List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Bolton is miles ahead of bailey smith.

Based on simply watching I agree with you.

However stats comparison (career averages) surprised me.

Smith is 2 years younger, career averages leads or is within 10% on almost everything (Goals, marks I50, 1%, bounces, Centre clearances - the outliers).

Averages 5 more disposals per game, better efficiency, equal on contested possessions (surprised me), more clearances (less CC as above), more R50’s, equal I50’s.

Smith IMO is worth probably similar to TB (5-10 range pick, or multiples if something that high can’t be offered).

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Based on simply watching I agree with you.

However stats comparison (career averages) surprised me.

Smith is 2 years younger, career averages leads or is within 10% on almost everything (Goals, marks I50, 1%, bounces, Centre clearances - the outliers).

Averages 5 more disposals per game, better efficiency, equal on contested possessions (surprised me), more clearances (less CC as above), more R50’s, equal I50’s.

Smith IMO is worth probably similar to TB (5-10 range pick, or multiples if something that high can’t be offered).

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Career average probably isnt the best way to compare what they are worth now. Bailey Smith started his career very well but has completely stagnated. Boltons AFL player rating of 15.1 last year playing only 50% in the middle is extremely extremely good. When Smith played in the middle in 2022 his rating was only 11.7. Not to mention Smith hasnt played at an above average level for two years.

Not only that, BUT then they're getting Warner as well, in addition to re-signing Brayshaw, Serong, Darcy, Luke Jackson, their captain and backline. I didn't know the salary cap was jumping up millions of dollars.
If Freo get Bolton this off season, it reduces their ability to attract Warner on decent money next year. That means less competition for us to nab next year. The biggest threat though will be Chad staying in Sydney.

If Freo get Bolton this off season, it reduces their ability to attract Warner on decent money next year. That means less competition for us to nab next year. The biggest threat though will be Chad staying in Sydney.
Freo are still very young. A lot of players on not much coin, with players also at the upper end.

Their key will be moving on some like Darcy in the next year or so, to open up space to retain their upcoming generation.

Having said that, go all in now, they could win a flag in the next two years if they go hard, and given their history it'd be worth it for them.

Was he on our rookie list ?
England was a rookie and was very skinny and very outside when we drafted him.

He has taken a few years since being rookied to find his level of form.

Bailey Rogers is the player we should have taken from Claremont - but he was not the right sort for the Pieman. Rogers is an inside bull, - hard at the contest and has decent disposal. I did suggest to Bond that he be looked at but ... The rest is history.

Last edited:
Great post, absolutely nailed it. As I said earlier R1 and F1 should now be the minimum. Agree with Wooshaaaa that we shouldn’t be doing any favours but if push comes to shove I’d be ok with giving our F3 back.
Barrass and 23 for

Hawks 1st + F1 + 30 .

Instead of giving back a F3 they slide up 7 spots in the 2nd round .

In an even draft the difference between pick 30 and 37 ?

Not only that, BUT then they're getting Warner as well, in addition to re-signing Brayshaw, Serong, Darcy, Luke Jackson, their captain and backline. I didn't know the salary cap was jumping up millions of dollars.

It kinda is/has due to the new CBA covering 2023 to 2027 that was only signed off late last year

In 2022, the salary cap was $13,540,000 which will increase to $18,291,252 in 2027 which is an overall increase of $4,751,252 which includes a single year jump of nearly $2m from 2024 to 2025

So there’s a massive amount of money flowing to players that clubs have to spend due to the 95% floor

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It kinda is/has due to the new CBA covering 2023 to 2027 that was only signed off late last year

In 2022, the salary cap was $13,540,000 which will increase to $18,291,252 in 2027 which is an overall increase of $4,751,252 which includes a single year jump of nearly $2m from 2024 to 2025

So there’s a massive amount of money flowing to players that clubs have to spend due to the 95% floor

WCE were only 1 of 2 clubs who didnt have all players signed to contracts that raised in line with the salary cap. I can find out the other but from memory it wasn't Freo.

Barrass and 23 for

Hawks 1st + F1 + 30 .

Instead of giving back a F3 they slide up 7 spots in the 2nd round .

In an even draft the difference between pick 30 and 37 ?
Would rather our F2 than 23 but could be the difference between Hawks pulling the trigger and not pulling the trigger.

Pick 30 sits comfortably in the 3rd tier of tier of draft talent IMO (but towards the back end), with 37 being roughly the start of the next group but there may still be some sliders there

Would rather our F2 than 23 but could be the difference between Hawks pulling the trigger and not pulling the trigger.

Pick 30 sits comfortably in the 3rd tier of tier of draft talent IMO (but towards the back end), with 37 being roughly the start of the next group but there may still be some sliders there
I'd hope westcoast paying the remaining salary would be the deal breaker to facilitate the best draft pick as opposed to sending 23 back.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back