List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Oscar Allen and Jake Waterman are set to sign new deals (Code Sports)
    • Allen is due to become a free agent at the end of next season, but is working on a six-year extension
    • Waterman will sign a four year deal, which is "heavily incentives based" and could see him earn up to $1m per year

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely. Baker wants to come home, Richmond want draft capital, Bakers silence about which club is just smoke and mirrors...... WCE hold all the cards in this potential trade.... just wait till the the last day of trade period and Richmond will come with cap in hand take the unders we offer them . As you said, he does not fill any pressing need with us or Freo, and it does not sound like the Tigers are making real noise about trying to get him to stay....... 2nd rounder at best or he walks to the preseason draft and ends up at North on a rookie contract.... Neither Baker nor the Tigers are going to want that.

Even better idea.

He gets traded to Fremantle and we keep all our draft capital.

Barrass pick (Hawks' first) makes sense if we got something back with Baker. I think there's a world where we could get Baker + 29 for Hawks' first if we overpaid Jack Graham. We'd still have our entire 2025 draft hand intact in this scenario.
In the unlikely scenario that Travaglia gets to Hawthorn's first round pick it would be nuts if we no longer hold it because we've traded it for Baker. That would be pretty deflating.

In the unlikely scenario that Travaglia gets to Hawthorn's first round pick it would be nuts if we no longer hold it because we've traded it for Baker. That would be pretty deflating.
I don't think we'll be able to select Travaglia with Hawthorn's future first

Baker has looked good in a good team. pick in the 30-40 at best
Yeah he's looked okay. I wouldn't even say good.

In a team that has mostly been competing for flags he has averaged:

18 touches (@ about 60%)
7 contested
1 clearance
Less the half a goal a game
Over 3 clangers a game
Less then 300 metres gained
Bit over 2 tackles a game
And less then 3 inside 50s a game

For the life of me I can't understand why even pick 23 is being linked for this guy. He is an undersized role player if I've ever seen one and who could very well be a lot worse in the wings.

Someone help me out here. Why TF would we give up any precious draft capital for Liam Baker. It boggles the mind.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back