List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:

3 and 23 probably not enough for Warner on their own.
I think 3 and 23 is around the mark. Usually it's one top 10 pick and another first for a top line mid. Given we're stumping up pick 3, it feels right the the second first rounder could be back a few spots to early second. If not, we'll have to trade 23 and pies 2nd (which I'm assuming we get from Hawks for TB along with Hawks R1) for a late first.

I'm not sure we'll get Warner though. The rumours are we'll trade pick 3 but still want 2 top 20 picks. That speaks to pick splitting and trading in B grade players. Getting Warner would clear us out of R1 and R2 in this draft.

I think 3 and 23 is around the mark. Usually it's one top 10 pick and another first for a top line mid. Given we're stumping up pick 3, it feels right the the second first rounder could be back a few spots to early second. If not, we'll have to trade 23 and pies 2nd (which I'm assuming we get from Hawks for TB along with Hawks R1) for a late first.

I'm not sure we'll get Warner though. The rumours are we'll trade pick 3 but still want 2 top 20 picks. That speaks to pick splitting and trading in B grade players. Getting Warner would clear us out of R1 and R2 in this draft.

Only if TB stays.

Would be on brand for West Coast to split pick 3 and we miss out on all 8 of the decent players in the draft.

I’m not sure it really is on brand for us (taking a player with an obvious fault in the 2nd round is much more our thing).

Split picks I can remember:

2013 - Sheed (clear win, based on names in between)
2017, for 2018 1r - massive win
2021 - 12-14 (Chesser).. Sinn (no loss), Hobbs (miss, but not hugely so)
2022 - #2 for Ginbey + Hewett. Wardlaw (noting his injury issues pre draft) the ? Here… Sheezel sadly wasn’t on our board, same with GWS. GWS would have found a way to go from 3 to 1 without us.

Really only twice have we split - 2013 & 2022.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I would say it is unders for a player his age and showing what he is.

But add to that he is a high performing mid on an AFL average wage or thereabouts. In a team at the pointy end who will no doubt be under salary cap pressure.

TK 2.0 this year IMO. Regardless of any requested trade, Warners value to the swans will be so much higher than the highest trade offer. They will keep him.

If we are keen, then improve our 2025 draft hand for when he is OOC.

I’m not sure it really is on brand for us (taking a player with an obvious fault in the 2nd round is much more our thing).

Split picks I can remember:

2013 - Sheed (clear win, based on names in between)
2017, for 2018 1r - massive win
2021 - 12-14 (Chesser).. Sinn (no loss), Hobbs (miss, but not hugely so)
2022 - #2 for Ginbey + Hewett. Wardlaw (noting his injury issues pre draft) the ? Here… Sheezel sadly wasn’t on our board, same with GWS. GWS would have found a way to go from 3 to 1 without us.

Really only twice have we split - 2013 & 2022.

I mean more so trading backwards in the draft. Traded back for Sheed, traded back for Chesser, traded back for Ginbey and Hewett.

In other news, Wreck it Ralph reckons Battle took LESS money to jump from the Saints to the Hawks...does that kill their Band 1 compo?

The problem is can Curtin actually play as an inside mid at AFL level? Does he have the pace / agility?
He's a third tall, preferably behind the ball where he has the game in front of him.

Draft Cody next year and pursue Dan if we're still short a body backward of centre.

I mean more so trading backwards in the draft. Traded back for Sheed, traded back for Chesser, traded back for Ginbey and Hewett.

In other news, Wreck it Ralph reckons Battle took LESS money to jump from the Saints to the Hawks...does that kill their Band 1 compo?

That is good news as band 2 feels more relevant for Battle. I am still sceptical that the AFL might manipulate the herbs and spices as St Blunders flagless stretch goes back to 1966.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem is can Curtin actually play as an inside mid at AFL level? Does he have the pace / agility?

The longer this goes on, the myth will only get larger. I have him penned in as J Cameron, McGovern and Dangermouse all in one body, cruelty caged by Adelaide. Free Curtin! end Slavery!

Chess at least is getting games under his belt which is what he needed.

Hopefully he can step it up

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I just don’t get why Victorians can’t campaign to bring him home like we do with Dev.

Maybe we can trick Richmond for Bolton. Former first rounder, fit, Victorian, runs all day. Hawks pick plus Chesser should do. He is the saviour.

Surely everyone has seen enough of Curtin on the ball and around stoppages to dispell the notion he can't play mid.

Finds space in traffic like Pendles basketball background. Slick sidestep and can baulk around players like nobody's business.

Knocks on his midfield craft is production. Pretty standard for any midfielder that's winning their own ball going from Colts to SANFL league.

Crom fans are worrying over nothing. You can see the AFL talent there. Just stop trying to play him as a KPP. Or don't, and he can come home for a 3rd rounder next year.

The longer this goes on, the myth will only get larger. I have him penned in as J Cameron, McGovern and Dangermouse all in one body, cruelty caged by Adelaide. Free Curtin! end Slavery!
I believe Monocle gave a good assessment that Curtin is more like Grant Birchall. Off the HBF and directing the play.

While Tigers are talking tough on Rioli, many would say pick 6 in itself is overs. Tigers will ask for more.

What is more? The Tigers should look at the Doggies R1 that Suns own which is pick 12. Not that Rioli is worth more than 6 but the Tigers be given the chance to buy it off the Suns. Suns need points this year and to move picks into next year. Suns likely to get Crow's F1 for Lukosius (not saying it is just this, only that Suns have said Lukosius trade must include a F1). I am sure the Norf 2nd PP which is currently pick 20 and owned by the Suns would deliver a F1 for them as well.

Pick 12 is worth 1,268 points. Tigers hold their own R2, Freo's R2, their own R3, our R3, Freo's R3 and a possible FA compensation say band 4 for Graham at start of R3. That is over 3,000 points which could used. Obviously not all and Tigers could agree to be the points mule additional picks into the draft for Suns to do on the night.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back