List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
5th round pick for baker, after all tigers want him off their books.

It's a lot, but we got Rawlinson in the rookie draft and also clay hall, so the deal is basically neutralized.

Go post this exact thing on that flogs insta/twitter and whatever ever other bullshit account please.

From Fox Footy:

BARRASS TRADE DETAILS REVEALED

West Coast Eagles superstar Tom Barrass has requested a trade to Hawthorn, but how will a deal get done?

According to the Herald Sun’s Jay Clark, Hawthorn will need to give up two first round picks to secure the star Eagles defender.

“They want two first round picks the Eagles. I know that sounds like a lot for a 28-year-old key defender, he’s going to be 29 by the start of next season, but the Hawks are in a tricky position here for two reasons,” Clark told Fox Footy’s Midweek Tackle.

“A, he’s contracted which gives West Coast the upper hand and B, because of the Hawks’ rise their first-round picks keep shuffling back. By the time we get the Academy picks, the father-son, the free agency compensation, that could slide right back to 18, 19, 20 plus potentially,” he said.

“That on its own we know is not going to satisfy West Coast for Tom Barrass who is one of the best key defenders in the competition.

“This is what’s going to happen. West Coast is going to ask for two first round picks. The Hawks’ first this year and their first next year and then potentially give a second round back. Hawthorn’s first round pick next year essentially becomes West Coast’s second round pick which will be early in the 20s, a bit of a pick slide but the part which will irk Hawthorn fans and Hawthorn list management chiefs is two first round picks, that’s a lot on the surface. Optically that’s good for West Coast because he’s a contracted player.”

Herald Sun journalist Jon Ralph though the trade was too much from a Hawthorn perspective.

“It’s too much because West Coast want him off their books. They want to get into the draft early on and Hawthorn’s desperate for him and they’ve got players like Calsher Dear in the 50s, Nick Watson’s going to be a gun, and they brought in players like Ginnivan and that deal itself is going to neutralize,” he said.

“So, both sides will have leverage, if you’re Hawthorn you’re getting that deal done because as much as we all love Sam Frost, you’re bringing in this interceptor that turns you into an even better and maybe the best defence in the competition.”

xxxxxxx

Please somebody translate what the hell Jon Ralph is talking about there?

That’s just confusing.

It’s too much for Hawthorn to pay because the Eagles ‘want him off their books’? - something pretty much only he has now suggested surely? I think the Eagles are happy with Barrass on the books on the contract he signed, just not on a longer, more expensive contract, which they are well within their rights to do, given it has 3 more years to run.

Hawthorn are desperate for him because they’ve got Calsher Dear and Nick Watson and…Ginnivan? and that will ‘neutralize’ the deal? What does that mean?

It’s too much but they will do it because they’ve drafted well (I think?)…. but also both sides have leverage?

Using the Richmond supporting journalists logic Richmond must also be desperate to get Rioli off their books so GC should just offer their 2nd round pick.

They shelled out for Daniel Curtin.

They’d be backing themselves to get better (they’ll think finals) and North to get not that much better so it’s not really a massive gamble if they think he is absolutely their guy.

Plus has to be worth Norths time.
Huh? They took Curtin at their normal pick, they didn't 'shell' out for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From Fox Footy:

BARRASS TRADE DETAILS REVEALED

West Coast Eagles superstar Tom Barrass has requested a trade to Hawthorn, but how will a deal get done?

According to the Herald Sun’s Jay Clark, Hawthorn will need to give up two first round picks to secure the star Eagles defender.

“They want two first round picks the Eagles. I know that sounds like a lot for a 28-year-old key defender, he’s going to be 29 by the start of next season, but the Hawks are in a tricky position here for two reasons,” Clark told Fox Footy’s Midweek Tackle.

“A, he’s contracted which gives West Coast the upper hand and B, because of the Hawks’ rise their first-round picks keep shuffling back. By the time we get the Academy picks, the father-son, the free agency compensation, that could slide right back to 18, 19, 20 plus potentially,” he said.

“That on its own we know is not going to satisfy West Coast for Tom Barrass who is one of the best key defenders in the competition.

“This is what’s going to happen. West Coast is going to ask for two first round picks. The Hawks’ first this year and their first next year and then potentially give a second round back. Hawthorn’s first round pick next year essentially becomes West Coast’s second round pick which will be early in the 20s, a bit of a pick slide but the part which will irk Hawthorn fans and Hawthorn list management chiefs is two first round picks, that’s a lot on the surface. Optically that’s good for West Coast because he’s a contracted player.”

Herald Sun journalist Jon Ralph though the trade was too much from a Hawthorn perspective.

“It’s too much because West Coast want him off their books. They want to get into the draft early on and Hawthorn’s desperate for him and they’ve got players like Calsher Dear in the 50s, Nick Watson’s going to be a gun, and they brought in players like Ginnivan and that deal itself is going to neutralize,” he said.

“So, both sides will have leverage, if you’re Hawthorn you’re getting that deal done because as much as we all love Sam Frost, you’re bringing in this interceptor that turns you into an even better and maybe the best defence in the competition.”

xxxxxxx

Please somebody translate what the hell Jon Ralph is talking about there?

That’s just confusing.

It’s too much for Hawthorn to pay because the Eagles ‘want him off their books’? - something pretty much only he has now suggested surely? I think the Eagles are happy with Barrass on the books on the contract he signed, just not on a longer, more expensive contract, which they are well within their rights to do, given it has 3 more years to run.

Hawthorn are desperate for him because they’ve got Calsher Dear and Nick Watson and…Ginnivan? and that will ‘neutralize’ the deal? What does that mean?

It’s too much but they will do it because they’ve drafted well (I think?)…. but also both sides have leverage?

Article link

Pretty much as predicted. We can say we got 2 1sts, they can say they gave up a late 1st and (what should be) a minor pick swap.

The Smith/Cotton On/Geelong stuff at the start of that article is interesting. I'm sure there's nothing to see however....

13/15 + 30 for Barrass (Hawthorn)

Baker + 10 + 21 + 39 for 3 and 30 (Richmond)

48 for Darling (North)

Use 48 on Champion bid, take 10, 13/15, 21, 23, 39 to draft

Just a quick guess?
You're just trolling at this stage. Not even subtle trolling either.

Taking a F1 from the hawks will always be a risk but sometimes that risk can equal reward. Seems that most think the Hawks are the finished product and will just continue to rise. I’m not so sure that’s an absolute given.

They will receive a tougher draw for one.

Strategy coaches will go to work on there game plan over the off season. Usually someone finds a way to neutralise a young side. It may take a month or two into the season for a side to show how it’s done, but once it happens it could become a lot harder for the Hawks.

They are really in form as a side currently but form can come a go. Improvement on what they have shown this year isn’t necessarily a given. Lots can change in a 12 month period. Winning premierships is tough and this is a tough competition for all clubs. Freo were top 4 in round 19 and talking dirty…..

The Pies this year are the perfect example. One of my Collingwood mates was talking back to back only several months ago. He’s pretty quiet currently. Things can change quickly.

The Hawks won 14 games this year. 12 games and you miss the 8. 11 wins and it’s pick 6. If they dropped off in form slightly, have a tougher draw and sides go to work on there game plan…….

It could just as easily be a pick in the 8-12 range which would look pretty decent.

EAGLES WANT TWO FIRST ROUNDERS!!!

I like how this stupid headline is constantly banded around for Barrass like we're taking the piss and absolutely "ripping off" Hawk's.

When the reality is those "firsts" are barely going to be firsts to begin with. Certainly not top end selections.

This year's pick is what, 14-18 now? Whilst next year's first could be anywhere from 14-18 again given Hawthorns likely trajectory. Meanwhile we're apparently handing over our F2 in this scenario, which could be around pick 20.

So what, pick 14-18 plus a downgrade of their draft pick next year by 6 odd places, for a contracted vice captain in Tom Barrass?

Only way it doesn't work out for Hawthorn is if they wet the bed next year and buck the trend of what everyone thinks and miss finals. Which is even more unlikely with Barrass in their side.

It's a pretty flaccid trade for WCE if you ask me.

This year's pick is what, 14-18 now? Whilst next year's first could be anywhere from 14-18 again given Hawthorns likely trajectory. Meanwhile we're apparently handing over our F2 in this scenario, which could be around pick 20.

So what, pick 14-18 plus a downgrade of their draft pick next year by 6 odd places, for a contracted vice captain in Tom Barrass?
Our 2nd round pick last year as the wooden spooners was pushed out to 30.

You wouldn't rule out something like that happening to our F2 even without PP's.

I just don't see how we don't involve players in the Barrass trade. Hawks don't have the draft capital.

I don't know the players well enough but a Henry Hustwaite or Sam Butler would be worth a look in a deal. They are the extra 2nd rounders that makes it work.

Barrass + future 2nd for 1st Rounder (15-20) + Future 1st + Hustwaite.

Won’t Adelaide just trade up to 2 and grab him before us anyway?

4 and F1 for 2 and F2?
North and Richmond trade more likely imo. If the Tigers want to get up to the top 3 to pair FOS and Jagga.

Not sure the Crows would have the extra assets to get it done if they are chasing Luko and ANB as well.

Richmond 2 (FOS/Jagga)and 22
For
North 6 (Trainor) and 10 (Armstrong/ Shanahan or Berry)

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back