List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
There are some cheap midfield options out there and I’m thinking we might get one or two
Peatling
Sheldrick
Carrol
Graham
Garcia
Parfitt
Robertson

Etc

My strong preference is Peatling the Sheldrick but we will need cover
Cap in hand, I hope we ask for a couple/few//bunch/several second rounder PP to use to target exactly this.

I wouldn't be adverse to taking a bunch of them. We sure have enough dead wood to delist.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Draper & Langford are the two for mine.

Draper looks an obvious natural midfielder. Good blend of Viney and Shuey. Stoppage work, clean hands, but most importantly tenacity and creativity.

Sell some potatoes, try to turn the Barass pick into something in Langford's range. It's not impossible. That left boot of his is going to be an absolute weapon at AFL level, it's obvious.

Id argue there is downside in the above bracket too.

Fos.. production / injury prone / indifferent top age year

Jagga... Slight Frame.. upside? Given his full focus was on footy this year (finished yr 12 last yr)

Draper... I dunno ? He's my fav but point is all draftees have their pros and cons and I'm not sure a top bracket of 3 exists.
FOS isn't injury prone. He has had 2 hand injuries requiring surgery, and 2 collision soft tissue injuries. That's footy. He doesnt to ankles, knees, hammys. Relax.

If you knew some of the injuries the kids have sustained during their junior career, that then get drafted, wing flags,AA etc you'd be shocked.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Draper looks an obvious natural midfielder. Good blend of Viney and Shuey. Stoppage work, clean hands, but most importantly tenacity and creativity.

Sell some potatoes, try to turn the Barass pick into something in Langford's range. It's not impossible. That left boot of his is going to be an absolute weapon at AFL level, it's obvious.
Yeah I'm hoping we can get Langford, just can football

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm still big on the Draper/Travaglia combo - if we can get that done with the TB pick I'll be stoked. I think it'll be a reach for Tobie to be available at that pick but I'm daring to dream.
Yeah I'm hoping we can get Langford, just can football

Langford can certainly play but the athleticism element does worry me somewhat with the modern need of a quick first few steps for an AFL mid.

Langford's to slow. Hoping for FOS, would be happy with Draper as well. Think it would be a great draft to split our first to try and get Lalor/TT and Lindsay/Allan. Maybe there's a deal to be done with Freo, Richmond or St Kilda if they land Band 1 from Battle.

I'm still big on the Draper/Travaglia combo - if we can get that done with the TB pick I'll be stoked. I think it'll be a reach for Tobie to be available at that pick but I'm daring to dream.

Langford can certainly play but the athleticism element does worry me somewhat with the modern need of a quick first few steps for an AFL mid.
Glass half full we’re definitely a chance with the Hawks pick for Travaglia. This is how I see the picks until then panning out:

Trades:

NM: 2 for 4 and 25 with ADEL

GCS: 6 for Rioli with RICH

FREO: 9 and 10 for Bolton and 21 with RICH

*expect NM to offer F1 for pick 6 for Trainor
  1. RICH-Smith
  2. ADEL-Draper via NM
  3. WCE-O’Sullivan
  4. NM-Smillie via ADEL
  5. MELB-Lalor
  6. RICH-Langford via GCS
  7. STK-MReid
  8. STK-Trainor via FA
  9. ESS-Shanahan
  10. RICH-Armstrong via FREO
  11. RICH-Hotton via FREO via COLL
  12. CARL-Berry
  13. WCE-Travaglia via HAW
The two clubs which I’m most concerned about are St Kilda’s second pick if they get it and Carlton. But I think STK will opt for whichever of Trainor and Smillie North don’t choose and Carlton will take Berry.

Last edited:
We should get him because he's a west Aussie

Well he is a young left footed mid who can play inside or outside. And would cost very little.

On the fringe at a club contending. 15 games this year some as sub.

So a few more reasons than just being from WA.

There are some cheap midfield options out there and I’m thinking we might get one or two
Peatling
Sheldrick
Carrol
Graham
Garcia
Parfitt
Robertson

Etc

My strong preference is Peatling then Sheldrick but we will need cover
My order of preference is;

1. Peatling
2. Sheldrick
3. Garcia

4. Parfitt

5. Carrol

6. Graham/Robertson

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Langford's speed is less of an issue when..

• He's good in traffic
  • Has a laser for a left foot
  • Tough
  • Can accumulate the ball
  • Has a big body and decent overhead.

Can't hit the jackpot on every single stat, there's only so many Brayden Ainsworths out there gaiz.

Sheldrick isn't a defensive mid, quite the opposite and is what stops him getting more regular games

Also plays for a team that has probably the deepest midfield in the comp.

Do agree he’s more link player which we need badly then defensively mind mid.

Him, Garcia and Peatling would be a home run along with the 2 top 15 picks.

Glass half full were definitely a chance with the Hawks pick for Travaglia. This is how I see the picks until then panning out:

Trades:

NM: 2 for 4 and 25 with ADEL

GCS: 6 for Rioli with RICH

FREO: 9 and 10 for Bolton and 21 with RICH

*expect NM to offer F1 for pick 6 for Trainor
  1. RICH-Smith
  2. ADEL-Draper via NM
  3. WCE-O’Sullivan
  4. NM-Smillie via ADEL
  5. MELB-Lalor
  6. RICH-Langford via GCS
  7. STK-MReid
  8. STK-Trainor via FA
  9. ESS-Shanahan
  10. RICH-Armstrong via FREO
  11. RICH-Hotton via FREO via COLL
  12. CARL-Berry
  13. WCE-Travaglia via HAW
The two clubs which I’m most concerned about are St Kilda’s second pick if they get it and Carlton. But I think STK will opt for whichever of Trainor and Smillie North don’t choose and Carlton will take Berry.

A bit of wishful thinking that Richmond take a risk on Hotton and not take a fully fit and firing Travagalia.

Especially with pick 11.

Same with Carlton.

Need to hope Saints don't get band 1 for an above average decent half back 3rd tall.

Last edited:
Does Joe Berry have any midfield potential? Haven’t seen him mentioned much on this but if we did split 3 could he be an option or even with 12. He looks classy.

Has a bit of the Marc Lecras' about him. If Lecras didn't do his knee he was midfield destined. Berry is my second favourite player in the pool. My favourite player and who I rate at 1 doesn't want to leave Victoria.

A bit of wishful thinking that Richmomd take s risk on Hotton and not take a fully fit and firing Travagalia.

Especially with pick 11.

Same with Carlton.

Need to hope Saints don't get band 1 for an above average decent half back 3rd tall.
I think Richmond will take Hotton or Whitlock with that pick depending on how they see the rest of the draft panning out. They still have plenty of HBFs even with Rioli leaving.

Carlton will be done to Berry or Travaglia but I think they’ll go Berry.

As always will be up to the AFL to decide about the compo, but the Hawks didn’t up their offer after media reported it as band 2 so fingers crossed.

Well he is a young left footed mid who can play inside or outside. And would cost very little.

On the fringe at a club contending. 15 games this year some as sub.

So a few more reasons than just being from WA.
fringe players from contending clubs are often not what you hope. i have serious doubts that carroll is worth pursuing. if he comes at a throw pick then sure, but otherwise i'd prefer to hit the draft.

Richmond upgraded Jack Graham offer to 4 years as well. (Gettable) which would probably indicated the $$ aren’t great and the comp wouldn’t be great so that’s why they have upped their offer

Bolton not ruled out for the Eagles but unlikely.

Peatling mentioned. Also DGB but that was just Riley speculating

Harvey Langford mentioned as in the pick 1 talk

Last edited:
I think Richmond will take Hotton or Whitlock with that pick depending on how they see the rest of the draft panning out. They still have plenty of HBFs even with Rioli leaving.

Carlton will be done to Berry or Travaglia but I think they’ll go Berry.

As always will be up to the AFL to decide about the compo, but the Hawks didn’t up their offer after media reported it as band 2 so fingers crossed.

That's a bit early for Whitlock.

Seen him ranked in the later teens at the earliest.

fringe players from contending clubs are often not what you hope. i have serious doubts that carroll is worth pursuing. if he comes at a throw pick then sure, but otherwise i'd prefer to hit the draft.

All later draft picks and trades for fringe players are hit and miss.

And he will cost very little. Maybe nothing.

So it's take a risk with pick 60 plus. Or go with a 23 year old who has proved he is good enough to be selected in a contending side.

I'd rather go Carrol than pick 60 plus. 50 plus won't be adding anything short term.

That's a bit early for Whitlock.

Seen him ranked in the later teens at the earliest.
I agree, I’ve got both Whitlocks ranked in the 2R, but think Richmond and Sydney are going to try and get both of them to the same club. IMO Richmond will take the two best mids, Hotton and then talls with the remaining picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back