List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Can anyone here inform me on why West Coast are offering Jack Graham a 4 year deal?

I though we want to remove spuds from our list????

What they hell can Graham offer us?

Can anyone here inform me on why West Coast are offering Jack Graham a 4 year deal?

A veteran hard body that has 3-4 years on Yeo, Kelly and Sheed?

A capable player that can play an assigned role?

I agree, 4 is a lot, but 4 year deals aren’t really 4 year deals anymore are they?

Based on current trends, we are lucky he’s not signed until the Brisbane Olympics.

Not my first choice. Be he's free (in terms of not giving up picks) and a competent, AFL quality (even if back end of best 22 in a good team) level of play, who can play a specific role (defensive midfielder) that we are missing.

Have you seen who have been getting games for us?

Not my first choice. Be he's free (in terms of not giving up picks) and a competent, AFL quality (even if back end of best 22 in a good team) level of play, who can play a specific role (defensive midfielder) that we are missing.

You make a fair point

That Jack Carroll highlight vid was pretty decent tbh.

Odd player, strange gait, but penetrating left foot and appeared to be a good combo of inside/outside.

Wouldn't kick up much of a fuss parting ways with our 4th rounder (59) to get him. OOC from my understanding and with more responsibility and game time it wouldn't be surprising to see him continue his upwards trajectory.

Carroll, Dev, certainly helps our list profile.

1726102566428.png

Yep… pretty much

This board: we only want star players and those who are top 15 in our side so absolutely improve us

Also this board: why don’t we defend… it is so easy to score against us

We lack stars, and will draft for them, but we also lack a number of role players who will do the grunt work, essentially getting the ball into the hands of those stars (via defence, HBG’s, etc).

That is what Graham, Baker, Dev offer. People can rate them in order of capability, cost, etc - but we 100% lack players with their attributes.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yep… pretty much

This board: we only want star players and those who are top 15 in our side so absolutely improve us

We lack stars, and will draft for them, but we also lack a number of role players who will do the grunt work, essentially getting the ball into the hands of those stars (via defence, HBG’s, etc).

That is what Graham, Baker, Dev offer. People can rate them in order of capability, cost, etc - but we 100% lack players with their attributes.

Our favourite centre square midfield is Reid, Kelly and Yeo. Yeo is the only one with an ounce of defensive pressure at this stage, but he's also our best at contesting the ball. Our backups are basically Ginbey (who looks to be moving back), Hewett (who hasn't played for 18 months and is attacking minded), then a bunch of rubbish/not ready young players.

I think we can find a role for Graham, Baker, Dev

Why wouldnt we take Richmonds spuds & delay our rebuild. Its the way WCE role.
If you had your way we'd have a squad of 18/19 yr old's only.

We requires some hardened defensive players, none of which are on our list. And it doesn't cost any draft capital.

Seems an easy choice for me, if elects to come over.

If we can somehow bring in Peatling, Garcia and Carroll (heck I'd be stoked with 2 out of the 3) I think that would go a long way to enhancing our rebuild.

Parfitt a perfect age and profile for us as well as a FA.

These type of moves would also allow us to be a bit more speculative on our pick 3 whether we use it or trade it to get some more top 20 draft hits.

It's also why we need to be trying to get a priority package from the AFL, those must be traded future 2nd and 3rd round picks can be used on those first three players (plus our own future picks)

If we were to get Peatling, then would we ditch the idea of getting Graham as both are defensive minded mids but Peatling is younger, bigger and quicker?
Need a few defensive minded mids. Peatling, Garcia and Dev maybe they move on from Graham. Sounds like Graham more likely to stay now but time will tell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep… pretty much

100%

That's why Garcia is my preference. He is very good in the close contest getting that loose ball and dishing it out.

THAT'S what Harley, Hewett, Kelly and pick 3 need for support. And a defensive mid to tackle and harrass.

If we were to get Peatling, then would we ditch the idea of getting Graham as both are defensive minded mids but Peatling is younger, bigger and quicker?

No way we get Peatling. He has way too much interest from better sides in Victoria. Why would he select us. We had some hope when he was struggling to get a game but now the cat is out of the bag with other clubs.

If we do get a Premiership, hard working, tough player for a bag of chips who can instill a bit of intestinal fortitude into the group............can we just wait and see how he goes before bagging him and the club for picking him up.

With the way the past few seasons have gone anything slightly positive is a win.

No way we get Peatling. He has way too much interest from better sides in Victoria. Why would he select us. We had some hope when he was struggling to get a game but now the cat is out of the bag with other clubs.

Money.
We can offer him a better financial package and an exciting young midfield.

If after all is said and done we staring at a big wad of cash is 6 year 6 mill deal for Perryman that big of a issue?

At some point we gotta make a bloody move that isnt 2 Richmond nobodies

It does hurt the culture though when 1 guy is massively overpaid (cue the TK, Darling, Gaff convo - but when the contracts were done the $ was reasonable. Contract terms maybe too long, but yeah).

What I’d prefer we do, is $800k x 6 (still more than others), and use the $200k (plus money freed up from Darling and TB) to pay out a couple of contracted guys.

That creates space for more FA’s, draftees, etc. It may not be the best use of cap, but high turnover (4/5 trades + FA plus 5/6 draftees) will benefit us mid/long term.

It does hurt the culture though when 1 guy is massively overpaid (cue the TK, Darling, Gaff convo - but when the contracts were done the $ was reasonable. Contract terms maybe too long, but yeah).

What I’d prefer we do, is $800k x 6 (still more than others), and use the $200k (plus money freed up from Darling and TB) to pay out a couple of contracted guys.

That creates space for more FA’s, draftees, etc. It may not be the best use of cap, but high turnover (4/5 trades + FA plus 5/6 draftees) will benefit us mid/long term.

It’s not ideal but I think our culture is poor already. Players pick and choose when they put in an effort.

If we have to pay more to get guys in who can change that culture it’ll be worthwhile.

The draft is so interesting this year.

All the top end mids are relatively even but all have slight question marks too.

Here's how I'd currently rank the options available to us. I think Levi Ashcroft would be my number 1 (if he was available).

1. Jagga
2. Reid
3. Draper / Langford
4. Lalor
5. FOS / Smilie

I think Jagga's production is just too hard to ignore. Pure midfield pig. Only worry is his size.

With Jagga likely gone at 3, Murphy Reid is the one I wish we'd be able to pick up. Though can't see it unless he has a change of heart about leaving Victoria.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back