List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we’re already there to be honest. Top 5 league KPD contracted for 3 more years going to a contender on an easy 4 + 1 year deal on almost $1m a year.

Even if the Hawks lose, 13 and F1 for Barrass and F3 is the minimum we should accept.
I hate the sweetener F3 going back scenario. This just eliminates a pick that in this draft could be a good late slider. They want Barrass they need to figure out a way that only costs us barrass.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

f we get that F1. Eyes should be well and truely on the Doggies pick that’s owned by the Suns. Could be Sid, Berry and Travaglia draft haul. (Maybe even Davis at 23*)
Barass trade for Hawks R1 + F1

Westcoast give- Hawks R1 + F1
Westcoast get- 6
GC give- 6 + Hawks R1
GC get- Rioli + Hawks F1
Rich give- Rioli
Rich get- Hawks R1

Richmond will want more for rioli, stiff shit life's not fair

I hate the sweetener F3 going back scenario. This just eliminates a pick that in this draft could be a good late slider. They want Barrass they need to figure out a way that only costs us barrass.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
Absolutely, if Hawks want a contracted player that can pay up. I dont remember Geelong doing any favours with us and tk. It should be Hawks R1 + f1 currently, if they make it the the gf they can chuck in a f4/player also.

lol. Love the difference in positioning. Apparently Bailey smith is uncontracted so dogs don’t have any leverage…

Tigers won’t be short changed on baker though who is in exactly the same position and a much worse player

lol. Love the difference in positioning. Apparently Bailey smith is uncontracted so dogs don’t have any leverage…

Tigers won’t be short changed on baker though who is in exactly the same position and a much worse player

Vic journos always seem quick to point out there’s two clubs in WA when a player asks to be traded back here but have no recollection there’s 10 Victorian clubs

There’s 8 other clubs Smith could be traded to

I'd love the Hawks' future first. Their success this year is based around systems, not elite talent. But systems can be worked out, elite talent less so. Would be great to have a pick in the teens this year and see them potentially fall away next year, giving us a strong hand to get Warner and another top 10 pick.

Their success this year is based around systems, not elite talent. But systems can be worked out, elite talent less so.
Great post, absolutely nailed it. As I said earlier R1 and F1 should now be the minimum. Agree with Wooshaaaa that we shouldn’t be doing any favours but if push comes to shove I’d be ok with giving our F3 back.

I'd love the Hawks' future first. Their success this year is based around systems, not elite talent. But systems can be worked out, elite talent less so. Would be great to have a pick in the teens this year and see them potentially fall away next year, giving us a strong hand to get Warner and another top 10 pick.

Don't forget a bottom 6 draw and unearned home final week 1.

Not that they haven't been good. Not intending to knock them. Can only beat who is put in front of them and the finals rules are the finals rules.

But those are they facts. We will see how they go Friday against the chokers.

Great post, absolutely nailed it. As I said earlier R1 and F1 should now be the minimum. Agree with Wooshaaaa that we shouldn’t be doing any favours but if push comes to shove I’d be ok with giving our F3 back.
or a swap of F2.

Hawks are riding high based on a really good system.

Good coaching groups will work this out a counter offence over the summer and there is a real chance that the hawks come back to earth next season. Still successful but maybe not top 4.

On the other hand, Mitchell might be that good as a coach. If that is the case, the Vic media will likely say that West Coach let another talent slip and we were too slow at promoting him. I expect no mention about the liaison with a certain Embley person that caused home front friction.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd take Smith over Rioli, Bolton or Baker. Hell, I'd take Smith over Barrass in some circumstances. Obviously some risk given behaviour and injury lowers his value but he has the highest ceiling of all players mentioned for this trade period.

Don't forget a bottom 6 draw and unearned home final week 1.

Not that they haven't been good. Not intending to knock them. Can only beat who is put in front of them and the finals rules are the finals rules.

But those are they facts. We will see how they go Friday against the chokers.
Conversely. they were 1-6 to start the season, went 13-3 (2 of those loses were by 2 points and 1 point) to end the season, and have now won a final.

Maybe they are just good.

or a swap of F2.

Hawks are riding high based on a really good system.

Good coaching groups will work this out a counter offence over the summer and there is a real chance that the hawks come back to earth next season. Still successful but maybe not top 4.

On the other hand, Mitchell might be that good as a coach. If that is the case, the Vic media will likely say that West Coach let another talent slip and we were too slow at promoting him. I expect no mention about the liaison with a certain Embley person that caused home front friction.

I'm angling on trying to get a future first from them as well because at some point a team's gonna figure them out and the league will catch on on how to close them down, coupled with a tougher draw it would be a pretty handy pick. Not that I think they'll miss the 8 next year.

Bolton is on 1.1mill according to the rich list.

How are Freo going to afford that? They have a lot of players on big coin.

Not only that, BUT then they're getting Warner as well, in addition to re-signing Brayshaw, Serong, Darcy, Luke Jackson, their captain and backline. I didn't know the salary cap was jumping up millions of dollars.

Conversely. they were 1-6 to start the season, went 13-3 (2 of those loses were by 2 points and 1 point) to end the season, and have now won a final.

Maybe they are just good.

Didn’t say they weren’t.

But 11 wins v bottom 8 sides in that group. Only two outside Vic or Tas, v 16th and 15th.

Wins v Top 8 were Blues (with a lot of injuries that got worse during that game, although Hawks were Cleary all over them) and Lions at Marvel (good win)

So certainly not horrible. But very rarely do genuine premiership form lines not involve beating top 4 teams interstate.

They have their chance to do it twice in a row here and good on them for putting themselves in that position.

Not only that, BUT then they're getting Warner as well, in addition to re-signing Brayshaw, Serong, Darcy, Luke Jackson, their captain and backline. I didn't know the salary cap was jumping up millions of dollars.
Or quality players willing to be paid unders just to be playing for Freo.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back