List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Just came across on twitter but can’t find the article but apparently the Age has linked us and North as early enquires for Lewis Young.

Jack Graham A grader confirmed

Is he any good ?, so many players with Young as a surname I don't know which one Lewis is !.
he plays for carlton.
Hes ok, hes been Carltons 3rd in line guy for the year. Id have HEdwards comfortably ahead of him.

He would be great depth or even could play as a 3rd tall if required.

Over 200cm tall so can play on the big forwards(same as HEdwards), I dont think he would choose us unless nobody else wanted him but hed be a great one to have on the list in the WAFL

Just came across on twitter but can’t find the article but apparently the Age has linked us and North as early enquires for Lewis Young.

Found the age article - this is the extent of what they said

“West Coast and North Melbourne have expressed early interest in 201-centimetre backman Young”

That’s it

Article was a bit more substantive on Darling, suggesting that we’ve had preliminary discussions with North

West Coast key forward Jack Darling’s move to North Melbourne appears to be a formality, with the 298-gamer completing a medical on Monday ahead of a potential trade.
A source with knowledge of the situation confirmed the routine medical took place this week, with some preliminary discussions already occurring between the clubs.
Darling is a long way removed from the player who kicked a career-high 59 goals in a season and earned All-Australian honours five years ago, but his presence and experience could help reduce the Kangaroos’ heavy reliance on star spearhead Nick Larkey.
Jack Darling (left) looks likely to join North Melbourne.

Jack Darling (left) looks likely to join North Melbourne.CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES

The 32-year-old is contracted for one more season, but has fallen down the pecking order at the Eagles, who view Jake Waterman, Oscar Allen and Jack Williams as the present and future of their forward line.
North Melbourne coach Alastair Clarkson has openly discussed his want to add experienced talent to his list, particularly with Liam Shiels and Hugh Greenwood retiring.

And a final bit of interest is that “industry sources” still think Peatling might leave GWS, although they didn’t mention us as a potential landing spot

Breakout Giants James Peatling is also weighing up his future, according to two industry sources, despite saying ahead of the club’s semi-final that he wanted to remain at GWS.
The Giants have increased their offer since mid-year, with Peatling transforming into a key contributor in the midfield by season’s end, including kicking two goals in the first quarter of Saturday’s semi-final while playing on Lions star Dayne Zorko.
The interest in Peatling from Victorian clubs such as St Kilda and Collingwood has not disappeared, and he is considering his future, even if he may remain at the Giants beyond 2024.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of love for all the Victorian boys. 22 disposals and 5 clearances a game at sanfl level is better form than a lot of those above him.
Clay Hall had WAFL games like that last year.

They don't draft on what they can do now, but what they think they'll do in future.

Just goes to show we need 3-5 at least in the top 30 this year. Keep picks please.
Based on Cal’s rankings if we take O’Sullivan at 3, Lindsay at 13 and then one of O’Farrell or Mraz* at 23 that’s about as good of a result as we could hope for other than Travaglia sliding to 13.

Absolutely no need to trade for Baker or get cute with this in what’s going to be one of the most important drafts in the club’s history.

Based on Cal’s rankings if we take O’Sullivan at 3, Lindsay at 13 and then one of O’Farrell or Mraz* at 23 that’s about as good of a result as we could hope for other than Travaglia sliding to 13.

Absolutely no need to trade for Baker or get cute with this in what’s going to be one of the most important drafts in the club’s history.
If Cal's rankings are correct we could do the pick down grade of 3 to 6 for Baker and still get Draper with 6 who I prefer anyway.

He was ranked at 9 in July and then 7 in August. Seems to be a pretty consistent range for him. Posters here are very keen on him but haven’t seen him ranked top 5 anywhere else
oh was he, whoops sorry. I assumed he was top 4 or 5 going by chat in thread.

Langford looks good, is he a stay at home Vic?

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

oh was he, whoops sorry. I assumed he was top 4 or 5 going by chat in thread.

Langford looks good, is he a stay at home Vic?

As far as we're aware, only Reid has mummy issues in the top 10.

WCE have supposedly done a home visit for Langford a few weeks ago.

It's the total opposite of last years Harley draft.

Quite funny really.

That's 1 bit of good fortune we've had in all this crap.

Lol, that's what I've been saying since last year. If there was ever a year to finish last, it was last year when the apparent best prospect to come through the system in three decades was available.

At least North hit on Sheezel in a massive way, can you imagine being awful and on the bottom of the ladder for like five years and the one year you're not last is the year Reid's up for grabs.

I'd take a punt on Lindsay, but as a club would we have concerns bringing in both Lindsay and Mraz with underlying injuries after what happened with hewitt/chesser ?

I'd take a punt on Lindsay, but as a club would we have concerns bringing in both Lindsay and Mraz with underlying injuries after what happened with hewitt/chesser ?
Good point but not sure how Lindsay is a punt. Very consistent season, had a PCL (not ACL) injury which is being managed non operatively and 13 is not a reach after Ashcroft, Lombard and Kako bids taking it to 16 at best.

Mraz has an asterisk near to his name for his injury but apparently his CT is all clear but I’d want to see it. Would be an excellent foil for Harry Edwards due to his athleticism.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back