List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
So hard to predict but I recon the opposite...Something like below

1. Jagga
2. O'Sullivan
3. Draper (Adelaide via trade WCE)
If they're off the board and we pick up an extra second rounder by trading 3 for 4, I'd love to go for Sam Lalor. We can get a couple of defensive mids on the cheap (Sheldrick / Peatling / Parfitt / Dev).

Having two bulls like Reid and Lalor terrorising teams over the next 10+ years would make up for the last 3...

Quick question on Draper. Who is his comparison? I haven’t seen it/can’t recall it if have. I keep thinking Merret but have no idea why.
I'd say Luke Shuey would be a good comparison, minus Shueys elite kicking on both sides.

Similar height, build (though I think Shuey was about 82kgs when drafted, opposed to Draper at 77kgs), but a slightly better one touch player than Shuey with elite clearance and ground ball ability.

Explosiveness in spades to burst away from packs or thru tackles and great awareness in congestion and snap decision making, just like the great man.

Ready made player, bottom ager too I believe.

Last edited:

With the father son & academy players Brisbane are due to pick up over the next 2-3 drafts, Dev is quickly going to slip down to 36th rated player.

Feels like if he wants to salvage his career he needs to move this off-season. Even if he plays in this years Grand Final as the 26th rated player, 2025 will be harder for him to get a game.
He’s shit but by God we need / want him!!

What do we know about Jack Carroll?

Decent VFL numbers. Showed some signs at AFL level, Round 0 when he came on as sub especially.

Depth player if we miss out on other targets would be my guess. (Peatling, Garcia, Hopefully Sheldrick).

What do you think GC will get from Adelaide for Lukosius and would there be a trade scenario involving WC?

Potential scenario
Adelaide give pick 4 and get Lukosius and WC pick 23
Adelaide go to the draft with picks 23 & 25

GC give pick 6 & Adelaide pick 4 and get picks WC 3 & F3 (F2 at worst-case)
GC use pick 13 & 20 & WC F3 on Rioli and Noble

WC give picks 3, 23 & F3~F2 and get picks 4 & 6
WC go to the draft with pick 4, 6 & 12 and use F2~F3 on trade for one of Baker or Perryman etc
(Assumes Hawks give picks 12 & F1st)

The trade values line up😀.
Values Lukosius at pick 13
Get in front of any Lombard bid
Leaves WC with earlier picks but nothing before 59
My brain hurts

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are some cheap midfield options out there and I’m thinking we might get one or two
Peatling
Sheldrick
Carrol
Graham
Garcia
Parfitt
Robertson

Etc

My strong preference is Peatling the Sheldrick but we will need cover
Sheldrick will be a good player has the mongrel and attitude required to make it. Peatling a no brainer if he wants out of GWS.

I don't think it's the year that anyone will want to be splitting.

It's best put as: the best player this year would go at say #8 in any other year.
But there are 10 guys at that same level.

There's no Cadman, no top level WA/SA prospect to keep in home states as secondary decisions that could sway things.

In fact if we could manage to split 3 and even add something to get two shots within this bracket we should 100% do it and start the car.
There is clearly a top 3 IMO apart from ashcroft which is FOS jagga and draiper .

Then smillie, Langford and read are the next bracket all with down sides

Smillie didn't transition to playing bigger opponents
Langford is one paced
Read is a flight risk

Just pick the top 3 player who is still there .

The aim should be to take 5 draftees - pick 3, Hawthorns R1, 23,59 (Malakai) and one other

Barrass and perhaps Darling being traded out opens 2 spots so 3 uncontracted players need to be cut at a minimum

Take your pick from Rotham, Witherden, Jones, Edwards, Trew, Burgiel, Culley or Baker to cut leaving 5 remaining from that group

We then have to make a decision from whoever agrees to join us from Baker, Graham, Peatling, Robertson, Carroll, Garcia, Sheldrick, Blight, Parfitt or anyone else we’re targeting

Each one that comes in means one of those remaining 5 has to go - every one of those targets is better than each of the uncontracted players.

Obviously if we trade anyone else out like Petruccelle or Ryan then we can bring in more players or keep one or two of those uncontracted players

All of the above is why we haven’t delisted anyone yet because until trade week starts we don’t know who’s coming or going via trade so won’t know how many to cut as a result

It’s also possible that the new coach may want to have a say on who’s kept or cut

There is clearly a top 3 IMO apart from ashcroft which is FOS jagga and draiper .

Then smillie, Langford and read are the next bracket all with down sides

Smillie didn't transition to playing bigger opponents
Langford is one paced
Read is a flight risk

Just pick the top 3 player who is still there .
Id argue there is downside in the above bracket too.

Fos.. production / injury prone / indifferent top age year

Jagga... Slight Frame.. upside? Given his full focus was on footy this year (finished yr 12 last yr)

Draper... I dunno ? He's my fav but point is all draftees have their pros and cons and I'm not sure a top bracket of 3 exists.

Id argue there is downside in the above bracket too.

Fos.. production / injury prone / indifferent top age year

Jagga... Slight Frame.. upside? Given his full focus was on footy this year (finished yr 12 last yr)

Draper... I dunno ? He's my fav but point is all draftees have their pros and cons and I'm not sure a top bracket of 3 exists.
Jagga will be fine in 3 years everyone will be wondering why he slid .

Tom Mitchell clone in the way he plays .

I prefer draiper too but I suspect he doesn't last until our pick .

Jagga will be fine in 3 years everyone will be wondering why he slid .

Tom Mitchell clone in the way he plays .

I prefer draiper too but I suspect he doesn't last until our pick .

None of that is a certainty like Harley was last year.

IMO and many others is the top 3-4 are simply not to the higher standards as previous drafts. They are in their own tier but not elite.

Some draft commentators are saying the best player of the draft may come after pick 30. Thats how spread out the talent is and how uncertain the top 3 are.

If they're off the board and we pick up an extra second rounder by trading 3 for 4, I'd love to go for Sam Lalor. We can get a couple of defensive mids on the cheap (Sheldrick / Peatling / Parfitt / Dev).

Having two bulls like Reid and Lalor terrorising teams over the next 10+ years would make up for the last 3...
Sheldrick isn't a defensive mid, quite the opposite and is what stops him getting more regular games

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back