List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't believe we are actually going to trade down pick three to unlock a baker trade. Madness

Alternative is to give up picks.
I can't say much but and it may not happen but a lot of work has gone into making sure pick 3 is used on a much higher caliber player than Baker.

The clubs has quite a few trade targets. Hopefully get a couple over the line but still want 2 picks inside the top 20 of the draft.
Bolton + baker for pick 3, pick 23 with bitchmonds pick 29 back. Unders for tigers who will want 3 and 12 included.

Despite what is being said, Bolton and baker make us better. Pearling for 23.

We need mids but can’t all be solved in one draft. We are much more competitive with those in the team and Pearline and hit another a grader in next years draft and hope we hit one with pick 12.

I am at peace with it. Go to draft with at least pick 12 and see who else we can trade.

it’s a 50/50 call that is heavily dependent on what we give up in draft capital to bring him in.
Let's not pretend he is shit.
This is the point. If we were flying and lacking his specific role in the team I’d happily hand over pick 23 for him.

With our list state and the quality of this draft I’d much rather invest that pick in a 18yo player. Next year is looking like our NGAs/FS will slide into the 3rd round so I’d be happy to trade our F3 for him, but not our F2 as again that deprives us of a very good player to pick.

At the end of the day everyone will have their own threshold as to what Baker is worth to the team in its current state. Hopefully Clarke et al are in the best position to make that call but I hope they err towards paying less rather than more.

We could even trade 3 down to Adelaide on draft night if they are desperate for Sid Draper which I would if it to happen it would look like 3 for 4 and 25 but I would prefer for us to pick Sid but that is just an option to generate more picks.

Something like this option reinforces why we shouldn’t use pick 3 as part of Baker trade. Even 3 for Baker and 6 as being floated in a few places doesn’t add to our draft hand.

For me - I prefer to retain 3 and see what comes to us of draft night. Another extra pick before our current second and aside from Barrass trade is something we should be looking for.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

3 and 59 for 6, 41 and Baker?

Gets us an extra pick (ironically the one we gave them last year for Hall) plus Baker, whilst they get to move up the top end of the draft for FOS and Smith.

Otherwise their pick 47 even.

Who says no? Other than my wife.

We should say no.

I know the points system says that values Baker at 54, but that points system is being ripped up and replaced because it is seriously flawed.

3 & 59 for 6 & 41 would be laughed out of the room, so it really is Baker adding any value to that downgrade. He adds some, but needs to be the Eagles valuation (F2 or 23 at a pinch) rather than nominally whatever the Tigers want to ask for.

They want pick 3, pay up.

3 for 6, 25-30, Baker. (6 + 30 is about even on ‘points’… Baker is then the cost to move up).

Or just sit with a F2 offer. They will eventually take it.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

We should say no.

I know the points system says that values Baker at 54, but that points system is being ripped up and replaced because it is seriously flawed.

3 & 59 for 6 & 41 would be laughed out of the room, so it really is Baker adding any value to that downgrade. He adds some, but needs to be the Eagles valuation (F2 or 23 at a pinch) rather than nominally whatever the Tigers want to ask for.

They want pick 3, pay up.

3 for 6, 25-30, Baker. (6 + 30 is about even on ‘points’… Baker is then the cost to move up).

Or just sit with a F2 offer. They will eventually take it.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
at around 3 we should be looking for match winners not good players.

Only saw the last quarter but quiet game for FOS. Jagga with 30 odd disposals and was clean with good decision making in the last quarter. Oakleigh into the prelim by a couple of points so both will get another chance. Sims injured foot/ankle but not really on our radar I would have thought.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3 and 59 for 6, 41 and Baker?

Gets us an extra pick (ironically the one we gave them last year for Hall) plus Baker, whilst they get to move up the top end of the draft for FOS and Smith.

Otherwise their pick 47 even.

Who says no? Other than my wife.

Don’t think we can return reverse trade a pick as per your example above.

Good post, was just about to post the same thing, only more eloquently.

Whilst the carry on over the potential Baker acquisition and every ******* trade from Jon Ralph which ends up with us overpaying is just cause for melts...

Let's not pretend he is shit. I don't necessarily agree with targetting him simply because HE says he wants to come home, however you'd have to be blind to totally disregard him as a decent AFL player.

I'm a stats man normally but in Baker case you can see stats can be a bit deceiving.

He's a quality player that can play in any third of the ground and have an impact. He lifts his teammates around him with his courage and leadership (for a midget) and brings others into the game.

He does the 1% things which helps you win games and bobs up at the right time to do them. I think leadership at West Coast is borderline a farce at this point. Allen and Duggan aren't a leaders arseh*le. Neither should be captain. Meanwhile our VC is attempting to walk out the door. Case could be made McGovern is a leader I guess, but his game style is also rather selfish as well.

Who else is there? Cripps? Kelly? Haha!! Biggest non leaders we have those 2, and that's along with our captain's.

Baker for mine instantly becomes potentially the best leader we have. He'd be handy during pre season given his experience, where he's come from and what he's done in the AFL.

This is all copium of course.
Waterman is more of a leader than Allen and duggan IMO .

Just make the loosh the captain and Allen/dug the deputies

Don’t think we can return reverse trade a pick as per your example above.

I believe that’s just within the same draft period in which it was traded. Pretty much due to us hiding picks for Sydney (Rowbottom from memory) then trading it back and getting a 2R/F2 out of it. So I think we can receive it back this year.

I agree getting in those 3rd round and 4th round picks would be very useful.
My trades for the offseason:

Jack Darling for 40 from North.
Petch for 47 from Richmond
Barnett for Pick 42 from Adelaide.
Barras and future 2nd for Picks 14 (Could change even more probs will), F1, and 30.
We could even trade 3 down to Adelaide on draft night if they are desperate for Sid Draper which I would if it to happen it would look like 3 for 4 and 25 but I would prefer for us to pick Sid but that is just an option to generate more picks.
That in the end leaves us with picks:
3 Sid Draper
14 Tobie Travaglia
23 Alix Taura
30 Noah Mraz
40 Hamish Davis (must get him)
42 Kale Gerynn
47 and 59 suck up in Champion bid.
Probably rookie draft a good state ruck to fill the void of our bad rucks
100% draiper would complement our mids so well .

2 way running , agile ball pig who tackles hard and brings others into the game .

There are lampposts more mobile than Scott Jones
Tell me about it...I was walking home from the park with the kids the other day. Bloody lamppost baulked past me with a beautiful dummy and booted it from 70m.

w***er showed me up in front of my kids, and to rub salt into the wound, it made the walk home more dangerous due to lack of lighting on the footpath. ****ing Tosser!!!

Imo if tigers really want 3 in a trade/pick swap its because they really want a player early. Make them overpay for it. Not here for fair value.

Just saw some stats:

Jagga 30 disposals (14k 16hb) 4 marks 7 tackles 5 I50 1 R50 1 FF 1 goal
FOS 17 disposals (7k 10hb) 2 marks 2 tackles 4 I50 1 R50 1 FF 1 FA
Dattoli 21 disposals (6k 15hb) 5 tackles 3 I50 1 FA 0.2
Gross 21 disposals (15k 6hb) 5 marks 1 tackle 5 I50 2 FF 2.3
Sims 10 disposals (4k 6hb) 3 marks 10 hitouts 2 I50 1 R50 2 FF 3 FA

Hamish Davis on now for those who want to see a possible Liam Baker pick 23 alternative.

Just saw some stats:

Jagga 30 disposals (14k 16hb) 4 marks 7 tackles 5 I50 1 R50 1 FF 1 goal
FOS 17 disposals (7k 10hb) 2 marks 2 tackles 4 I50 1 R50 1 FF 1 FA
Dattoli 21 disposals (6k 15hb) 5 tackles 3 I50 1 FA 0.2
Gross 21 disposals (15k 6hb) 5 marks 1 tackle 5 I50 2 FF 2.3
Sims 10 disposals (4k 6hb) 3 marks 10 hitouts 2 I50 1 R50 2 FF 3 FA

Hamish Davis on now for those who want to see a possible Liam Baker pick 23 alternative.
Surely FOS is becoming a bit of a concern. Hasn’t cracked 20 disposals in a game yet this year.

Surely FOS is becoming a bit of a concern. Hasn’t cracked 20 disposals in a game yet this year.
It is a concern, but he also hasn’t been able to string games together because of injury. Richmond with an expected bounty of picks may be less risk averse than others. Another game next week, will be well worth watching. Only saw a bit of the game but Jagga was so clean. Jagga, FOS and Draper would all be good picks IMO, but each obviously comes with their downside as well as strengths.

It is a concern, but he also hasn’t been able to string games together because of injury. Richmond with an expected bounty of picks may be less risk averse than others. Another game next week, will be well worth watching. Only saw a bit of the game but Jagga was so clean. Jagga, FOS and Draper would all be good picks IMO, but each obviously comes with their downside as well as strengths.
Starting to become really concerned he’s a higher priced Chesser. We need blokes that can get there hands on the ball.

Jagga, Reid, Draper, Langford and Smillie are all ball pigs, must all be better suited to our needs at this stage.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back