List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Oscar Allen and Jake Waterman are set to sign new deals (Code Sports)
    • Allen is due to become a free agent at the end of next season, but is working on a six-year extension
    • Waterman will sign a four year deal, which is "heavily incentives based" and could see him earn up to $1m per year

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
He was considered a reach because there were players still available at 13 that were more widely rated. Not because he wasn’t going to get drafted at all.

Even the day before the draft Twomey had him lasting to 18: https://www.afc.com.au/news/82556/aflcomaus-phantom-draft

So 5 spots is a reach cause Twomey had him at 18? How many spots is considered a reach and what is the baseline phantom draft?

Sorry for being a campaigner but bored as shit at home

With JJ gone, we’ll need another ex-Cat to keep TK company.

Not to get too much into the cliques of the group but TK and JD are pretty close, so by extension Gaffy would also be close with TK.

It's going to be an interesting preseason for TK as that little group seemed to stick to themselves quite a lot. JD and Gaff out, JJ gone..

Anyone got thoughts on Boxshall after the season he’s had? Might be on our radar as an option pick 23 or if we got the Hawks pick 30?

I know none of the Eastern state’s experts are putting him in the top 30 but he’s right here under our noses. Had an excellent state champs and best on in the grand final in my opinion on the weekend.

187cm and an accumulator.
Really like him and he's perfect for us, but probably prefer some others more at 23.
I'd love both Boxshall and Artemis

So when does trade period start?

And what is the likely deals for Barrass and Darling?
Hawks Give up: 13, F1 and F2
WCE: F2 + Salary?

Norf: Pick 40
WCE: Salary?; or

Norf: 64
WCE: Just want Darling off the books?

Also anyone looking to leave, petch, BBW .etc?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With list spots at a premium Sheed presents us with a dilemma.

The probable trades of Darling and Barrass plus the delisting of Jones, Trew and Baker has opened up 5 spots.

Then there is just 5 remaining uncontracted players - L Edwards, Rotham, Witherden, Burgiel and Culley. Only Culley has been reported to be in negotiations for a new contract but nothing official has been confirmed

With no other trades out, that leaves a maximum of 10 spots - 9 if Culley gets a new contract. I’d also prefer we keep Burgiel for another year and send him to Doha to get his hammies sorted (McGovern said on ABC Saturday another group was going but didn’t say who)

We should be taking at least 5 draft picks, preferably 6. Bring in Baker and Graham and that’s 7-8 players before the likes of Carroll, Garcia, Parfitt or Robertson are considered

So do we payout Sheed to save a Burgiel or retain Witherden who despite his flaws provided more in 2024 than Sheed. Clearly he’s been hampered by his foot injury that he had operated on recently to fix the problem

Unfortunately we probably don’t know prior to trade week if that’s worked and may not even know by the time the draft rolls around.

So I think he likely gets kept with a decision to be made during preseason as to whether he can contribute for a full season. If he can’t then retire him and find a SSP player as his replacement
Cut both sheed and witherden. Both not best 22 in a side that we want to be on the up .

Agree Sheed is past it but **** I'd love to cheer him off in a farewell game at home ... vs Collingwood.

A post-season delisting just seems wrong given what he did in 2018.

I'm a romantic at heart. Same reason I want all academy concessions scrapped but father-sons retained 😊

Hamish Davis was excellent in the colts grand final, looks like he has scope to be a damaging midfielder that can run all day.
Clancy Dennis 194cm KPD has had a good year for Claremont also.

Won AA at CHB in the u18s carnival , quick on the lead , great 1 on 1 defender, great intercept mark and has a penetrating kick.

Haven't seen him in any phantoms worth a late pick .

Anyone seen much of him at colts level ?

So 5 spots is a reach cause Twomey had him at 18? How many spots is considered a reach and what is the baseline phantom draft?

Sorry for being a campaigner but bored as shit at home

He rocketed up to as high as 18 in the weeks before the draft. He was a fair way back before that. Twomey’s phantom was the day before the draft and based on his intel, he had the first 12 picks almost spot on (just Scharenberg and Aish swapped), but even then he had Carlton at 13 and multiple other clubs after that passing on Cripps.

So any suggestion that we should have taken him at 11 is complete 20/20 hindsight stuff. No one had him ranked that highly at the time.

Yeah the AFL step in with priority picks, extra list spots etc etc.

But if we ask then our current predicament is ‘all our own fault’ 🤪

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Not entirely our fault .

2 first round picks retire due to concussion

Also the draft being severely compromised without us having any access to NGAs .

First pick in the 2nd round at pick 30 FFS

Won AA at CHB in the u18s carnival , quick on the lead , great 1 on 1 defender, great intercept mark and has a penetrating kick.

Very impressive late second round / early third round pick .

Not entirely our fault .

2 first round picks retire due to concussion

Also the draft being severely compromised without us having any access to NGAs .

First pick in the 2nd round at pick 30 FFS

Yep 100%, hence it being in quotation marks.

It’s a convenient narrative that the whole reason for our demise is because we held onto aging players too long, were lazy and managed injuries poorly.

Some of those are true also, but factors completely outside of our control (concussion retirements, and I think our salary cap had the full payments included - plus pick’s getting pushed out, plus the separate drafts for vic vs non-vic clubs) are a significant reason also.

Eaglevision and I both have been big on him all year, I'm hoping 40 from North for darling brings him into the club

We could always ask the afl for 2 extra rookie spots as part of a assistance package .

Move 2 contracted players sheed and jamo to the rookie list so we have 2 more spots open up

Why though?

If we are battling to pay the salary floor, then payouts a year early aren’t really going to hurt us.

Either they are part of our future (even if just for 1 guaranteed year) or they are not. Strong no to moving anyone to the rookie list to free up spots and/or just because they are contracted.

Not specifically saying we turf Sheed or CJ, just that strategically even if we get 2 extra rookie spots we should not use our rookie list (currently) as a spot to park contracted players for a year before we cut them.

Parfitt for free is an absolute no brainer. At worst he makes the beagles more competitive

Geelong delisted a guy who is 27 also in Mitch Hardie who hasn’t played that Geelong fans were calling for to get games who averaged 29 disposals a game playing as an Inside mid , didn’t drop below 20 in any game and also averaged 6 clearances and 5 tackles per game and 14 goals for the year.. at worst he should be drafted to help the wafl side.. good size at 184cm, vfl team of the year , 4th (ahead of dev) in the Liston trophy…

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back