List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Won't matter to them, those motherfu*kers legit build teams through 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounders, heck even rookie drafts.

They won't be crippled for the next 10 years with the way they operate.

Absolute peak list management, talent identification and development.
And the ability to offer Victorian travel fixtures with country living .

Until they are made to play all their home games at kardynia Park it will be an unfair advantage

HUN write up today on Carlton stating their list needs

View attachment 2106016

Would we be able to meet 2 of their needs with Petch and Ryan with 2 years salary paid for pick 11?

I believe Carlton had interest in Petch a year or so ago.
Why would Carlton want Petch when they have Cottrell who's basically the same player.

HUN write up today on Carlton stating their list needs

View attachment 2106016

Would we be able to meet 2 of their needs with Petch and Ryan with 2 years salary paid for pick 11?

I believe Carlton had interest in Petch a year or so ago.
lol, not a chance. Petch isnt worth a thing

I love how all our supporters get up in arms about what Richmond are asking for Baker, yet we offer things like Ryan and Petch fir 11

Let's not get greedy.

I'd take just Darling leaving and pocketing that pick 40 from Norf even.

Flahn Rahn, Petch, Bailey, Rotham are all pipe dreams IMO.

Stuff that. If we are dreaming then its:

Liam Ryan and Petrucelle.

For Jack Carroll and Ashton Moir.

If Blues want salary cap help they throw in a F3rd depending on how much.etc.

Blue's load up for 2025.

Eagles look to the future.

While Tigers are talking tough on Rioli, many would say pick 6 in itself is overs. Tigers will ask for more.

What is more? The Tigers should look at the Doggies R1 that Suns own which is pick 12. Not that Rioli is worth more than 6 but the Tigers be given the chance to buy it off the Suns. Suns need points this year and to move picks into next year. Suns likely to get Crow's F1 for Lukosius (not saying it is just this, only that Suns have said Lukosius trade must include a F1). I am sure the Norf 2nd PP which is currently pick 20 and owned by the Suns would deliver a F1 for them as well.

Pick 12 is worth 1,268 points. Tigers hold their own R2, Freo's R2, their own R3, our R3, Freo's R3 and a possible FA compensation say band 4 for Graham at start of R3. That is over 3,000 points which could used. Obviously not all and Tigers could agree to be the points mule additional picks into the draft for Suns to do on the night.
Suns don't need points this draft. Take away their first 3 picks, and they still have ~1800 points in their 4 later picks. That's enough points to match a bid at pick 3.

Suns don't need points this draft. Take away their first 3 picks, and they still have ~1800 points in their 4 later picks. That's enough points to match a bid at pick 3.

This and GC are really only looking to secure 3 things out of this trade and draft period. Lombard and Rioli in and moving points into next years draft.

Suns will find list spots tight since the added list numbers back to par so all those late picks will only count if the Suns have spots open. Tigers will have loads of spots open

This and GC are really only looking to secure 3 things out of this trade and draft period. Lombard and Rioli in and moving points into next years draft.
That’s why Hawks first pick this year and next for TB and F2 makes sense. Can hopefully trade the Hawks F1 to the Bullies tied pick this year.

Picks 3, 12, 13* would be pretty decent hand. Maybe they can even throw over Atkins as a salary dump to help get us over the line from other teams trying to trade in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s why Hawks first pick this year and next for TB and F2 makes sense. Can hopefully trade the Hawks F1 to the Bullies tied pick this year.

Picks 3, 12, 13* would be pretty decent hand. Maybe they can even throw over Atkins as a salary dump to help get us over the line from other teams trying to trade in.

Hawthorn win this weekend and it’s getting close to their R1 and F1 with nothing going back for TB.

Maybe our F3 instead of F2

Hawthorn win this weekend and it’s getting close to their R1 and F1 with nothing going back for TB.

I think we’re already there to be honest. Top 5 league KPD contracted for 3 more years going to a contender on an easy 4 + 1 year deal on almost $1m a year.

Even if the Hawks lose, 13 and F1 for Barrass and F3 is the minimum we should accept.

Suns will find list spots tight since the added list numbers back to par so all those late picks will only count if the Suns have spots open. Tigers will have loads of spots open
Suns will go to the draft with the required 4 list spots, upgrade a couple of rookies after matching the bid on Lombard, and then re-sign out of contract Levi Casboult after the draft.

I think we’re already there to be honest. Top 5 league KPD contracted for 3 more years going to a contender on an easy 4 + 1 year deal on almost $1m a year.

Even if the Hawks lose, 13 and F1 for Barrass and F3 is the minimum we should accept.

agreed, it has to be a token pick back, if anything given the circumstances and the fact that Hawks with TB will be top 4. so two mid/late teen picks is hardly a kings ransom

If we’re looking at 13 and a likely pick around 15-18 next year I don’t see why there should be anything going back the other way.

Forget about the uncertainty of next year’s pick … obviously Hawthorn see themselves very much in the flag window given their trading strategy. That means they expect it to be a very late first rounder in a highly compromised draft.

f we get that F1. Eyes should be well and truely on the Doggies pick that’s owned by the Suns. Could be Sid, Berry and Travaglia draft haul. (Maybe even Davis at 23*)

I suppose if Richmond offer to pay Bakers salary for 2 years you’ll be happy to hand over pick 13?

They way our salary cap is looking we may have to pay overs to have them not pay any salary so we can meet the floor 🤣

(In case sarcasm isn’t obvious I am not in favour of paying overs or even media ‘fair’ value for Baker).

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back