List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:

I'd have a crack at 6 GC and 8 Ess, if we missed that I'd just keep 13 and the Hawks f1

Ideally
3- fos/langford/draper
6- lalor/travaglia

Happy with
3- fos/langford/draper
13- Lindsay/berry

Either way we will do very well
Reckon Bombers use 8, as will come before Kako bid.

Maybe Dev stayed for a VFL flag?

I’m sure it takes less to get accredited with a tackle in state league compared to AFL but 20d 11t at 3QT.

Should’ve slotted a goal from 15m out on the snap. Didn’t get any part of it and got marked in the square. We wouldn’t be bringing him in for his foot skills though.

Perfect sweeper for us.

Commentators pretty much saying they wonder if he will seek a trade and Eagles keen last year ect
Well said, he'd be the sweeper midfielder.
His kicking is quite awkward and poor but has very strong contested game. Use him to be dishing ball out to Harley, Hewitt.

I think TB + F2 for 13 + F1 is probably about right. If we can get it with out F3 then that's great. I think the Hawks will finish in the 3-6 range again which puts their pick at 13-16. If we finish in the bottom 2 with 5 wins or less then there is a high chance we will get some sort of assistance package similar to the Kangaroos 2 start of second round picks. If we don't then we have a higher pick anyway.

The salary cap is also going up by $2 million. This means there will possibly be 4-8 band 2 free agent compensation picks. Swapping our second rounder for the Hawks first might end up being an upgrade of 10+ picks.

Phantom draft for the first round assuming we get 13 as part of a Barrass trade and keep our picks. I suspect we’ll be choosing between FOS, Draper and Jagga at 3 and take whoever is left out of Travaglia, Lindsay and Berry at 13. I expect us to take the best KPD available at 23 assuming we don’t trade it for a 173cm imp with the leadership qualities.

Richmond are likely to have enough points for GCS pick 12 and Brisbane 1R assuming they don’t trade into next year, especially if they get band 3 compo for Graham.

1. RICH-Smith
  2. NM-Langford
  3. WCE-O’Sullivan
  4. ADEL-Draper
  5. MELB-Armstrong
  6. RICH-Lalor via GCS for Rioli
  7. STK-MReid
  8. STK-Smillie via FA for Battle
  9. ESS-Shanahan
  10. RICH-Trainor via FREO for Bolton
  11. RICH-JWhitlock via FREO via COLL Bolton
  12. CARL-Berry
  13. RICH-Lindsay via GCS via WB for points
  14. WCE-Travaglia via HAW for Barrass
  15. RICH-Hotton via BL points
  16. GWS-Allan
  17. RICH-MWhitlock via FREO via PA
  18. WBD-Moraes via GEEL for Smith
  19. SYD-Gross
  20. SYD-Tauru
  21. COLL-Faull via GCS for Noble
  22. GWS-Hynes via FA for Perryman
Where does our next pick fall? 2 or 3 after your last there?

Doubt GWS get compo that good for Haynes, I know he's on good coin but he's 32.
Battle one also interesting.

Personally I'd swap FOS for Draper, not sure Travaglia will last too us. Hopefully he does.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think TB + F2 for 13 + F1 is probably about right. If we can get it with out F3 then that's great. I think the Hawks will finish in the 3-6 range again which puts their pick at 13-16. If we finish in the bottom 2 with 5 wins or less then there is a high chance we will get some sort of assistance package similar to the Kangaroos 2 start of second round picks. If we don't then we have a higher pick anyway.

The salary cap is also going up by $2 million. This means there will possibly be 4-8 band 2 free agent compensation picks. Swapping our second rounder for the Hawks first might end up being an upgrade of 10+ picks.
When everyone was saying we’d finish bottom this year, I was adamant we wouldn’t. Now people are saying we’ll be bottom two next year despite finishing 16th with five wins this year? Gonna go early again and say won’t happen, don’t think we’ll be bottom three either. Richmond and North to finish bottom two, the wheels to fall off at least one other club.

When everyone was saying we’d finish bottom this year, I was adamant we wouldn’t. Now people are saying we’ll be bottom two next year despite finishing 16th with five wins this year? Gonna go early again and say won’t happen, don’t think we’ll be bottom three either. Richmond and North to finish bottom two, the wheels to fall off at least one other club.
I feel positive about out trade/draft approach this year (results pending of course). Ports list is interesting - some cream drafted but most of the list is cobbled together with drafted role players.

Last edited:
Where does our next pick fall? 2 or 3 after your last there?

Doubt GWS get compo that good for Haynes, I know he's on good coin but he's 32.
Battle one also interesting.

Personally I'd swap FOS for Draper, not sure Travaglia will last too us. Hopefully he does.
GWS pick Cooper Hynes (not Nick Haynes compo!) with Perryman band 2 compo. Assuming no other compo the next three picks go 23- Richmond, 24- North then 25- WCE. I expect Dodson, Oliver, Sims and O’Farrell to be in the discussion for those picks. Maybe also a bolter like Davis, Dattoli or Hannaford.

You’re probably right about Travaglia, Saints are very keen on him but I think it will be him or Lindsay, can’t see Carlton passing on Berry.

GWS pick Cooper Hynes (not Nick Haynes compo!) with Perryman band 2 compo. Assuming no other compo the next three picks go 23- Richmond, 24- North then 25- WCE. I expect Dodson, Oliver, Sims and O’Farrell to be in the discussion for those picks. Maybe also a bolter like Davis, Dattoli or Hannaford.

You’re probably right about Travaglia, Saints are very keen on him but I think it will be him or Lindsay, can’t see Carlton passing on Berry.
Hasn't Perryman come out and said he wants to stay? If he's not coming to us, next best result is him staying at GWS.
No compo pick. (Haynes won't get much. Greet player though. Really like him)

I quite like the look of Dodson from what I can find in the videos.
He looks to have very clean ands for a big guy, very few fumbles, even with ground balls, good vision by hand too and a frame that could get thick.

Hasn't Perryman come out and said he wants to stay? If he's not coming to us, next best result is him staying at GWS.
No compo pick. (Haynes won't get much. Greet player though. Really like him)

I quite like the look of Dodson from what I can find in the videos.
He looks to have very clean ands for a big guy, very few fumbles, even with ground balls, good vision by hand too and a frame that could get thick.
I suspect you’re thinking of Peatling. I think most expect Perryman to leave although not out of the question for him to stay but I reckon he would have announced if he was staying and is instead waiting for the season to finish before announcing his club.

Dodson is the best ruck in the draft but also gives me some Barnett vibes, although he didn’t play AFL last year and has still put himself into late 1R discussions. Huge upside but low floor too.

Turnstill looks a state level player. When the tempo lifted he was noticeably a step or two behind with decision making and in attempting disposals, got wrapped up a lot like Jako Nelson. How'd he go in AFL game? We should steer clear of that sort of player

Don't get my wrong I wasn't implying we will finish bottom 2. I was just saying that if we were to finish in the bottom 2 we will probably get some sort of assistance which will push our F2 back. If we finish 14th it would be pick 23 before being pushed back from FA compo which could be a 10 pick upgrade before any compo.

Would Nth and Sydney trade Parker for a swap of F2nds (comprised draft so it will be 30 down to 50….)

Then we do Darling for Sydney’s F2, and send that with TB for 13 + F1

We keep our draft hand intact, add a F1, and lose TB and Darling.

Sydney may want more, but similarly to Darling, even though 15-20 senior games next year is more likely than not at Nth, they are nearing the end so limited value.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

We wont get a R2 pick for Darling. It will be for a throw away pick in the 60s or even less. We want him gone as much the Roos want him and they know it. Its basically a salary dump for us.

We wont get a R2 pick for Darling. It will be for a throw away pick in the 60s or even less. We want him gone as much the Roos want him and they know it. Its basically a salary dump for us.
I don't understand why we would trade Darling for a junk pick and pay his salary. We're going to be struggling to hit the 95% minimum payment against the cap as is. Gaff is gone and clears $1M, TB is gone and clears $600-800k, who is taking all this money? Waterman's contract is getting bumped but who else?

Why not keep him? Darling is handy forwardline depth, as without him our KPF depth is J Williams or A Reid.

The only reason I see him being traded is if we did bring in a big name player on big money (which I am sceptical about) or to be good to him and help him play two more years.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back