List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Oscar Allen and Jake Waterman are set to sign new deals (Code Sports)
    • Allen is due to become a free agent at the end of next season, but is working on a six-year extension
    • Waterman will sign a four year deal, which is "heavily incentives based" and could see him earn up to $1m per year

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the idea. but how?

We are likely to have pick 3, pick 13 and pick 23. Then a late pick for Champion. If we have to give up 23 for Baker, who you said we are bringing in. That leaves us with two picks of any sort of quality + Champion. Where are the other 2 or 3 drafted players coming from? Picks in the 70's? Good luck with that.
Once teams have used their allocated list spots and bid matching has burnt picks I think there will still be some AFL quality players at the back end of the draft. That being said I agree with you and would love to see us trade out players surplus to requirements to get some picks in the 35-50 range. Starting with telling Norf pick 64 is not going to cut it for Darling. Only had to watch Archer Reid in the game Darling played to see that he’s still more valuable on the list than pick 64.

Cal often mentions the main pillar of the deal but glosses over the other parts. Will be interesting to see what Norf expect back or whether it is a straightforward F1 as a stand alone
Even if the deal was F1 for Houston and F2 Port should jump at that as the best SA prospect along with JHF in the last decade.

With list spots at a premium Sheed presents us with a dilemma.

The probable trades of Darling and Barrass plus the delisting of Jones, Trew and Baker has opened up 5 spots.

Then there is just 5 remaining uncontracted players - L Edwards, Rotham, Witherden, Burgiel and Culley. Only Culley has been reported to be in negotiations for a new contract but nothing official has been confirmed

With no other trades out, that leaves a maximum of 10 spots - 9 if Culley gets a new contract. I’d also prefer we keep Burgiel for another year and send him to Doha to get his hammies sorted (McGovern said on ABC Saturday another group was going but didn’t say who)

We should be taking at least 5 draft picks, preferably 6. Bring in Baker and Graham and that’s 7-8 players before the likes of Carroll, Garcia, Parfitt or Robertson are considered

So do we payout Sheed to save a Burgiel or retain Witherden who despite his flaws provided more in 2024 than Sheed. Clearly he’s been hampered by his foot injury that he had operated on recently to fix the problem

Unfortunately we probably don’t know prior to trade week if that’s worked and may not even know by the time the draft rolls around.

So I think he likely gets kept with a decision to be made during preseason as to whether he can contribute for a full season. If he can’t then retire him and find a SSP player as his replacement
Sheed is exactly who we don't need setting standards on the field at wafl level. Pay him out

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cal reporting that Norf have offered their F1 for Dan Houston. Norf could offer Houston as much money as he wants and with Dyson Sharp looming next year Port be absolutely nuts not to take that deal.

Very brief mention of Barrass “Pick 13 plus something extra”, not worth listening to.
Surely Ports F1 would be going back. Or at least a pick swap of some type.

The problem is that he’s just never going to be part of our next push up the ladder.

Speed of ball movement is critical in modern footy, and sadly for Witherden he lacks pace and is a slow decision maker with ball in hand.

As much as he is B22, we need to replace players of his type to improve

I think it might be premature to delist Witherden. Up until Witherden is pushed out of our B22 by a youngster, he has a role to play. If he was only marginally in our best, fair enough, sayonara. Until then, he provides competition for spots, depth and a mature body (and credit to him, when it's his turn to go he never flinches).

Surely Ports F1 would be going back. Or at least a pick swap of some type.
I’m not even going to speculate on what rational trade thinking looks like for Norf or Gold Coast but needless to say if Norf gave F1 for Houston and/or GCS gave pick 6 for Rioli with nothing coming back I would not be in the least bit surprised.

I’m not even going to speculate on what rational trade thinking looks like for Norf or Gold Coast but needless to say if Norf gave F1 for Houston and/or GCS gave pick 6 for Rioli with nothing coming back I would not be in the least bit surprised.

If both those things happen someone needs to step in for these perennial losers to stop them making bad decisions.

Once teams have used their allocated list spots and bid matching has burnt picks I think there will still be some AFL quality players at the back end of the draft. That being said I agree with you and would love to see us trade out players surplus to requirements to get some picks in the 35-50 range. Starting with telling Norf pick 64 is not going to cut it for Darling. Only had to watch Archer Reid in the game Darling played to see that he’s still more valuable on the list than pick 64.
Norf could offer pick 164 and I think WCE would still take it. They will offer whatever highest pick they have that they don't need, not what biased WCE supporters perceive is Darling's value (the same Darling that only 2 months ago we were all cheering for being dropped to the WAFL).
We're clearing Darling's salary off our books, creating a list spot and giving a 298 game club champion a chance to extend his career.

The draft pick coming back is purely because he's contracted and needs to be traded under AFL rules.

If both those things happen someone needs to step in for these perennial losers to stop them making bad decisions.
Clarke & Hardwick (along with Scott) are the most successful coaches of the last 25 years. If they can't steer their clubs in the right direction, the AFL might as well fold Norf & GC because they'd be beyond help.

Norf could offer pick 164 and I think WCE would still take it. They will offer whatever highest pick they have that they don't need, not what biased WCE supporters perceive is Darling's value (the same Darling that only 2 months ago we were all cheering for being dropped to the WAFL).
We're clearing Darling's salary off our books, creating a list spot and giving a 298 game club champion a chance to extend his career.

The draft pick coming back is purely because he's contracted and needs to be traded under AFL rules.
Maybe they will but if they do I certainly don’t share that view of list management.

Brizkent is part of the furniture at this point. Can't imagine this board, and this thread in particular without him.

How many offseason has it been now... 3?

Still hasn't explained the academys much to us though, wouldn't mind a detailed breakdown :eyes:
Well, as we say on our board…

GIF by NETFLIX

Clarke & Hardwick (along with Scott) are the most successful coaches of the last 25 years. If they can't steer their clubs in the right direction, the AFL might as well fold Norf & GC because they'd be beyond help.

Clarkson seems to be getting desperate IMO, if he can't get some semblance of improvement this year then he's going to start getting deserved negative attention, he's been coasting on patience and goodwill and needs results.

Hardwick has entered a team with a good list that is a bit weak mentally, he's a good chance to turn it around there but chucking pick 6 at Rioli sounds desperate. Really it's only the media reporting on these picks but they are crazy prices for the age and quality of the 2 players concerned.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone got thoughts on Boxhall after the season he’s had? Might be on our radar as an option pick 23 or if we got the Hawks pick 30?

I know none of the Eastern state’s experts are putting him in the top 30 but he’s right here under our noses. Had an excellent state champs and best on in the grand final in my opinion on the weekend.

187cm and an accumulator.

Anyone got thoughts on Boxhall after the season he’s had? Might be on our radar as an option pick 23 or if we got the Hawks pick 30?

I know none of the Eastern state’s experts are putting him in the top 30 but he’s right here under our noses. Had an excellent state champs and best on in the grand final in my opinion on the weekend.

Not sure but have heard we've spoken to him (a few vic clubs too). Makes sense for us.

I like the idea. but how?

We are likely to have pick 3, pick 13 and pick 23. Then a late pick for Champion. If we have to give up 23 for Baker, who you said we are bringing in. That leaves us with two picks of any sort of quality + Champion. Where are the other 2 or 3 drafted players coming from? Picks in the 70's? Good luck with that.

Picks 3,13 and 23 should be saved for the draft and not traded for players. Our F2 should be sufficient for Baker if that trade eventuates

We then have 59 to match a Champion bid plus potentially pick 64 for Darling which is useful in a reportedly deep draft

So that’s 5

We also have pick 3 in the rookie draft which we should be looking to use as a roll of the dice - something we haven’t done as often as we perhaps should’ve in recent years

I’ll also add the club has been making noises about generating additional early picks. Now that might be pushing Hawthorn for 30 in addition to 13 for Barrass. Or if we get their F1 as part of the trade we could use that to trade into this year’s draft

Or, deep breath, we split pick 3 which is something I’d prefer we didn’t do but might be an option to generate more picks

Davo has him mid 20s on his latest rankings. Personally I think 23 is too high and would rather take Oliver, Hynes, Gross or best KPD available. Later pick if we have one I’d consider but don’t think he gets to the rookie draft anymore. For all the doom and gloom predictions the WA cohort has done well this year and state team performed well above expectations.

Picks 3,13 and 23 should be saved for the draft and not traded for players. Our F2 should be sufficient for Baker if that trade eventuates

We then have 59 to match a Champion bid plus potentially pick 64 for Darling which is useful in a reportedly deep draft

So that’s 5

We also have pick 3 in the rookie draft which we should be looking to use as a roll of the dice - something we haven’t done as often as we perhaps should’ve in recent years

I’ll also add the club has been making noises about generating additional early picks. Now that might be pushing Hawthorn for 30 in addition to 13 for Barass. Or if we get their F1 as part of the trade we could use that to trade into this year’s draft

Or, deep breath, we split pick 3 which is something I’d prefer we didn’t do but might be an option to generate more picks
I hate the idea of giving up F1, F2, and F3 picks. That's what we did last year with Clay Hall. it hamstrings us and means we keep cannibalising the next draft to deal with the current draft. The only trade I'd consider is Hawks F1 for a decent first this year, but even that hurts the idea of Warner.

Pick 64 might be useful in a deep draft, but banking on that to actually return a reliable AFL player is wishful thinking.

Davo has him mid 20s on his latest rankings. Personally I think 23 is too high and would rather take Oliver, Hynes, Gross or best KPD available. Later pick if we have one I’d consider but don’t think he gets to the rookie draft anymore. For all the doom and gloom predictions the WA cohort has done well this year and state team performed well above expectations.
Haven’t seen Davo latest rankings but he certainly tends to look at interstate kids more than some “experts” do based in Victoria.
I think he’s worth having a good look at wouldn’t mind going back and looking a bit more at his disposal and decision making. Knows how to find it.

Interesting the speculation regarding Houston going to North.
Why the hell would he want to go there?

Apparently the Saints want him and they have a early pick themselves and will get a compensation pick for Battle.

Blues also want him but they also don’t want to part with this years 1st.

Both Blues and Aints would surely be a more attractive proposition to join than the Beggars.

Besides North have finally landed their big fish: Jack Darling 😉

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back