List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Not exactly ground breaking news, but have it on good word that Jamaine Jones has signed with South Fremantle. Expect that his delisting along with others will be announced before the BnF on Thursday night.

Not exactly ground breaking news, but have it on good word that Jamaine Jones has signed with South Fremantle. Expect that his delisting along with others will be announced before the BnF on Thursday night.
Surely they announce it after? I don't recall us delisting players before BnFs, unless it was a Ryan Burrows scenario.

I 100% want the Hawks F1

They were on some awesome run but will definitely have a slide next year
Why? They'll have a harder fixture but they'll also have a better team. Hawthorn with Barrass should be looking at a top 4 finish.

GWV into the GF vs Sandringham by 4 points. For Oakleigh Jagga with another 32 touches will surely go pick 1. FOS 20 possessions, 2 goals and 8 i50s. Great hands with the ball and in the air but still looks a gallop short with match awareness and pace.

for the Rebels Jack Ough 21 touches and would be a perfect pick if we can get pick 40 for Darling and salary. Still fuming we traded our 3R, could have had Freijah and probably Ough as big bodied goal kicking wingman. Jonty Faull fantastic hands and a good kick with 5 goals hopefully pushing into top 12 calculations.

Bit of a sliding doors moment, but I do wonder whether we would have taken Hall last year if we had traded in Dev.

Then like you say we would select freijah and have kept our F3 instead of being spooked by Essendon

Bit of a sliding doors moment, but I do wonder whether we would have taken Hall last year if we had traded in Dev.

Then like you say we would select freijah and have kept our F3 instead of being spooked by Essendon
I bloody hope not but you may well be right. Mind you glass half full we may have paid our F2 (pick 23) for Dev and if it wasn’t that it would have been our F3 anyway. Have it on good authority that briztoon dropped a prawn into the soup of Dev’s missus at the Lions B&F, altering the course of history forever.

Definitely seemed like we wet the ol pantaloons on draft night getting Hall IMO.

Maybe with Cooper Simpson getting picked a couple selections earlier it threw a spanner into the works for us and we panicked.

Either way, fair price to pay. Every decent pick counts these days with packaging and sliding up the draft order. Particularly when you're shit and down the bottom end of the ladder, like we are.

Last edited:
Definitely seemed like wet wet the ol pantaloons on draft night getting Hall IMO.

Maybe with Cooper Simpson getting picked a couple selections earlier it threw a spanner into the works for us and we panicked.

Either way, fair price to pay. Every decent pick counts these days with packaging and sliding up the draft order. Particularly when you're shit and down the bottom end of the ladder, like we are.
Shitting the bed of the highest order. Freijah last year and Ough (who only turns 18 in December and is 194cm) at 41 this year. If Ough gets anywhere near his potential our wings would have been sorted for next dozen years.

Why.

Hawks F1 could be 18.
Our F2 could be 19

So Barrass for 13 is the deal basically! **** that.

Why do people on here insist that something has go back as part of the deal.

They want him, come pay up.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
Facts are if you want the Hawks two first, something will go back. Most likely F2.

While it could be pick 18, it could very well be pick 5 to 10. Just look at Melbourne and the Pies this year. Teams are known to take a leap and then crash back down the year after.

We also have said multiple times we want more early picks so we do want to sell as well.

Where do I sign?

The Barrass deal will unequivocally include pick 13, the question is what else. Most likely options would seem:

HAW F1 with our F2 going back
One of Ward, Serong, Reeves or Hustwaite
Pick 30
F2

I’d love Cam MacKenzie or to send back our F3 for their F1, but that would be the most impressive bit of trading our club has done since the GCS fleecing.
I suggest pick 9 for Barrass would have sealed it with nothing else

The problem is that pick has slid 4 places

Therefore their F1 with our F2 going back would be like a slide of 4 places. Seems fair!

Adelaide wants Drapes to match their Curtin?

I'll see myself out...
That is the best post in last 3 weeks. Gold
Scrooge Mcduck Disney GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had hoped we might have been able to get Jones to hang around to play for the Beagles

Probably mates with Winder though so joining him at South Freo. Also Kelly’s old club

No surprise he’s being moved on - had some good attributes but disposal was too erratic and couldn’t nail down a position after 4 years on the list.

Probably been discussed 783 times already but I wonder what Liam Reedy's contract situation is. Dominating the WAFL is one thing but he's monstering guys week in week out.
Imagine the Reidy2Reid2Reid combination.

Had hoped we might have been able to get Jones to hang around to play for the Beagles

Probably mates with Winder though so joining him at South Freo. Also Kelly’s old club

No surprise he’s being moved on - had some good attributes but disposal was too erratic and couldn’t nail down a position after 4 years on the list.

Anthony Van Der Wielen manages both TK and Jones. He’s heavily involved with Souths which is where he draws almost all of his client base from.

So the likelihood of this being correct appears high.

Why.

Hawks F1 could be 18.
Our F2 could be 19

So Barrass for 13 is the deal basically! **** that.

Why do people on here insist that something has go back as part of the deal.

They want him, come pay up.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
Absolute worst case scenario is Hawks flag and we win the spoon, making the picks 18 (now ours) and 19 (now belonging to Hawthorn).

Except if we win the spoon next year, we’ll almost certainly get some assistance, perhaps in line with North’s myriad of End of First round but must be traded picks.

So we’ve jumped the queue and now own 18, 19 (pp), 20 (pp), pushing Hawks pick out to 21.

Let’s say there’s some Band 2 compo somewhere. Well slot that in, now the Hawks pick is 22.

God forbid North get another handout slotting it back even further.

Or we’re not priority pick worthy, meaning our pick is less likely to be 19 and more likely to be in the low 20s. So it’s a decent upgrade again.

The gap from 18 to 19 is one thing, but the gap from first to second round is huge when it comes to compos and any priority picks. And this is all in a scenario where we win the spoon and they win the flag.

Even if they come fourth and we come third from bottom again, that’s 15 to 21. God forbid they have an unexpected slide and it winds up being a 10+ pick upgrade.

13 + F1 for Barrass and F2 is a good deal, it’s a fair deal and, if we get it, it’s the deal that will complete the heavy drafting phase of the rebuild.

Not convinced North will go for Trainor, unless they plan on moving Comben forward.

For likely they go for Smillie, since the Will Phillips experiment seems to have failed and they need a much bigger body in there than they currently have.
If they want a bigger body they'll go Langford I reckon
Which is who I want. Or draper

GWV into the GF vs Sandringham by 4 points. For Oakleigh Jagga with another 32 touches will surely go pick 1. FOS 20 possessions, 2 goals and 8 i50s. Great hands with the ball and in the air but still looks a gallop short with match awareness and pace.

for the Rebels Jack Ough 21 touches and would be a perfect pick if we can get pick 40 for Darling and salary. Still fuming we traded our 3R, could have had Freijah and probably Ough as big bodied goal kicking wingman. Jonty Faull fantastic hands and a good kick with 5 goals hopefully pushing into top 12 calculations.
Is Ough a good runner or fast?
Someone said yesterday there was a WA winger (aside from davis) who might be good late. Boxhall or Artemis I think. Thoughts on them?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back