List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
what is the tldr version of what will happen with bailey smith? he wants geelong? what is likely going to get it done? (i have enough trouble keeping up with this thread without going on other threads)
given it looks like pick 15/16 at worst/best (depends who you ask), im guessing it will be this years first and next years first.

Is Drew Banfield sboy in the draft this year or did he play as an underager?

HUN write up today on Carlton stating their list needs

View attachment 2106016

Would we be able to meet 2 of their needs with Petch and Ryan with 2 years salary paid for pick 11?

I believe Carlton had interest in Petch a year or so ago.

Maybe, maybe if we sent 23 back.

But we aren’t getting 11 for Ryan (aware you included Petch but he would be F3/F4 value so nominal).

Will be interesting to see what happens with a few on our list, as I think we would consider offers for all but about 8 players.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

When are we gonna delist people, I'm bored.

834032.jpg

View attachment 2106016

Would we be able to meet 2 of their needs with Petch and Ryan with 2 years salary paid for pick 11?

Surely they'd be more interested in Barrass than Ryan or Petrucelle. I'd take De Koning or Kennedy for Ryan and/or Petrucelle though.

Surely they'd be more interested in Barrass than Ryan or Petrucelle. I'd take De Koning or Kennedy for Ryan and/or Petrucelle though.
If it was TdK, I’d jump for Joy

Kennedy is pretty slow - not sure you would get much love for him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Geelong wind up with Bailey Smith, I hope the price they pay sets them back years and absolutely cripples them.

If Geelong wind up with Bailey Smith, I hope the price they pay sets them back years and absolutely cripples them.
He is out of contract , coming off an ACL and has outside football interests that can affect his football .

Will be interesting to see what dogs get for him

Won't matter to them, those motherfu*kers legit build teams through 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounders, heck even rookie drafts.

They won't be crippled for the next 10 years with the way they operate.

Absolute peak list management, talent identification and development.

Won't matter to them, those motherfu*kers legit build teams through 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounders, heck even rookie drafts.

Nick Martin trains with us and we didnt know he was talented

Hard to value what JK value was at that stage but I don’t think he lost much as he played in 22 games in 2 seasons (11 goals).

Judd trade was
Pick 3, 4 (JK) and 20
For
Judd and pick 46
That’s a huge bounty. Two top 5 picks alone is massive and the Blues rated JK highly (or so they always say).

Judd was slightly older than Warner and starting to show some signs of being pretty banged up with OP etc. however was far more accomplished than Chad.

View attachment 2106016

Flyin’ has to go. Any time I look at trade hypotheticals he is the perfect player to unlock some more currency for us. Even a pick around 20 for him would give us some more flexibility with chasing other targets.

We will have enough young small forwards to give opportunities to (Dewar, Brockman, Long, Champion, Rawlinson) as well as Hewett likely playing more forward and Cripps hanging around for now.

I’m not sure he would want to move from the WA footy bubble to the VIC footy bubble. GC was linked to him at one point and have pick 20 and 26.

Ports forwards looked very flat the other night, could be partner up with Willie again using a shuffle of picks with whatever they get for Houston?

Could he slot in alongside Hayward and Papley and give us some leverage in a Warner deal?

GWS for Peatling with a bit extra coming our way if we pay his salary?

Or if he doesn’t want to leave WA then how about Freo give us 27 + Knobel/Reidy or work Erasmus into the deal?

There should be plenty of interest if he is willing to extend his career elsewhere.

They lived off draft pick 1-5/10 quality players playing 200-300 ganes which they paid for with picks in the 40s via the old F/S rule.

Good luck to them but that part wasn't good management.

They still would have done well, but I doubt it would have been 3 Premierships in 5 years.

Last edited:
That’s a huge bounty. Two top 5 picks alone is massive and the Blues rated JK highly (or so they always say).

Judd was slightly older than Warner and starting to show some signs of being pretty banged up with OP etc. however was far more accomplished than Chad.

Flyin’ has to go. Any time I look at trade hypotheticals he is the perfect player to unlock some more currency for us. Even a pick around 20 for him would give us some more flexibility with chasing other targets.

We will have enough young small forwards to give opportunities to (Dewar, Brockman, Long, Champion, Rawlinson) as well as Hewett likely playing more forward and Cripps hanging around for now.

I’m not sure he would want to move from the WA footy bubble to the VIC footy bubble. GC was linked to him at one point and have pick 20 and 26.

Ports forwards looked very flat the other night, could be partner up with Willie again using a shuffle of picks with whatever they get for Houston?

Could he slot in alongside Hayward and Papley and give us some leverage in a Warner deal?

GWS for Peatling with a bit extra coming our way if we pay his salary?

Or if he doesn’t want to leave WA then how about Freo give us 27 + Knobel/Reidy or work Erasmus into the deal?

There should be plenty of interest if he is willing to extend his career elsewhere.
Flying would be 100km off fitting into the Swans

Has a player ever been traded for 3, 13, 23 and 18?

Or is the Swans 18 coming to us with Warner?
3, 13, 23 for Chad and 18.

I would rate him as roughly pick 5 + 12-15 so that’s pretty close.

Ideally we would do something like 3 + 23 for 6 + 9 then trade 6 + 13 for Chad, retaining a top 10 pick for the best midfield slider.

Hopefully land a couple of end of 1R priority picks and trade Flyin for a pick in the 20s, then could package back into early teens if possible.

Warner + picks 9, 19, 20, 24ish

The problem is that Sydney will want players in trade as opposed to just picks given they are pushing for flags. It was a real stitch up by TB changing his preference from Sydney to Hawks as he would’ve been perfect in a trade.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back