List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Westcoast can facilitate some pretty handy picks if they pay both barass and darlings remaining contracts

Barass is prob worth a 1st and 2nd, pay his contract out and get 12 and and a f1

Darling is worth a 4th rounder if anything, pay his contract and maybe pick 40

12 + f1 on kozzie
40 on best fullback available

Pykes made it clear we will be aggressive this off-season, these are the sort of deals that need to be done
Two first round picks on a 171cm 70 kg midget ?

I’m just not sure I see the value in trading Darling for a late junk pick. I guess you could say it frees up a spot that could allow us to retain someone on the edge of being delisted, could be used as points for Champion, but it also punts a club legend at the very end and gets rid of some valuable depth. The only reason I’d do it is if he is adamant he wants to play two more years as we wouldn’t be offering that.

As much as I would take a trade for JD, I don't see old man wanting to up the family to Melbourne this late in his career.

Hopefully I am wrong, I would like to see more of Archer Reid next year, after Jack Williams.

As it stands I think this is the most likely outcome.
I would have thought the most likely scenario is that Nth will split with the Tigers.

Tigers take 2 of Jagga, FOS and Reid.

Nth get 2 of Trainor, Shanahan or Armstrong.

Reid continues to go under the radar, he will be ranked higher than many realise by the Melbourne based clubs.

He sits in that top bracket with Jagga, FOS and Ashcroft.

One interesting rumour is that the Tigers are keen to land FOS and Jagga.

How do they do that?

Tigers with Rioli and Bolton trades may end up with 1st round picks 1, 6, 9, 10 and 17,.

Would they offer 6 plus 9 for 3? A few shuffles of later picks.

We get Hawks first at 12ish.

6, 9 and 12 are our fist rounders.

Lalor
Travaglia
Lindsay

All will end up playing midfield minutes but can also play on the flanks.

We need quanity and quality.

I can tell you right now WCE would accept 9,10 and 17 not just for pick 3 but for 3 and 23.

Gotta love trade rumours? If North were silly enough to try, I don't see Darling leaving W.A. As much as he frustrates us at times, he is solid, quality depth and provides leadership. Frees up the salary cap, makes room for someone else, but what sort of pick would you get?

457399087_1209426013555745_3846358909741324497_n.jpg

CountryLad

Some clubs have Murphy Reid and Harvey Langford top 3.

The only player that seems to be consistently within the top 3 of every club is Smith yet along with FOS is one of 2 top 5 prospects I wouldn't go near. Harley Reid I shit people not could pick up Jagga smith by the jumper in one hand, run, carry, bounce and then kick the ball from the other. Imagine what happens to him in an inside midfield role against gun, established players.....

Draper looks like he could go as high as 2 or as low as 10.

Hey cousins, genuine question, interested in your response, I just posted this on the Freo board:

The complicating factor in any trade deals would be a bidding war with West Coast. It would be in both Freo and WCE's interests to be having a quiet chat in the back room of a bar about divvying up the pickings to mutual benefit. I hate to say it but it's true. It's frenemy time.

We could really hurt each other bidding up the price on Pickett/Bolton/Baker/Warner/Whoever.
Is there a unique opportunity for clever cooperation?

I would have thought the most likely scenario is that Nth will split with the Tigers.

Tigers take 2 of Jagga, FOS and Reid.

Nth get 2 of Trainor, Shanahan or Armstrong.

Reid continues to go under the radar, he will be ranked higher than many realise by the Melbourne based clubs.

He sits in that top bracket with Jagga, FOS and Ashcroft.
From what I’m told Richmond will be prioritising talls with those picks. They’ll be after the same players you mentioned that North would presumably be looking at. So Jagga then a suite of the best talls who happen to be ranked at the picks they are likely to get from trades.

If the mooted trades go through I think Tigers will aim for Jagga then two of Trainor, Shanahan and Armstrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey cousins, genuine question, interested in your response, I just posted this on the Freo board:

The complicating factor in any trade deals would be a bidding war with West Coast. It would be in both Freo and WCE's interests to be having a quiet chat in the back room of a bar about divvying up the pickings to mutual benefit. I hate to say it but it's true. It's frenemy time.

We could really hurt each other bidding up the price on Pickett/Bolton/Baker/Warner/Whoever.
Makes sense. Out of those 4 names what is your proposal on how to divvy them up? What club gets what 2?

Doubt Pickett and Bolton take a pay cut and would still have to met their current club demands

Like when freo stuck their noses in for kelly? Driving his price up

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

We're not involved with Bolton and we won't be helping Freo with Warner or Baker. Pickett is fairly clear cut to me - two firsts and he's yours with Melbourne paying his salary OR Melbourne won't pay his salary and he lands with us for a lower price. You guys can afford to give Baker more than us so there is a world where I see you guys getting all of Bolton, Pickett and Baker but not Warner.

CountryLad

Some clubs have Murphy Reid and Harvey Langford top 3.

The only player that seems to be consistently within the top 3 of every club is Smith yet along with FOS is one of 2 top 5 prospects I wouldn't go near. Harley Reid I shit people not could pick up Jagga smith by the jumper in one hand, run, carry, bounce and then kick the ball from the other. Imagine what happens to him in an inside midfield role against gun, established players.....

Draper looks like he could go as high as 2 or as low as 10.
Why wouldn’t you go near FOS? Not enough production this year?

I still have vivid memories of what you pricks did with Kelly when he requested to be traded to WC, I hold a grudge and I hope we bend you over the trade table and make you squeal!

As much as I would take a trade for JD, I don't see old man wanting to up the family to Melbourne this late in his career.

Hopefully I am wrong, I would like to see more of Archer Reid next year, after Jack Williams.
No one has JD in our best 22 next year and he won’t get an extension at WCE so he may go wherever the $$ and games are for the sake of 2-3 years. Then can put his feet up wherever he likes as a 300+ gamer with some extra cash.

Agree that moving from the WA footy fishbowl to the VIC footy fishbowl doesn’t sound ideal. QLD or NSW would be a good fit but do those clubs have a need for a veteran third tall?

Lions: alongside Daniher and Hipwood?
Swans: McDonald, Amartey and McLean
Giants: alongside Cadman and Hogan?
GC: could use his experience and perhaps a replacement for Lukosious but their talls are set with King, Walter and Mac Daddy (unless he goes to the back line again?)

Surely a contender like Collingwood would show interest, but they have also been linked to other veteran talls such as Tex Walker and Tom Lynch.

No one has JD in our best 22 next year and he won’t get an extension at WCE so he may go wherever the $$ and games are for the sake of 2-3 years. Then can put his feet up wherever he likes as a 300+ gamer with some extra cash.

Agree that moving from the WA footy fishbowl to the VIC footy fishbowl doesn’t sound ideal. QLD or NSW would be a good fit but do those clubs have a need for a veteran third tall?

Lions: alongside Daniher and Hipwood?
Swans: McDonald, Amartey and McLean
Giants: alongside Cadman and Hogan?
GC: could use his experience and perhaps a replacement for Lukosious but their talls are set with King, Walter and Mac Daddy (unless he goes to the back line again?)

Surely a contender like Collingwood would show interest, but they have also been linked to other veteran talls such as Tex Walker and Tom Lynch.

You would think as an AFL player in 2026 and maybe 2027 he is getting absolutely minimum of $300k p.a.

He’s probably not getting that outside of footy, at least not initially.

It makes sense for all involved and if JD is keen we should facilitate and wish him well.

Hoping JD and TB (assuming both leave) aren’t booed. They will be, but should be applauded in some ways for helping the club by leaving

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

You would think as an AFL player in 2026 and maybe 2027 he is getting absolutely minimum of $300k p.a.

He’s probably not getting that outside of footy, at least not initially.

It makes sense for all involved and if JD is keen we should facilitate and wish him well.

Hoping JD and TB (assuming both leave) aren’t booed. They will be, but should be applauded in some ways for helping the club by leaving

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

IMO knowing the goings on I would boo Barrass.

JD on the other hand does not deserve that. I still don't think he moves but if he does for a 2 year contract and the club pays some of it then so be it.

Has been said but by far his best remaining strength is halving contests. Sounds like a bad thing (shouldn’t forwards be winning them?) but so much of our ball movement plan over recent years has been dump it long to the wing to a 2v1, and Darling will somehow manufacture a stoppage from it more often than not. Very clever at tap ons, timely spoils, stuff you don’t want as your ace from your KPFs but it’s how he’s remained viable.

Work rate can’t be questioned. Regular impact can however. He’ll be in the right spots and you can see his old man body chasing and working, but some games he just doesn’t get anywhere near it with any regularity. As shown this year though, he still has these bizarre quarters and games where you think he’s 10 years younger and he drags you into periods of momentum.

As a work horse to guide a young forward line, and to halve some contests when you’re panic exiting D50, he’ll be an asset. As a match winner or scoreboard impact, he’ll make you tear your hair out with the quarter by quarter rollercoaster experience, and more often than not with where we’re both at you’d simply rather someone younger get the minutes. But if Clarko’s MO is get some experience in to set standards - can’t fault it at all.

For the Eagles, if we got a meaningful pick back (eg 40s not pick 75 or some nonsense) it would be a no brainer and a bit of a win for all parties. If that’s too rich for North, I’d prefer he just ring up game 300 here or test the market elsewhere to see if someone will give up a third rounder for him. But he’s about to be fourth/fifth in line for the only position our list has in absolute spades, so it all makes too much sense if the deal is there to be done.
Halved contest in last minute of Hobart game to give Cripps a chance to goal is evidence enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back