List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
With pick 13, we still should get one of Travsglia, Lindsay, Berry or Tauru

Now to work on the sweetner

Pick 30
F2
F1 with F2 going back
Ward
Push for the Future First but when they refuse dig our heels in and ask for Pick 30. Next years draft will be so compromised a small upgrade on a pick means nothing. I'd prefer another quality player in this years draft.

Pick 13 and a F1 is more value than pick 9
Sure is, but for what it's worth I think Barrybran is trying to find a middle ground between pick 13 (what Hawthorn will likely want to pay) and pick 13 and Hawthorn's F1 (our alleged asking price).
When it's all said and done we might get pick 13 and their F1st, however, I think, on the balance of probabilities, that this won't be the eventual outcome.

Barrass for 13 and F1
3,13 for 6,9,10
F2 for GCS 26
Darling and salary for 40

6-Best mid
9-Travaglia
10-Lindsay
23-O’Farrell
26-Mraz
40-Johnson
59-Dennis
Rookie-Boxshall
Rookie-Artemis

Delist/Retire (9)
Jones, Gaff, Witherden, Rotham, Trew, LEdwards, Baker, Culley, Sheed (medical)

Sure is, but for what it's worth I think Barrybran is trying to find a middle ground between pick 13 (what Hawthorn will likely want to pay) and pick 13 and Hawthorn's F1 (our alleged asking price).
When it's all said and done we might get pick 13 and their F1st, however, I think, on the balance of probabilities, that this won't be the eventual outcome.
It's also a middle ground that allows Hawthorn to give up two firsts but get one back for themselves rather than running the gauntlet with giving us an F1 for our F2 and our fortunes changing. We would rather the two firsts of course.

I'd take that but doubt it will happen. They'd never get Bolton with pick 13.
They'd have to give up both picks - 13 + Hawthorn's F1. More likely they'd have to give up pick 10 and keep 13 for themselves.

As much as I dislike Port, I am supporting them tonight.

It makes me feel grubby
Feel the same, but any non-vic team is ok with me this time of year.
Not to mention the draft pick.
Was shouting at the TV and Port like it was an Eagles game.
As it turned out was a great finish, but they have a history, so their next game is a concern.

That's optimistic IMO.
I think we'd have to include pick 23 to at least make it ball park.
It’s very optimistic. If the brass insist on Baker then can add him and 23 to the trade.

Richmond will value picks less than usual so if they want to upgrade to pick 3 they can pay through the teeth. If not I’m very comfortable taking FOS, Jagga or Draper at 3 and no way am I trading it for a “fair” deal.

I think with Tom they win that game as was previously stated. He'd have been the best key defender on the park tonight. They could have left Sicily in defense and pushed Tom forward with his vice like hands, a concept which was beyond Simpson. Battle isn't in Tom's league, he was a free kick UFA, so they will pay the price for Tom I think. Pick 13 is clearly not enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit of an oxymoron post this one.

Our weakest link is Williams, so DON'T trade him? Okeydoke.

Fact is, it was pretty obvious he was totally lost as a forward when Flynn played. Any idiot could see that was going to happen.

When he rucks solo he plays his best footy but still battles out of his weight and makes spud oppo rucks look like prime Dean Cox. We can't allow it to continue.

Flynn has been incredibly disappointing, but Williams really has no long term future in this side IMO. Unless the club buries it's head in the sand and carries on conceding the ruck taps.

Then there's Barnetts development, gee whiz. Our rucks really are the worst part of our list right now, and that's saying something given it's been our pedestrian midfield for a long time.

To another club Williams has quite a good highlights package, he's an athletic specimen and gets his hands dirty. For a club with a better midfield, he could work, or a club backing themselves to get more out of him as a forward than we have.

He's most definitely worth something IMO.
So you would like to trade BWilliams and leave us with……….

Barrass for 13 and F1
3,13 for 6,9,10
F2 for GCS 26
Darling and salary for 40

6-Best mid
9-Travaglia
10-Lindsay
23-O’Farrell
26-Mraz
40-Johnson
59-Dennis
Rookie-Boxshall
Rookie-Artemis

Delist/Retire (9)
Jones, Gaff, Witherden, Rotham, Trew, LEdwards, Baker, Culley, Sheed (medical)
Not interested in Champ?

Not interested in Champ?
I am but not going to lie I’m not sure at what point I’d match a bid on him. Certainly wouldn’t want to use a pick before 35 and possibly 40 but if our 2R pick is 23 then our next one is 59 then it’s a no brainer.

Will really depend on where any Darling (or other potential 2R/early 3R) picks fall. I’d really be pushing North to get 40, 58 and 64 for Darling and either of BWilliams or Petch.

Just get Eastland to nominate and rookie list him. Similar age and height but can ruck and is better around the ground

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Eastland’s two years older, 2cm shorter and doesn’t have Williams’ leap.

I think we saw with the Strnadica experiment that the “just go get a wafl ruckman” is fraught because there’s actually a bit of a gap between the leagues.

While I do think the Hawks will win one within the next few years, I also agree with some on here that think they may inititially slide a little next year. And that's the last thing they'll be expecting too

Alot of the rise this year was on the back of gameplan, if they get a little worked out and with a top 6 draw a small slide is definitely not out of the question. Getting our hands on their F1 could be a very smart piece of business

If we can get an F3 or 40 this year for JD plus salary, and then sending that with TB for 13 + F1 I reckon that's a pretty big win.

Alternatively
13 + 30 for TB
40 for JD plus salary

Taking 3, 13, 23, 30, 40, 59 isn't too bad either

Working Baker in for anything more than a F2 or 23 just isn't worth it any way you look at it

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back