List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Darling's a good signing for North. Play him deep forward he will do a lot of the physical work and take a lot of pressure of Larkey. He's still got excellent forward craft and is a good ruckman in the F50.

He will also be a great mentor for their young forward's, him and JK were on another level at working together back in the day.

Not that keen on a future fourth. Much prefer a 2024 R4 which is currently 58.

Gunston was seen as cooked 2 years ago and he had half a decent season at Brisbane (17 games) and was serviceable for the Hawks this year (18 games). Sometimes it just needs a new club and a specific role.

Darling has proven to be physically durable having played over 20 games each year for the last 4. I sense we have not understood the impact of him and JK as a tandem and then with Oscar not on the park for big chunks of the year and limited inside 50's, his output has suffered.

If it is a F4, I would like to see added to it Norf and us swapping R3 - where we give up F3 and get Norf's R3 this year which is currently 40. Surely Norf do not need high volumes of yuff this year!!

Totally depends on how much salary we pay IMO.

Nothing (or limited, say $100k max for next year) we get a token pick.

If we pay half, then maybe a decent ish upgrade (59-40 or so).

If we pay most, then 40 on its own

We will find away to meet the cap floor… just depends how much we pay players not on our list as to how much we need to frontload and/or can slightly over pay some FA’s

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Totally depends on how much salary we pay IMO.

Nothing (or limited, say $100k max for next year) we get a token pick.

If we pay half, then maybe a decent ish upgrade (59-40 or so).

If we pay most, then 40 on its own

We will find away to meet the cap floor… just depends how much we pay players not on our list as to how much we need to frontload and/or can slightly over pay some FA’s

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Issue is that the Roos will have the same salary cap space as us. Like us, they would prefer pick 40 to more space.

People need to get over Brander. Sometimes first round picks don't work out. It's not an exact science, no one can tell the future. Move on.

Quite often lately.

Venables - Dead (but was the real winner in the end.... IF you know what I mean)
Brander - Gone
Chesser - Ugh
Hewett - 😨 love him, but I've got no faith.

Ginbey projects as a solid selection at least. Thank god for that. Pick split would've looked atrocious if he wasn't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's very simple.

We trade Pick 2 + Darling to North Melbourne

In return we receive from North pick 3 + Darling immediately traded back to WCE + Hawks Pick 30
Eagles refresh their list but also Darling then gets to play his 300th for the Eagles.

Quite often lately.

Venables - Dead (but was the real winner in the end.... IF you know what I mean)
Brander - Gone
Chesser - Ugh
Hewett - 😨 love him, but I've got no faith.

Ginbey projects as a solid selection at least. Thank god for that. Pick split would've looked atrocious if he wasn't.
Hewett is Exhibit A in the case for mandated medical screenings of draftees. It's a nonsense that its apparently not allowed.

I'd agree Ginbey is "solid" provided your definition of solid is Duggan v2.0.

I get the feeling the Darling trade will be a lot less than we expect.

He'll be traded for a token pick (pick 58) and us possibly picking up part of his salary as well.
58 is reasonable if we are being unbiased, which is rare from some of the recent posts I have read.

I can’t imagine NM have any salary cap pressure given their list is no good, but if they wanted us to pay his salary then maybe we could push for JD + 59 for 40 + 64 or similar.

More likely just a late pick as you mentioned.

I feel like whatever pick we get for Darling will be on traded to get Dev…
Surely no one can complain about that…… along with an extra salary cap space it creates. Still a little weird no genuine connect. Just speculation due to last year.

Might be off the cards when Garcia and Peatling tell their clubs they want to be an Eagle in 2025 in the next couple of days.

trade idea:

Pick 7 and Jake Waterman to Geelong for Pick 2 and Jake Waterman and Essendon's F1

58 for darling isn't too bad. GC, Carlton and Brisbane are going to burn through at least a dozen picks bidding on their academy/Fson's so that 58 could still come back to mid 40s. I mean 58 or 40 from North is kinda the same pick anyway. What wouldn't be good is if it's an f3 or f4 that'd suck we want picks in this years draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back