List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Be patient ThePuma #9 , I do know that we are actually trying to get some decent things done, but its still all very early in the whole process of, first the enquiry and then secondly the negotiating.

There is always a bit of a domino effect with some of these signings and player movements.

There are plenty of feelers out there for sure, but given that there are still six teams playing finals it's difficult to get any clarity on just who is genuine and who is doing an Oliver Twist.

And a few of those six teams hold some very significant pieces, in the Trade jigsaw puzzle.

We fans and plebs are always after instantaneous news on the developments.

Expecting some news at this point in time is akin to being flustered on the second night of the Trade Period, disappointed that no big trades have been done yet.

It's always difficult to dislodge quality players from their current Clubs, but that does not mean that we aren't trying.

Very true Monocle. I am certainly crowing very early in the piece, no doubt about it however i will depart with one final take.

If our new list management team can't produce more than a broken down ruckman who can't stay on the park and overpaying for a wayward small forward who couldn't even hit the score board then the bar wasn't set low enough and that is a scary thought indeed.

I truly hope for all of our sakes their hard work bears fruit.

Last edited:
Yeah, but people froth about draft selections also.

2nd rounders can end up AA or elite players, or delist fodder within a couple of years.

At the right price, a known quantity who incrementally improves the side immediately is the value play.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
the key there is the right price, which imo at this point for us should be free or close to it. yeah we've picked a lot of duds but we also didn't take a top 10 pick for over a decade. people moan about chess or ruebs not coming on in the midfield on one hand and then want to trade out 3 for baker and a pick with a good chance to slide out of the top echelon of prospects again.
luckily we have some absolute spuds in the squad that shouldn't be hard to upgrade relatively cheaply.

For everyone concerned about our ruck situation. They're just not that important

Try telling that to the WCE midfielders that roved to Nic Nat. Just being able to set up knowing that you'll win the contest more than half the time changes a defensive mindset to an offensive one and vice versa for the opposition midfielders. it makes a huge difference. You also need to look at what is currently happening with the opposition ruckmen around the ground.
Agreed. There’s some very good WA options likely to be there after pick 40 or even slip through to the rookie draft and Boxshall is one of them. I also like Dennis and Artemis so I’d love to get some picks in that range. Offer Bailey up with Darling and some salary and see if we can get all three of Norf’s later picks.

*provided we have a suitable ruck depth replacement.
Thinking Lowball.... why not, given the talk is NM are looking to add experience to its list, do something radical like pay 50% of JD's Salary and try to swap our future first (which is likely to be bottom 3 again) for their pick 2. Would give us 2 & 3 in the draft and NM could go back to the draft with 2 early picks in 25. Basically NM get JD for very little...

Thinking Lowball.... why not, given the talk is NM are looking to add experience to its list, do something radical like pay 50% of JD's Salary and try to swap our future first (which is likely to be bottom 3 again) for their pick 2. Would give us 2 & 3 in the draft and NM could go back to the draft with 2 early picks in 25. Basically NM get JD for very little..
Admire your optimism in using JD to flip our F1 into pick 2 but doubt NM go for that. Although whilst the depth of this draft is the best in years, the top end of both last year’s and next year’s draft looks comfortably better than this year so a likely top 3 pick is possibly worth putting a high value on.

He'd be comfortably around 197cm no shoes, 200cm with shoes.

I was talking to him, he was standing next to shelving which is exactly 190cm high. (Same height as me roughly so I had good perspective)
He cleared it by 10cm in shoes.
I stood next to Mcgovern at a bakery in jan 2019 im 184 . He looked about 191 not much height difference to me .

I stood next to Mcgovern at a bakery in jan 2019 im 184 . He looked about 191 not much height difference to me .

What would the height difference have been if you took your high heels off

Can anyone summarize which teams need points in this draft and which teams need points for next year?

Apart from Lombard and Kako (Champion late) I haven’t heard many academy mentions this year, and the only F/S (apart from Ashcroft) are Camporeale twins who will be later? A couple of F/S for us next year but also late?

Lots of talk that next year is Northern Academy heavy but not sure which teams specifically. May influence some of our trade strategies.

briztoon ?

Try telling that to the WCE midfielders that roved to Nic Nat. Just being able to set up knowing that you'll win the contest more than half the time changes a defensive mindset to an offensive one and vice versa for the opposition midfielders. it makes a huge difference. You also need to look at what is currently happening with the opposition ruckmen around the ground.

That's besides the point though. Nic was something exceptional. And even then, our midfields best ever month in the last 10 years was the 2018 finals series when Nic wasnt there (this isn't a criticism of Nic in any way btw)

I'm not saying you don't prefer a good ruckman if you can get one cheap, they're just not that important (at least in terms of draft captial or cap space) when building a list. The evidence of the last 15 years or so of flag winning teams is fairly overwhelming.

This is the part that makes me question him, where he wants to go.
Surely if he really wanted to get back to Perth and play for West Coast he would have done it last year instead of re-signing for 2 more years. Sounds very confused as to where he wants to be or maybe he just felt loyalty to stay at Brissy.

Thought by now though he would be a pretty established player wherever he went, if memory serves me right he did alright in his draft year and was the captain of the WA state side.

Oh well hopefully he comes good and performs up to his potential, in the Blue and Gold of course 😁😁
His girlfriend had an anaphylactic reaction at the club dinner, reportedly life threatening, and the club doctors who were there apparently saved her life. This is no exaggeration, this is the story told by our coach and Dev himself. He felt he owed the club after this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any actual intel that Dev wants out and actually wants to go to the Eagles.

It’s a trade that suits all parties. Should’ve happened last year but definitely should happen this year.

Weird there has been 0 reports about it besides the occasional link and that’s only from Journos putting 2 and 2 together.

Eagles have played their cards very close to their chest this year.
SFA gets out of our club. Certainly not shared publicly from those that do hear a little.

I WCE_phil was involved in the club discussions this week, then he should have the inside word.

Can anyone summarize which teams need points in this draft and which teams need points for next year?

Apart from Lombard and Kako (Champion late) I haven’t heard many academy mentions this year, and the only F/S (apart from Ashcroft) are Camporeale twins who will be later? A couple of F/S for us next year but also late?

Lots of talk that next year is Northern Academy heavy but not sure which teams specifically. May influence some of our trade strategies.

briztoon ?
Off the top of my head,

Brisbane's very short in this year's points expect them to trade hard or sell their first to the highest bidder. I suspect Richmond will offload all their junk picks to Brisbane. Expect rich and bris to do some dodgy shit

Carlton have enough to do what they want

GC will need a heap of pts for next year and are sitting comfortably atm any of their firsts are available to be sold to the highest bidder id imagine. Prob get an f1 out of lukosious

Malakai is a lock for this year. West coast could do with a few f3s or f4s to bring in a few boys next year

I'd assume Ess will trade back in this year's draft, just a hunch

Unaware of the Sydney demographic.

All means jack shit for next year if afl tighten their bidding rules (possible)

briztoon ?
Every kid mentioned below is in the 46 player AFL U17 Futures squad, to play in the curtain raiser on GF day.

GC have 4 potential first round kids next year. Uwland is probably a top 10 kid. GC won't be able to match all 4 kids, but should be able to get the two they want.

Lions also have a potential top 10 kid. We'll most definitely need points. (We also have potentially 3 other kids who should be drafted in later rounds that aren't in the AFL futures squad. Maybe a couple more as well.)

Swans potentially have one first round kid and a second round kid.

Freo have Toby Whan as an NGA kid, he's the highest rated of WA club tied kids. Banfield, Walley and Evans are a bit further back for you guys.

Melbourne have Kalani White as a father son, but he's further back in the draft. He's also in GC's academy.

Collingwood have Thomas McGuane as a father son, and he's been very good playing the talent league this year.

Geelong have Ben Rongdit as an NGA kid.

Off the top of my head,

Brisbane's very short in this year's points expect them to trade hard or sell their first to the highest bidder. I suspect Richmond will offload all their junk picks to Brisbane. Expect rich and bris to do some dodgy shit

Carlton have enough to do what they want

GC will need a heap of pts for next year and are sitting comfortably atm any of their firsts are available to be sold to the highest bidder id imagine. Prob get an f1 out of lukosious

Malakai is a lock for this year. West coast could do with a few f3s or f4s to bring in a few boys next year

I'd assume Ess will trade back in this year's draft, just a hunch

Unaware of the Sydney demographic.

All means jack shit for next year if afl tighten their bidding rules (possible)

Thanks mate. Sydney are the interesting one, thought I saw somewhere that they had some academy boys next year which could give us some leverage with Warner. GWS less relevant for us now if Peatling is out of reach, but who knows until their season is done. Would love us to get on the GC gravy train of pick swaps but Tigers will definitely have the most ability to shuffle picks.

Might need the eyes checked mate...I had an exact reference item next to him to verify.
Plus being measured by laser myself at 189.4 a few weeks ago. (Medical shit)

He's 197 comfortably.

Maybe the ground was slightly uneven (or high heels)

Thanks mate. Sydney are the interesting one, thought I saw somewhere that they had some academy boys next year which could give us some leverage with Warner. GWS less relevant for us now if Peatling is out of reach, but who knows until their season is done. Would love us to get on the GC gravy train of pick swaps but Tigers will definitely have the most ability to shuffle picks.
I'd be keen on GC pick 6. Maybe 13 and Hawks f1 via barass trade could get it. We'd be competing with the rioli/Richmond trade though

Every kid mentioned below is in the 46 player AFL U17 Futures squad, to play in the curtain raiser on GF day.

GC have 4 potential first round kids next year. Uwland is probably a top 10 kid. GC won't be able to match all 4 kids, but should be able to get the two they want.

Lions also have a potential top 10 kid. We'll most definitely need points. (We also have potentially 3 other kids who should be drafted in later rounds that aren't in the AFL futures squad. Maybe a couple more as well.)

Swans potentially have one first round kid and a second round kid.

Freo have Toby Whan as an NGA kid, he's the highest rated of WA club tied kids. Banfield, Walley and Evans are a bit further back for you guys.

Melbourne have Kalani White as a father son, but he's further back in the draft. He's also in GC's academy.

Collingwood have Thomas McGuane as a father son, and he's been very good playing the talent league this year.

Geelong have Ben Rongdit as an NGA kid.

Cheers mate. Very interesting. So GC need to load up for next year. Lions may have their work cut out to secure Ashcroft mkII this year and get enough points for next year. If the Sydney boys end up as bolters it may open up the Warner trade a bit if they require more points.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back