List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Oscar Allen and Jake Waterman are set to sign new deals (Code Sports)
    • Allen is due to become a free agent at the end of next season, but is working on a six-year extension
    • Waterman will sign a four year deal, which is "heavily incentives based" and could see him earn up to $1m per year

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd probably rate Baker around the value of Duggan.

Duggan is a passionate leader and can be very good at times, but he can also butcher the ball. I wouldn't say Duggan is worth a first round pick, and neither is Baker.
Interesting comment because both Duggan and Baker have considerably better stats and ratings than Rioli who GC are expected to cough up pick 6 for. Personally I reckon all of them are probably worth early seconds!

Find it interesting that if a player wants out and nominates a team - what happens if that team then realises they’re going to be more expensive than they expected. i
Imagine paying up more than you wanted because you felt obligated to take the player who nominated you. Obviously this is a day in the life of a GCS recruiter. But how often have teams reneged on negotiations even after the player publicly informs their team that they want to be traded to team X?
like Tim Kelly... way overs, but WC lived up to their commitment and it cost us!

If Cripps has retired, he's really got my respect. Even more so than before.

Putting the team first is not always the easiest thing to do.

Hopefully he hangs around and helps the mosquito fleet in some regard. (Just not first touch 😂)
I think you'll like this

Find it interesting that if a player wants out and nominates a team - what happens if that team then realises they’re going to be more expensive than they expected. i
Imagine paying up more than you wanted because you felt obligated to take the player who nominated you. Obviously this is a day in the life of a GCS recruiter. But how often have teams reneged on negotiations even after the player publicly informs their team that they want to be traded to team X?
Pretty interesting thought.

Like Kelly nominated us and we folded like a cheap suit to geelong - and it’s cost us badly.

Getting unlimited make clubs like port go fu, you get what you are given. We gave out prime plus steak knives and wait there’s more….

Manager often acts as a mediator for both clubs and player

Why are we even talking about Baker surely he's not on our radar unless its Future pick 50. Richmond are just unloading there players for a fast rebuild. We have enough mature age players of his calibre.
I think there a few Richmond supporters in here hoping we will take him??

Last edited:
Why are we even talk about Baker surely he's not on our radar unless its Future pick 50. Richmond are just unloading there players for a fast rebuild. We have enough mature age players of his calibre.
Richmond definitely trying to accomplish a one draft rebuild.

Baker is not worth more than #23, if he is worth that. We don’t seem to make good draft choices in the 20’s but surely there would be a good player this year, e.g. Hamish Davis.

I would like to see us pass on Baker at the price they are trying to extract and the draft capital we don’t have.

Pretty interesting thought.

Like Kelly nominated us and we folded like a cheap suit to geelong - and it’s cost us badly.

Getting unlimited make clubs like port go fu, you get what you are given. We gave out prime plus steak knives and wait there’s more….
We didn't get the Kelly trade done first time around though, it was the year after that we caved

Why are we even talking about Baker surely he's not on our radar unless its Future pick 50. Richmond are just unloading there players for a fast rebuild. We have enough mature age players of his calibre.

Look, I’m all for not overpaying and agree Richmond are all in on trying to accelerate their rebuild, but we really don’t have many if any players like Baker.

Guys in the same age group are Witherden, Waterman, Cole, Duggan, Ryan (ignoring TB, Rotham, Jones who are all unlikely to be on the list next year, and Flynn who is hard to judge due to injury).

Baker is better than Cole and Witherden, is more consistent with his effort than Ryan (nowhere near the ceiling), somewhat similar to Duggan although more positional flexibility, and not as good or consistent as the ‘new’ Waterman.

All for haggling over what the right price is, but at the right price he will fit into our side nicely.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

We don’t actually have that many around Baker’s age (27 next year)

Darling and Barrass are both on their way out. Jones and Trew have been delisted with Rotham, L Edwards and possibly Witherden likely to follow. Gaff has retired

That leaves (age next year) :

33 - McGovern, Cripps
32 - Yeo
31 - Kelly
30 - Hunt, Sheed
29 - Ryan, Duggan
28 - Cole, Flynn
27 - Waterman
26 - Allen, Petruccelle
25 - B Williams, Jamieson, H Edwards
24 - Hutchinson
23 - Brockman

That’s 18 over 23 with the remaining 26 of the squad post draft to be 22 and under - less any mature talent like Baker and Graham we bring in

Baker walks into our best 22 and would be there for the next 5 years so it’s understandable why we’re looking at him. Ideally our F2 gets a trade done or (reluctantly) pick 23 which I’d prefer to use in the draft

Then there’s a myriad of other proposals using multiple picks or a third club - I posted one earlier that had us receiving Baker plus picks 13,30 and 39 for Barrass plus picks 23 and 59

I get that people are wary of us overpaying but Baker does fill a need provided he comes at a reasonable cost which we’ll just have to wait and see what that is

We don’t actually have that many around Baker’s age (27 next year)

Darling and Barrass are both on their way out. Jones and Trew have been delisted with Rotham, L Edwards and possibly Witherden likely to follow. Gaff has retired

That leaves (age next year) :

33 - McGovern, Cripps
32 - Yeo
31 - Kelly
30 - Hunt, Sheed
29 - Ryan, Duggan
28 - Cole, Flynn
27 - Waterman
26 - Allen, Petruccelle
25 - B Williams, Jamieson, H Edwards
24 - Hutchinson
23 - Brockman

That’s 18 over 23 with the remaining 26 of the squad post draft to be 22 and under - less any mature talent like Baker and Graham we bring in

Baker walks into our best 22 and would be there for the next 5 years so it’s understandable why we’re looking at him. Ideally our F2 gets a trade done or (reluctantly) pick 23 which I’d prefer to use in the draft

Then there’s a myriad of other proposals using multiple picks or a third club - I posted one earlier that had us receiving Baker plus picks 13,30 and 39 for Barrass plus picks 23 and 59

I get that people are wary of us overpaying but Baker does fill a need provided he comes at a reasonable cost which we’ll just have to wait and see what that is
I'd rather keep the draft picks and draft some decent players. It is a WC rebuild that we are undertaking not a Richmond rebuild.

One giant issue is Liam Baker is a flanker. We do not need anymore flankers.... I cant express that any stronger. Its the LAST spot we need to look at

Id rather we spend our time on a guy like Neil Erasmus who we should be making a big offer for

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im going early but nominating Shannon Hurn as our best recruit this year.

More/better skills development coaching please 🙏

Exactly. By most accounts we’ve broken bread. We could ruin their draft next year if they play silly buggers. I don’t except a Freo bid on Champion.

They have broken bread because Fremantle perceive themselves as more advanced. Which they are at moment.

Once that changes, you watch jealousy kick in and that bread to change. They are a sensitive lot when it comes to all things west coast. Gaelic will be seen as a secret west coast fan.

They have broken bread because Fremantle perceive themselves as more advanced. Which they are at moment.

Once that changes, you watch jealousy kick in and that bread to change. They are a sensitive lot when it comes to all things west coast. Gaelic will be seen as a secret west coast fan.
Don’t worry I won’t be holding my breath but with the inherent disadvantage of being a WA side in a vic-centric competition the WA sides should at the very least be working together at board and list management level. The NGAs and even player trades without screwing each other over should be the bare minimum. Happy for us to try and kill each other on the field.

One giant issue is Liam Baker is a flanker. We do not need anymore flankers.... I cant express that any stronger. Its the LAST spot we need to look at

Id rather we spend our time on a guy like Neil Erasmus who we should be making a big offer for
Erasmus is a ball butcher . I feel we went down the path of guys of his quality both garcia and dev would be cheaper options

I imagine our desire for Baker will depend on how we go chasing free agent/freebies. If we can add Pealting, Garcia, Dev Rob, Jack Graham or similar for not much, then the need for Baker drops dramatically. Offer a late pick on a take it or leave it basis and walk away.

We do need to add some mature (27 and under) bodies but don't want to pay much to do so, as they will only raise our floor, not raise our ceiling like potential first and second round picks may.

I imagine our desire for Baker will depend on how we go chasing free agent/freebies. If we can add Pealting, Garcia, Dev Rob, Jack Graham or similar for not much, then the need for Baker drops dramatically. Offer a late pick on a take it or leave it basis and walk away.

We do need to add some mature (27 and under) bodies but don't want to pay much to do so, as they will only raise our floor, not raise our ceiling like potential first and second round picks may.

Parfitt as well. I’m guessing his preferred destination will be announced this week or so with Geelong’s season now finished

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back