List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
This is where other clubs play chess while we play ****ing checkers. How about let's use out 23 to move our TB pick up so we get tobie.

How about put that out there. Christ

We’re a month away from the chess/checkers even starting.

****ing hell there's alot of happy clapper splitters here.

Listen here. There are levels to this shit.

Complete reckless. Even if small there's still levels to this draft

No discussion should be had unless we can 100% rule out for certain sid draper will not be available for us at 3!!!

Draper has shown it at every level and against men. He's level above everyone and is within striking distance.
Thwres plenty of hype but that's what they said about:
Jackson Hately
& James Aish
& Jack Trengrove

In the WAFL
O'Driscoll
& Sharp
& Daniel Wells (going back)

Playing state league is a nice asterisk on a cv but doesn't really correlate to being better in 5 years time.

As far as Draper, he has been like every other 18 yr old which is what you would expect. A few good games, a few poor and holding his spot.

Go look at JHF who blitzed a couple of the SANFL finals playing off a fwd flank as a rough guide to what a top draftee should be doing.

Draper as more of an accumulator should be going at 35 disp + 6 tackles and a goal a game if in that echelon.

I'd be fine with Richmond keeping Graham, taking only Baker, and using the spot we had saved for Graham on a younger Dev or Carroll.
This is the thing with the perceived negativity towards Graham. It’s not that he’s a terrible player or couldn’t fill a role for us, it’s that there’s younger guys with far more upside who could fill the same role and would come cheap or free as well. We can’t take them all so if there’s a choice you go with the youth and upside. If Dev, Sheldrick, Garcia, Carrol (and Peatling) all say no then throw Graham a bone.

Why the likely Liam Baker trade shows the AFL has gone soft​

Now I can't tell if this is a serious question

It's serious. I'd like to know what more you think they should be doing - releasing statements over-inflating Barrass's worth etc?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cornes is right.

Eagles and tigers will both be at the bottom of the ladder for the foreseeable future. As a result we are going to be competing for similar draft selections and they won't bat an eyelid to get ahead of us.

We should dig our heels in and walk baker to the PSD. And if we have to have some ' good faith' make it Hawks F2nd we get for Barrass.

Same goes for hawks.nthey want Barrass, cough up.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

If everyone's playing "hardball" like Kane wants, why would Richmond not just pick up Baker again in the PSD?

This guy gets paid a fortune too
Because he will then just leave in a years time for nothing as a delisted free agent. They waste a year on him and lose a year of development of a kid by holding onto a player who doesnt want to be there.

Cornes is right.

Eagles and tigers will both be at the bottom of the ladder for the foreseeable future. As a result we are going to be competing for similar draft selections and they won't bat an eyelid to get ahead of us.

We should dig our heels in and walk baker to the PSD. And if we have to have some ' good faith' make it Hawks F2nd we get for Barrass.

Same goes for hawks.nthey want Barrass, cough up.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
Re : Hawthorn, F2 as part of the deal for Barrass won’t be much ~ #40. In other words not much more than nothing.

That’s hardly coughing up.

If everyone's playing "hardball" like Kane wants, why would Richmond not just pick up Baker again in the PSD?

This guy gets paid a fortune too
Not going to happen ways to get around it.

Baker could put 1 year, $1.2m on his head. Richmond ain’t touching that to just go through it all again next year. Once the Eagles draft him they can sign an extension for an extra 4 years and level the contract out.

Not going to happen ways to get around it.

Baker could put 1 year, $1.2m on his head. Richmond ain’t touching that to just go through it all again next year. Once the Eagles draft him they can sign an extension for an extra 4 years and level the contract out.

Hasn't Baker said he wants Richmond compensated?

We're not getting him in the PSD. We should be willing to walk away though if our offer isn't enough

I didn't think it was possible but Ralph is even worse.

What make it even more annoying is that Ralph has a VERY punchable face.

I'm generally a chilled middle aged Dad these days but I'd love to bust his nose. Give him an Owen Wilson

Wow GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back