List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Saints would know they are getting this already its fair to say. Both clubs would have organised this and the VFL would have helped

If they knew it they wouldn't have thrown a last minute much larger deal at Battle when he had already agreed to join the Hawks.

Saints did that to turn his mind and force a larger Hawks offer. It didn't work.

Ok I read them as both 199cm. But yeah 2 years difference. 1 is clearly better than the other at wafl level. 1 is untried at afl level.
Strnadica had already failed at his first attempt at afl when we got him
Not sure that's a great comparison

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Who are you saying is better than the other at WAFL level?

Williams hasn’t played at WAFL level in years.

Eastland’s two years older, 2cm shorter and doesn’t have Williams’ leap.

I think we saw with the Strnadica experiment that the “just go get a wafl ruckman” is fraught because there’s actually a bit of a gap between the leagues.
As a stop gap, I thing Eastland would be better while we draft and develop someone better.

Sue...Eastland can't jump as high but he'd be far smarter, the hit outs he did win would go to adavange more and he'd be way better at body on body throw ins around the ground. And link up far more in general play.

I also think Brayden Crossley is a better player than he was before he snorted his AFL career away.
Seems to perform very well in big games too. He's a free shot capital wise and would make us instantly better.

I recon he'd kill for another shot at the big show and would be an absolute beast.
1726275763160.png

I think everyone is setting themselves up to be let down.

TB + F2
For
13 and F1

Is the most likely trade imo and fair.

Our F2 is highly likely to fall 19-22. Their F1 while expected to fall 13-18 can easily be a top 10 though. They are taking a risk with it.

What pick we can flip that F1 is the question? Possible Gettable picks for it

Suns 6 - No will be for Rioli

Dons 8- Possible if they think the Kako pick comes early with Tigers having so many picks but unlikely.

Dockers 10- Possible if they want to get picks for next year for Chad.

Suns 12- this is the most likely one. Hawks F1 get it done alone? Everyone is trying to get it apparently. I’d offer to take one of the players they want to get rid of to get it over the line (Hopefully Joel Jeffrey but might be an Atkins)

Pick 14- Richmond seem to be the logical buyer here but if Brissy can get points somewhere else and want to move into next years draft we are a chance. (Or Richmond want to spread their picks)

Pick 16- I hope not because this will be F1 for Baker done.
Keep it in case we are a chance for warner next season

With this new 1.5 mill freed up by Darling/Barrass going I feel like the clubs going to look to frontload the crap out of Waterman/Allens new deals and bank it for further down the line. Id be inclined to say goodbye to Callum Jamieson with some of that money also.

All talk of Sheed going should have ended now. Just no need for wasting money on it if Darling is off
The money is wasted regardless because he won't be playing, may as well get him off the list and have another spot free for mid season.

If Hawthorn are ever gonna have a drop off its next year after this years excitement

pick 13 and F1st for TB and F3rd would be great

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Would Nth and Sydney trade Parker for a swap of F2nds (comprised draft so it will be 30 down to 50….)

Then we do Darling for Sydney’s F2, and send that with TB for 13 + F1

We keep our draft hand intact, add a F1, and lose TB and Darling.

Sydney may want more, but similarly to Darling, even though 15-20 senior games next year is more likely than not at Nth, they are nearing the end so limited value.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If Hawthorn are ever gonna have a drop off its next year after this years excitement

Would enjoy death riding the Hawks next season holding their 1st pick.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who are you saying is better than the other at WAFL level?

Williams hasn’t played at WAFL level in years.
Yeah for some reason I thought he'd played some wafl recently. Let's face it he shouldve.
Do you think Eastland potentially could be a better afl player than Williams?
The fact that we've brought in guys to try to supplant him (even tho it hasn't panned out) means the powers that be are looking for someone who'll be able to be a competitive number 1 ruck

With this new 1.5 mill freed up by Darling/Barrass going I feel like the clubs going to look to frontload the crap out of Waterman/Allens new deals and bank it for further down the line. Id be inclined to say goodbye to Callum Jamieson with some of that money also.

All talk of Sheed going should have ended now. Just no need for wasting money on it if Darling is off
I'd rather pay sheed out than Jamieson. We're going to need a KPD at some stage of next season when gov or HEdwards break down

Was abut worried that Port not having a KPF that got holds of the Hawks might have cooled their ardour for TB, but Sicily fwd for a piece confirms they could use him and Kenny throwing a little fire on the hurt can’t not help.

If Tauru is gone I wonder if WC go with Shanahan with TB 1st and start him down back. We like Vic Country and you'd think he'd be close with Harley too.

Going off where we've recruited from recently and our needs, you'd think Xavier Lindsay, Tauru, Shanahan, Travaglia and Allan would be right up there for our 2nd pick

Was abut worried that Port not having a KPF that got holds of the Hawks might have cooled their ardour for TB, but Sicily fwd for a piece confirms they could use him and Kenny throwing a little fire on the hurt can’t not help.
TB would give them great flexibility. They can throw Sicily forward, Weddle can play wing or as a more offensive defender and frees up Scrimshaw too. Can see why they're so keen

Tunstill is another we should show interest in.

He has been develiping away on the fringe and like Dev will see the next draft crop of locals come in who will be ahead in there development.

Both shoukd leave for opportunity.

Talking picks in the 50's here. Lions need list spots and cash for others.
Tunstill (mid-forward) and Prior (defence) putting on a marking clinic in the VFL prelim final and pretty wet and windy conditions.

If Tauru is gone I wonder if WC go with Shanahan with TB 1st and start him down back. We like Vic Country and you'd think he'd be close with Harley too.
If you want a key defender James Barrat would be a far better option from Bendigo. He is a better contested mark and defender than Shanahan. Shanahan has better foot skills and is more dynamic, however.

Maybe Dev stayed for a VFL flag?

I’m sure it takes less to get accredited with a tackle in state league compared to AFL but 20d 11t at 3QT.

Should’ve slotted a goal from 15m out on the snap. Didn’t get any part of it and got marked in the square. We wouldn’t be bringing him in for his foot skills though.

Perfect sweeper for us.

Commentators pretty much saying they wonder if he will seek a trade and Eagles keen last year ect

Yeah for some reason I thought he'd played some wafl recently. Let's face it he shouldve.
Do you think Eastland potentially could be a better afl player than Williams?

I haven’t seen a lot of WAFL. But no, I don’t think a 27 year old WAFL player under 199cm could come in and be better than Williams.

I think they’d like to not have to rely on Williams as the number 1 ruck. That’s why they went and got Flynn. And he’s probably the most likely to take the spot if he can stay fit.

Other than that, if they want someone for round 1 2025 they’ll have to hit the merry go round again. Bryan, Soldo, Reeves, Reidy are some of the most likely candidates who could be looking for more opportunities.

History suggests you can’t just get a plug and play ruck from a state league. Even the current lead rucks who were drafted from a state league were early 20s and had to do a bit of a stint on an AFL list before they were ready - McInerney, Marshall … that’s it I think.

Other than that, if they want someone for round 1 2025 they’ll have to hit the merry go round again. Bryan, Soldo, Reeves, Reidy are some of the most likely candidates who could be looking for more opportunities.
Would love to get one of those three or Knobel.

Bryan especially.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back