List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Their future first could also be 9 and our future second 22.
This is possible but on the lower end of probability.

If future picks are being traded high probabilities should be taken into account not low ones.

It is close to certain we will finish 15 - 18 (#19 - 22 before all the crap is added in) and Hawthorn will finish 1 - 5 (#14 - 18).

Best case scenario is we finish 15 (#22) and Hawthorn finish 5 (#14) leaving an 8 place gap. The worst case scenario would be a 1 place gap between 18 and 19.

Let’s halve between 1 and 8, and make it 4. Nothing to get excited about there.

Facts are if you want the Hawks two first, something will go back. Most likely F2.

While it could be pick 18, it could very well be pick 5 to 10. Just look at Melbourne and the Pies this year. Teams are known to take a leap and then crash back down the year after.

We also have said multiple times we want more early picks so we do want to sell as well.
It definitely won’t be 5 and it probably won’t be 10.

Hawthorn are just entering their window, they are not some beat up old team like Collingwood on their last legs at the end of their window or ready to implode like Melbourne.

Hawthorn will be a lot better with Barrass and Battle in their backline not worse.

If we end up exchanging our F2 for Hawthorn’s F1 it will continue our tradition of limp wristed trading.
Willi Rioli just about won the game for PA and we traded him for #40 or something.

Last edited:
There aren't that many player's spewing about Ross Lyon's impact on their careers. Surely we can shop Tom to Saint Kilda for pick 7 if they're interested. Hawthorn's spread forward line trick was figured out by Port, who also denied them the short option in the corridor, forced them into long kicks down the line. Mitchell is good but not the messiah of coaching.
I'd be suggesting to his agent to broaden his horizon to other Victorian clubs. We cant let him leave for anything outside a top 10 pick.

Absolute worst case scenario is Hawks flag and we win the spoon, making the picks 18 (now ours) and 19 (now belonging to Hawthorn).

Except if we win the spoon next year, we’ll almost certainly get some assistance, perhaps in line with North’s myriad of End of First round but must be traded picks.

So we’ve jumped the queue and now own 18, 19 (pp), 20 (pp), pushing Hawks pick out to 21.

Let’s say there’s some Band 2 compo somewhere. Well slot that in, now the Hawks pick is 22.

God forbid North get another handout slotting it back even further.

Or we’re not priority pick worthy, meaning our pick is less likely to be 19 and more likely to be in the low 20s. So it’s a decent upgrade again.

The gap from 18 to 19 is one thing, but the gap from first to second round is huge when it comes to compos and any priority picks. And this is all in a scenario where we win the spoon and they win the flag.

Even if they come fourth and we come third from bottom again, that’s 15 to 21. God forbid they have an unexpected slide and it winds up being a 10+ pick upgrade.

13 + F1 for Barrass and F2 is a good deal, it’s a fair deal and, if we get it, it’s the deal that will complete the heavy drafting phase of the rebuild.
I tend to agree that 13 and Hawthorns F1 for Barrass and our F2 is probably pretty fair. I'd try and money ball it and ask for their F2 for our F3 just to sweeten it a little bit for us for throwing in the F2.

Is Ough a good runner or fast?
Someone said yesterday there was a WA winger (aside from davis) who might be good late. Boxhall or Artemis I think. Thoughts on them?
Ough’s strengths are his disposal by hand and foot, his power and that he can play on both the inside and outside. Not particularly known for his speed or tank but no doubt will have been working on both this year and I don’t expect him to test poorly.

Van Der Struyf might be the winger you’re thinking of if you’re talking about speed, comfortably runs a sub 3 second 20m sprint. Boxshall if you’re talking about being a good runner.

I like both Artemis and Boxshall as rookie picks. I think Boxshall will go before then and he’ll test well at the combine, both him and Clancy Dennis have huge tanks and if both are still on the board at 59 I think WCE will strongly consider them.

I don't know anything about next year's draft but we really need to use that 1st this year.
Travaglia, Berry or Lindsay could still be on the board at that pick

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

And all three could be gone.

I would be considering getting the Hawks F1st and trading our F1st into this year. Pick 6 plus extras from either the Suns or Tigers if they get that for Rioli.

Gets us two top 10 picks 3 plus 6 and we still retain a F1st from Hawks in the event of a Warner trade.

Facts are if you want the Hawks two first, something will go back. Most likely F2.

While it could be pick 18, it could very well be pick 5 to 10. Just look at Melbourne and the Pies this year. Teams are known to take a leap and then crash back down the year after.

We also have said multiple times we want more early picks so we do want to sell as well.
Barrass and battle acquisitions will be huge. They are playing finals next year.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

I would be considering getting the Hawks F1st and trading our F1st into this year. Pick 6 plus extras from either the Suns or Tigers if they get that for Rioli.

Gets us two top 10 picks 3 plus 6 and we still retain a F1st from Hawks in the event of a Warner trade.
I'm not going to go looking for it but I thought the scenario I was responding to was suggesting trading the hawks pick out into next year
Either way our future first could well be a top 2 pick. It's risky

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Say we add Draper and Chad Warner this year and next.

In 2026 we'd be lining up in the midfield with Reid, Warner, Draper as hopefully gun mids. Hewett a big injury if, and Ginbey, a maybe if he can transition back into the midfield. Yeo and Kelly at ~32 and nearly done.

Feel we are one guaranteed gun mid short given the question marks over Hewett and Ginbey. If we are going Warner i'd be keen to use a 2025 1st (Hawks or ours) + a F1 (2026), which would leave us with a 1st next year to hopefully add the extra quality mid we need

Say we add Draper and Chad Warner this year and next.

In 2026 we'd be lining up in the midfield with Reid, Warner, Draper as hopefully gun mids. Hewett a big injury if, and Ginbey, a maybe if he can transition back into the midfield. Yeo and Kelly at ~32 and nearly done.

Feel we are one guaranteed gun mid short given the question marks over Hewett and Ginbey. If we are going Warner i'd be keen to use a 2025 1st (Hawks or ours) + a F1 (2026), which would leave us with a 1st next year to hopefully add the extra quality mid we need

So two short if we don't get Warner?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn are just entering their window, they are not some beat up old team like Collingwood on their last legs at the end of their window or ready to implode like Melbourne.

Hawthorn will be a lot better with Barrass and Battle in their backline not worse.

If we end up exchanging our F2 for Hawthorn’s F1 it will continue our tradition of limp waisted trading.
Willi Rioli just about won the game for PA and we traded him for #40 or something.
You can guess that but a heap of unknowns. Cats fell last year, Pies and Dees this year ect. Crows went from shouldve making the 8 to bottom 4.

Port Adelaide
21- 2nd
22- 11th
23- 3rd
24- 2nd

Youd be doing the trade predicting a Future pick of 12-18 coming our way and giving up 19-22.

Hawks would be taking as much risk as us. The predicted 12-18 could end up being top 10. We might get priority picks that pushes our F2 back, might be 2-4 Band 1 and 2 picks between the two future picks that were traded ect.

Last edited:

I’m not completely opposed to it, but we’d be looking at 2 similar (ish) players/positions at 3 & 6. I.e mids with more of an attacking slant.

My concern is getting too many of the same type (noting the irony of this comment as we are very short on mid talent).

It depends a little on whether we get any/all of Graham, Baker, Parfitt (or Garcia, Dev, etc). Gut feeling is that we will get 2x and maybe 3x of those guys - so 1 high pick elite mid probably is best for balance (then assess in 2025 with 2x 1sts hopefully).

We all want to rush the rebuild, but getting it right is more important than bringing in another high end draftee a year early (especially if they may not be able to get into the team year 1, plus there are some elite options early 2025 draft also).

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Barrass and battle acquisitions will be huge. They are playing finals next year.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
Very unpredictable, See above.

Still doesn’t change the situation we ain’t getting the hawks 2 first without giving up something else along with TB.

Chance you can also get the Future first and trade into this draft with it too

Nope put our F1 in our back pocket. Can not give up on Sharp if we happen to finish last. If Duursma is the next best option then that could help on multiple fronts

Definitely seemed like we wet the ol pantaloons on draft night getting Hall IMO.

Maybe with Cooper Simpson getting picked a couple selections earlier it threw a spanner into the works for us and we panicked.

Either way, fair price to pay. Every decent pick counts these days with packaging and sliding up the draft order. Particularly when you're shit and down the bottom end of the ladder, like we are.
Cooper Simpson has been very underwhelming at peel this year .

Bit like Burgeil for us

Is Ough a good runner or fast?
Someone said yesterday there was a WA winger (aside from davis) who might be good late. Boxhall or Artemis I think. Thoughts on them?
Kade Herbert from SA would be a great late pick up for a winger . Elite runner , hard tackler, good overhead and neat kick.

Been stuck behind the camperiali twins this year so didn't get to show his potential .

Last edited:

If we end up exchanging our F2 for Hawthorn’s F1 it will continue our tradition of limp waisted trading.
We pretty much traded rioli for brockman .
Let that shit sink in

I’m not completely opposed to it, but we’d be looking at 2 similar (ish) players/positions at 3 & 6. I.e mids with more of an attacking slant.

My concern is getting too many of the same type (noting the irony of this comment as we are very short on mid talent).

It depends a little on whether we get any/all of Graham, Baker, Parfitt (or Garcia, Dev, etc). Gut feeling is that we will get 2x and maybe 3x of those guys - so 1 high pick elite mid probably is best for balance (then assess in 2025 with 2x 1sts hopefully).

We all want to rush the rebuild, but getting it right is more important than bringing in another high end draftee a year early (especially if they may not be able to get into the team year 1, plus there are some elite options early 2025 draft also).

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

6 becomes 8.

8 becomes Travagalia or Lalor.

We use 3 on Draper.

All three are different types so no issues there selecting players that seem too similar.

If next year we feel we are trading our 1st then I'd rather be trading a Hawks F1st than ours. And if it is Warner Swans will want our best pick plus our future 1st anyway. Why hold out pick 1 if chances are we trade?

Add Draper plus Travagalia now and get them developing. Use 23 and another 2nd ( Hawks 2024).

WEST COAST
Trade out:
Junior Rioli, picks No.2, 40
Trade in: Picks No.8, 12, 2023 second-round pick (tied to Port Adelaide), 2023 third-round pick (tied to Port Adelaide)

It’s widely accepted that 2 was traded for 8 and 12 leaving the remainder was the Rioli deal which we stupidly bundled into it. The future picks became 2023 pick 40 (traded) and 49 (Johnston).

So essentially we traded Rioli and pick 40 for F2 (40) and Johnston.

We then traded 40 and F3 (2024 pick 41) for 38 (Hall). So the net result is Rioli, 2022 pick 40 and 2024 pick 41 for Hall and Johnston.

It was a terrible deal, we essentially gave him away after the ensuing deals.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back