrpanda $
Drew Banfield $

TRADES
Jason Ball to Sydney for picks 11, 41
Brendan Fewster to Fremantle for pick 16
DRAFT
11 Darren Glass $
14 Travis Gaspar
16 David Haynes
29 Adam Hunter $
41 Kane Munro
ROOKIE DRAFT
12 Toby McGrath
28 Dean Cox $
44 Kasey Green

TRADES
OUT
Daniel Metropolis and pick 51 to Fremantle for Greg Harding
Mitchell White to Geelong for picks 27, 45, 57
Fraser Gehrig to St Kilda for David Sierakowski and pick 18
IN
Michael Collica and Richard Taylor from Hawthorn for pick 21
Mark Merenda from Richmond for pick 57
Michael Prior from Essendon for pick 27
DRAFT
5 Andrew McDougall
18 Daniel Kerr $
36 Jeremy Humm
45 Trent Carroll
Pre Season Draft
3 Troy Wilson
ROOKIE DRAFT
4 Dean Buszan
20 Zach Beeck
35 Andrew McCarrey
48 Kris Miller

TRADES
DRAFT
3 Chris Judd $
6 Ashley Sampi
22 Mark Seaby $
38 Ashley Hansen $

ROOKIE DRAFT
3 Brent Tuckey
19 Quinten Lynch $
28 Jaxon Crabb

TRADES
OUT
Andrew Williams for Damien Adkins
Pick 8 to Hawthorn for Daniel Chick $

DRAFT
24 Paul Johnson
37 Brent Staker
53 Adam Selwood $

ROOKIE DRAFT
9 Aaron Edwards
25 Mark Nicoski
41 Zach Beeck

TRADES
OUT
David Haynes and pick 42 to Geelong for pick 20

DRAFT
11 Beau Waters $
20 Sam Butler $
27 Daniel McConnell

ROOKIE DRAFT
9 Brett Jones $
25 Michael Embley
40 Jaymie Graham
54 Clancy Rudeforth

TRADES
IN
Tyson Stenglein for picks 12, 28 $
OUT
Chad Morrison to Collingwood for pick 37
Callum Chambers to Carlton for pick 57
Draft
29 Matt Rosa
37 Mark LeCras
57 Brad Smith

ROOKIE DRAFT
9 Ben Sharp
25 Beau Maister
40 Ashley Thornton
52 Aaron Edwards

Last edited:
Cheers, lads. Consensus on here is a bit brighter than I expected. Appreciate that you've acknowledged the shit elements, because that's my general recollection of my limited viewings of his last few years. Sounds like there's still a reasonable amount of good stuff too though. Look forward to our cumulative draw next year

Has a bit of a truck-like turning circle so will get caught out particularly with slippery rebounders going around him (Sheezel if playing back there would just run around him for instance). However your small forward pressure presence is better than ours and we tended to play quite tall forward lines that didn't suit him. He's undeniably a team-first player and was giving the best leading spots etc to Allen/Waterman/even JWilliams.

Think he would actually fit your balance a lot more - he does tackle a fair bit in straight lines and will compete, compete, compete in the air, plus will have the nous to know how to draw his defender well away from Larkey. He'll always be a bit confidence-based but do truly think he'd do pretty well for you guys (2 years would be absolute max you'll get out of him though).

Very odd seeing quite a few ppl talking darling up,even if it is mildly.
The general consensus before his decent game a few weeks ago was that he was washed up and didn't deserve a new contract. Ppl were applauding Schofield for dropping him saying it was years overdue but a north supporter asks a few questions about him and he's suddenly He's worth something to them
He's been very very average for a long time with only our injuries, depth issues a credits with Simpson(mostly this) keeping him in the team
He did a great job going back and performing for the beagles and coming back in and going better but we should take whatevers offered for him and run

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cheers, lads. Consensus on here is a bit brighter than I expected. Appreciate that you've acknowledged the shit elements, because that's my general recollection of my limited viewings of his last few years. Sounds like there's still a reasonable amount of good stuff too though. Look forward to our cumulative draw next year
Has been said but by far his best remaining strength is halving contests. Sounds like a bad thing (shouldn’t forwards be winning them?) but so much of our ball movement plan over recent years has been dump it long to the wing to a 2v1, and Darling will somehow manufacture a stoppage from it more often than not. Very clever at tap ons, timely spoils, stuff you don’t want as your ace from your KPFs but it’s how he’s remained viable.

Work rate can’t be questioned. Regular impact can however. He’ll be in the right spots and you can see his old man body chasing and working, but some games he just doesn’t get anywhere near it with any regularity. As shown this year though, he still has these bizarre quarters and games where you think he’s 10 years younger and he drags you into periods of momentum.

As a work horse to guide a young forward line, and to halve some contests when you’re panic exiting D50, he’ll be an asset. As a match winner or scoreboard impact, he’ll make you tear your hair out with the quarter by quarter rollercoaster experience, and more often than not with where we’re both at you’d simply rather someone younger get the minutes. But if Clarko’s MO is get some experience in to set standards - can’t fault it at all.

For the Eagles, if we got a meaningful pick back (eg 40s not pick 75 or some nonsense) it would be a no brainer and a bit of a win for all parties. If that’s too rich for North, I’d prefer he just ring up game 300 here or test the market elsewhere to see if someone will give up a third rounder for him. But he’s about to be fourth/fifth in line for the only position our list has in absolute spades, so it all makes too much sense if the deal is there to be done.

The general consensus before his decent game a few weeks ago was that he was washed up and didn't deserve a new contract. Ppl were applauding Schofield for dropping him saying it was years overdue but a north supporter asks a few questions about him and he's suddenly He's worth something to them
He's been very very average for a long time with only our injuries, depth issues a credits with Simpson(mostly this) keeping him in the team
He did a great job going back and performing for the beagles and coming back in and going better but we should take whatevers offered for him and run

I do agree we should take what was offered and run, and I was probably in the drop him camp at times this year also, but I don't think that's necessarily because he has nothing to offer.

We had Waterman/Allen beginning to come into their prime and both providing leadership in that position/area, JWilliams who IMO needs to be in the side going forward but frustratingly got dropped himself for Darling, Maric in a similar boat though I do prefer him behind the ball, and an awkward situation with how we're balancing our backup ruck resting forward between Bailey + Flynn.

With all this it just didn't make sense to be picking Darling as automatically as we were which was the frustrating element - I'd rather JWilliams play that role if both were offering similar output.

If North wanted him to be a matchwinning spearhead then I agree he wouldn't be worth it but their list balance is different to ours and it sounds like he'd offer things to them that are surplus to us (actually help development instead of hinder it by playing). They would have areas of their list (like say running halfback/wing) where they had more than enough and a Darling-level player wouldn't be a good fit. Whereas a Darling-level rebounding halfback for us might actually fit well and be good for a Hough/Chesser/push out Rotham etc for a year or two while we build. All about balance IMO.

He has just been the extra tall that we didnt really need. He still plays ok, despite being in a weird role with up to 4 genuine KPFs in the forward line at times.

People wanted JWilliams in the side, and were looking for any reason to talk shit about Darling to justify dropping him I think.

Who would you compare Langford to? Is he a Tom Green type? Bont?

I would say a bit of a mix between the two. He has very similar to the bont's ability to read play before it happens as well as his ability to go forward and kick goals.

He does have an interesting ball drop however and is probably a bit harder at the ball than the bont pointing more towards green.

He gets a shit load of the ball, is generally a very good user, particularly in tight and can kick goals. He's not fast but is agile enough and reads the play at an elite level. I would be lying if i didn't think he was a shot at going top 3.

He will both drop marks he has no right to, and spoil balls he has no right to be anywhere near.

Realistically what could we get from Norf, pick 40? Maybe 22 if we found a decent pick to throw their way.

Think what we paid for Sam Mitchell around same age…but even less than that I reckon.

We will get sweet f.all. But we would entertain it because he played 300 games for us and if he can get couple of years there, we aren’t going to say no.

Have you changed from draper to FOS or was it someone else that was keen on draper (there are many, myself included - although I like Langford too)
I’ve been keen on FOS the whole year, just spent a bit more time looking at other draftees given what I already knew about him and that being injured has made it hard to comment on his output this year.

I like Draper but I’ve never been locked onto him at pick 3 and have FOS ahead of him so no, I haven’t switched. Draper has a very well rounded game but I still think his disposal by both hand and foot is concerning. Pretty much every other aspect of his game is excellent. FOS is absolute silk with disposal and I’ve seen enough to be comfortable that he’ll give us more than anyone else in the draft IMO.

Langford is the best footballer in the draft but need to see his testing results before commenting too much although I’m not as worried about that as I was as he’s running out games and showed he can get separation despite not being overly athletic. Obviously a different kettle of fish at AFL level though.

He has just been the extra tall that we didnt really need. He still plays ok, despite being in a weird role with up to 4 genuine KPFs in the forward line at times.

People wanted JWilliams in the side, and were looking for any reason to talk shit about Darling to justify dropping him I think.

We didn't have to look hard. You can't question his devotion to the team, except when there is a vaccine in play. You can't question he still has good games, except when puts them at risk by missing from 20m straight in front. You can't question he still adds to the side, except for us being one of the only teams trying to play with 4 kpf. And you can't question him helping the development of younger players, except when he's getting a senior game instead of them.

As if we have any salary cap issues. It's essentially buying a pick off North. Pay the money and be done.

That hasn't been the narrative at all

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I doubt darling moves across the country for an extra year.

Ideal moves:
Barass to Hawks for R1 and F1
Darling to North for pick 40.
Bailey Williams to Melbourne for R2
Petrucelle somewhere for R3
100% he does. Dont think ive seen a guy more desperate to extend his career then Darling. Guy just has the fight in him to keep playing as long as he can get a contract for really. Very open about wanting to play for another 3 years and the like

Westcoast can facilitate some pretty handy picks if they pay both barass and darlings remaining contracts

Barass is prob worth a 1st and 2nd, pay his contract out and get 12 and and a f1

Darling is worth a 4th rounder if anything, pay his contract and maybe pick 40

12 + f1 on kozzie
40 on best fullback available

Pykes made it clear we will be aggressive this off-season, these are the sort of deals that need to be done

He will both drop marks he has no right to, and spoil balls he has no right to be anywhere near.

Yep, in both our late season wins against north and Gold Coast, he made super human spoils 2v1 when it looked like a loose defender was going to gobble up an intercept. Both lead to what ended up being match winning goals.

Depends if North want us to chip in with his salary. I suspect they do. Can see us wanting pick 40 so Darling + 59 for pick 40 and we pick up 300k of his salary so North can bank some down the track
If we're chipping in salary there's no reason to give 59 back

What great news to wake up to.

We need a massive draft hand to secure some great young mids and a good ruck and to be able to secure champion.

Next I want some news on petrucelli and rotham please.
Make it so.

Why would we bother with that trade? Get rid of depth for a junk pick upgrade and we chew up salary?
Not a junk pick in this draft. It's extremely deep. With champion around that mark it'll mean bringing in more talent.
Hamish Davis might be there then. Even Urquhart

If your mids can spot him on a lead inside the fifty it will more than likely be a goal.

Why would we bother with that trade? Get rid of depth for a junk pick upgrade and we chew up salary?
Who else are we going to pay the salary to?
And it's supposed to be one of the deepest drafts in years, we know Darling isn't going to be in our next contending team but there's a chance whoever we take at pick 40 will be.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back