List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Oscar Allen and Jake Waterman are set to sign new deals (Code Sports)
    • Allen is due to become a free agent at the end of next season, but is working on a six-year extension
    • Waterman will sign a four year deal, which is "heavily incentives based" and could see him earn up to $1m per year

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Baker has finished in the top 5 of Richmond’s B&F the last 4 or so seasons I believe, I think everyone here is severely under rating how good he is.

With that being said, given our position, F2 or 23 should be the most we give up and even 23 I’d hate given the draft depth

Baker has finished in the top 5 of Richmond’s B&F the last 4 or so seasons I believe, I think everyone here is severely under rating how good he is.

With that being said, given our position, F2 or 23 should be the most we give up and even 23 I’d hate given the draft depth
And Duggan's been top 5 in our last 3, do you reckon he would get a pick around 23 in a trade right now?

It's also about his age, particularly in a year when the draft is this deep. Could be throwing away the chance at 200 game player for the sake of a guy who's highly unlikely to be on the team next time we're contending
Been listening to coaches Simmo, Mitchell and Clarko lately all day you just don’t know when it will pop. A 27 year old of his calibre should have a. Good 5 years left.

Also by getting better you can get into the convo for good free agents you have to start winning. Baker individually won’t do it, by he will help. It’s a win win this year imo. Baker comes great (for pick 23 or F2) or we go to the draft. It doesn’t have to be doom and gloom one way or the other. Unless we trade pick 13 for him then I’ll grab my pitch fork and join the Draft Mafia

The Gold Coast fans I've seen have all said they're in 'win now' mode and appear to be all for pushing picks back into next year's draft. There is certainly an opportunity to leverage this using our F1. I don't think it would be 6 AND 12 seeing as the Suns appear to be all in on Rioli but it could be as simple as 6 + 26 for our F1. Maybe 46 as well or 20 instead of 26.

That would leave us with 3, 6, 13, 23, 26 this year but either Hawks' F1 or our F2 as our best pick next year, likely meaning no Warner (unless we did it this year with the above hand).
My other exceptionally left field suggestion
Our F1, Darling and $800,000 for NM Pick 2.
We'll finish bottom 3 again so the F1 could be 1, 2, or 3 so effectively a pick swap and they get Darling and his first year free. I'd even give them 59 to get it done.
2, 3, 13, 23 is a great hand. Maybe then offer GC 3 for 6 & 20.
Go to the draft with 2, 6, 13, 20, 23. Use 20 on Baker.
Lots of permutations, we don't even know what the TB deal will end up? If we get 13, and an F1 or more likely, an f2 then we can use the Hawks f1/f2 in any trade offer.

And Duggan's been top 5 in our last 3, do you reckon he would get a pick around 23 in a trade right now?

Yeah, in arguably our 3 worst years in club history. Baker is a three time premiership player and was placing high in their B&F’s when they were good, as well as when they were bad.

Baker is comfortably better than Duggan.

Been listening to coaches Simmo, Mitchell and Clarko lately all day you just don’t know when it will pop. A 27 year old of his calibre should have a. Good 5 years left.

Also by getting better you can get into the convo for good free agents you have to start winning. Baker individually won’t do it, by he will help. It’s a win win this year imo. Baker comes great (for pick 23 or F2) or we go to the draft. It doesn’t have to be doom and gloom one way or the other. Unless we trade pick 13 for him then I’ll grab my pitch fork and join the Draft Mafia
I just don't see his value for us considering what Richmond will want, if he was 23 or so then yeah go for it.
He's the type of guy you get to help push you over the top (a Chick or Stenglein type), not one you want at this stage of our rebuild imo.

Yeah, in arguably our 3 worst years in club history. Baker is a three time premiership player and was placing high in their B&F’s when they were good, as well as when they were bad.

Baker is comfortably better than Duggan.
You realise Richmond have been pretty damn average (albeit not as bad as us) for the last 4 seasons right?

I’d like baker in our team and think he’d really help lift our floor without making us too good that we miss out on more good draft picks. I just don’t want to overpay, that’s all.

I’d like baker in our team and think he’d really help lift our floor without making us too good that we miss out on more good draft picks. I just don’t want to overpay, that’s all.

I think that pretty much sums up how most posters feel about Baker, in particular the bolded bit.

I think that pretty much sums up how most posters feel about Baker, in particular the bolded bit.
I feel like 23 might be too much. Having just two picks before pick 60 odd just feels way to lite on.

Swapping out future picks to get back into this draft because we gave away 23 isn’t ideal either

Why is GC trading the certainty of pick 6 and a 2nd round pick for an unknown future pick?
We'd be the ones having to throw a sweetener in, not GC, and even then I don't think any sane club trades out a pick 6 for an unknown pick, you play that kind of roulette with later picks.
except if they think we'll finish bottom 3 and they need to bank picks for their 2025 Academy players, one of whom is reputed to be in the discussion for pick 1. You have to bear in mind the DVI will change next year where points will only be allocated up to Pick 54 and each pick from 2 - 54 will be worth less. Also, picks 1 - 18 will now attract a 10% discount instead of 20%. Effectively, the AFL have taken 10,000 points out of the DVI points pool. Also, GC are likely to pick up a first rounder in a trade for Lukosius.
Lots of permutations to work through but there is one constant, if you don't ask, you will never receive 🤷‍♂️

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why is GC trading the certainty of pick 6 and a 2nd round pick for an unknown future pick?
We'd be the ones having to throw a sweetener in, not GC, and even then I don't think any sane club trades out a pick 6 for an unknown pick, you play that kind of roulette with later picks.
On face value, I agree, however as the fans I've spoken to have said, they don't have a need for another 18 year old kid this year when they're trying to win now and have multiple academy kids next year. I also don't think giving up pick 6 for Rioli is good business.

The unknown factor is absolutely true but our F1 is likely to be pick 2 or 3 next year. Even if we hold our own at home next year, we still have to win away games to make that pick worth anything less than 6 or 7.

My other exceptionally left field suggestion
Our F1, Darling and $800,000 for NM Pick 2.
We'll finish bottom 3 again so the F1 could be 1, 2, or 3 so effectively a pick swap and they get Darling and his first year free. I'd even give them 59 to get it done.
2, 3, 13, 23 is a great hand. Maybe then offer GC 3 for 6 & 20.
Go to the draft with 2, 6, 13, 20, 23. Use 20 on Baker.
Lots of permutations, we don't even know what the TB deal will end up? If we get 13, and an F1 or more likely, an f2 then we can use the Hawks f1/f2 in any trade offer.
I think I have read this exact same post 6 times, on this thread alone. We get it!

You realise Richmond have been pretty damn average (albeit not as bad as us) for the last 4 seasons right?

You realise he finished 6th in their B&F for their last flag right?

Followed by a 2nd place finish in 2021

Followed by a 4th place finish in 2022 when they made finals

He has been a top 5-7 player for them for a long time, not just since they’ve started rebuilding.

I don’t even want to trade for Baker really but the narrative he’s just an average footballer is hilarious and absolutely wrong.

A team of children wont get anywhere. Baker for the right price is a must (second rounder). The age profile fits perfectly.

Graham however offers very little.
No we still have a vacant defensive mid we need filled. Also he's younger then baker

IMO Graham is a bigger need then Baker unless Baker can be that defensive mid. We already have a staff of the same HBF in Baker (duggan, witho, cole etc.)

They actually boast amazingly similar career stats and ratings but Duggan has better disposal efficiency at 74% to 69% for Baker. So, if you reckon Duggans not worth 23 nor is Baker. Bear in mind though, 23 will end up closer to 30 than it will to 20 once FA compensation, FS and Academy picks are added in!!

You realise he finished 6th in their B&F for their last flag right?

Followed by a 2nd place finish in 2021

Followed by a 4th place finish in 2022 when they made finals

He has been a top 5-7 player for them for a long time, not just since they’ve started rebuilding.

I don’t even want to trade for Baker really but the narrative he’s just an average footballer is hilarious and absolutely wrong.
I don't really care where he finished in their best and fairest, just provided a comparable player from our team which is apparently different.
And I don't think I've ever said he was just an average footballer, I just don't want him at the price we'll have to pay Richmond, given his age and where our rebuild is at.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back