List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Oscar Allen and Jake Waterman are set to sign new deals (Code Sports)
    • Allen is due to become a free agent at the end of next season, but is working on a six-year extension
    • Waterman will sign a four year deal, which is "heavily incentives based" and could see him earn up to $1m per year

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I like Hammer, but he does say a lot of things! - I guess circumstances might change or there’s the chance a player becomes a bit disillusioned at their club for whatever reason. I don’t know him personally, but players certainly have been known to pack up for a fresh start interstate
He just came 2nd in their B&F didn't he? Not sure why he would need a fresh start.

I like it from sgio.

Keeping Hawks F1 next year enough. I recon to access picks next year we will be able to trade a F26/27 to get back into it if needed.

3 Draper/FOS
6 trevaglia
13 Lindsay/allen
20 berry/Tauru
23 Whitlock/Mraz
Champion

I honestly recon this is the draft to bring in the kids. Using our F1 to get into it and maintaining Hawks F1 is the play. We just need to hold firm with Hawthorn about 13 F1 without much going back

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

That Tauru looks like a Jeremy Howe but mean and harder at it.

Would be a pretty decent Hurn type replacement. A bit of Hunter swing man flexibility.

Can seriously take a contested mark and cracks in.

Last edited:

I like it from sgio.

Keeping Hawks F1 next year enough. I recon to access picks next year we will be able to trade a F26/27 to get back into it if needed.

3 Draper/FOS
6 trevaglia
13 Lindsay/allen
20 berry/Tauru
23 Whitlock/Mraz
Champion

I honestly recon this is the draft to bring in the kids. Using our F1 to get into it and maintaining Hawks F1 is the play. We just need to hold firm with Hawthorn about 13 F1 without much going back

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
I’d love pick 6, whether we get it from GCS or Richmond (without giving up 3), for me it’s essentially Travaglia before the Saints although I do think the WCE would take a second mid instead.

Love the picks you’ve taken but don’t think Berry or Tauru get to 20 and I’d prefer HOF to either Whitlock. Agree on loading up this draft, although unfortunately I do think this board needs to temper their expectations as to what’s coming back our way for Barrass…

Dunno about Gus but when Hamish was asked a while back if Andrew would leave to go 'home' he said "Go where? Everyone's here."

Considering he was a Port fan and they spent their early childhood in SA, he could consider going back there, I guess.
He would move to VIC not SA. Not sure of exact timeline but all the boys (Angus, Hamish and Andrew) went to high school at Haileybury and were drafted out of Sandringham Dragons.

St Kilda territory. Ross Lyon was Andrew’s first coach at Freo and the Saints are actively throwing cash at star mids from other clubs.

Sounds unlikely he will leave but gee whiz I’m no mathematician but if Freo land some of their trade targets their salary cap has to be overflowing. A big financial difference would seemingly be the only reason Brayshaw would leave.

Dunno about Gus but when Hamish was asked a while back if Andrew would leave to go 'home' he said "Go where? Everyone's here."

Considering he was a Port fan and they spent their early childhood in SA, he could consider going back there, I guess.

Andy has two brothers interstate (one doesn't play footy) and they've relocated from state to state pretty frequently as a family so he would have fairly good connections wherever he ended up.

I'm not saying he's going, but I am saying if Freo loosen the purse strings in pursuit of the Bolton and Warner types, and Andy gets pushed down the midfield rotations (was already happening this year to fit Fyfe in) then I could see him taking a big pay day elsewhere to go and be 'the man'. If there's one thing the Brayshaws love, it's themselves, and I doubt it'll sit comfortably with him being a role player.

He just came 2nd in their B&F didn't he? Not sure why he would need a fresh start.

Doesn’t at all mean he is eminently happy. Also may fit into another system better and have more chance at individual and arguably team success depending on the suitor. It’s not out of the question he could be wooed not knowing his full situation was all I was getting at

He would move to VIC not SA. Not sure of exact timeline but all the boys (Angus, Hamish and Andrew) went to high school at Haileybury and were drafted out of Sandringham Dragons.

St Kilda territory. Ross Lyon was Andrew’s first coach at Freo and the Saints are actively throwing cash at star mids from other clubs.

Sounds unlikely he will leave but gee whiz I’m no mathematician but if Freo land some of their trade targets their salary cap has to be overflowing. A big financial difference would seemingly be the only reason Brayshaw would leave.
Reckon Geelong will take Darcy whenever Freo are ready to move him on. Might not give up a heap for him, but the cap relief would be worth it.

Reckon Geelong will take Darcy whenever Freo are ready to move him on. Might not give up a heap for him, but the cap relief would be worth it.

Freo botched that situation. He will need a good year or two to be worth much at all, and when he is there's still a considerable pay packet that needs to be absorbed to bring him on board.

Freo botched that situation. He will need a good year or two to be worth much at all, and when he is there's still a considerable pay packet that needs to be absorbed to bring him on board.
Geelong are about to lose a lot of high paid players this year and next.

1727223726842.png

At the end of 2025, Jeremy Cameron also comes off the books (they'll resign at a cut rate you'd imagine). If Darcy can have a healthy year this coming year they will be able to shift him reasonably easily. It's a big if though on the healthy year.....

Will also depend on how Toby Conway goes this year as a the ruck for the cats as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong backing themselves to get Jack Martin back on the park, maybe they’d do the same with Darcy.

If we can add a couple of new experienced midfield options through the trade, I’d love to see Yeo moved mostly to the HBF with occasional stints in the middle, I’d also like to see Kelly moved to a wing/HFF role.
With more games for Hall, Hewett, and Reid in the guts, plus 2-3 new midfield recruits, I can visualise it evolving.
We deserve a change of luck, and I’m certainly going to stay positive about the many changes to come over the next couple of months.
Bring it on, caaaaarrrrrrrnnnn WC!

I’d love pick 6, whether we get it from GCS or Richmond (without giving up 3), for me it’s essentially Travaglia before the Saints although I do think the WCE would take a second mid instead.

Love the picks you’ve taken but don’t think Berry or Tauru get to 20 and I’d prefer HOF to either Whitlock. Agree on loading up this draft, although unfortunately I do think this board needs to temper their expectations as to what’s coming back our way for Barrass…

People against splitting I can see having an epic melt when we use live pick 4 on Travagalia.

Noted Monocle used pick 3 in the phantom on Travagalia. He is such a smooth mover and a distinct area of need. Our Lockie Whitfield.

Very high chance he is available at pick 6....live pick 7.

Geelong are about to lose a lot of high paid players this year and next.

View attachment 2121098

At the end of 2025, Jeremy Cameron also comes off the books (they'll resign at a cut rate you'd imagine). If Darcy can have a healthy year this coming year they will be able to shift him reasonably easily. It's a big if though on the healthy year.....

Will also depend on how Toby Conway goes this year as a the ruck for the cats as well.

You mean CottonOn may finally be able to make money in 2026?

Mark Blicavs looking to join us per Geelong Dress up day

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

When Baker finally nominates the Eagles as the club he wants to go to we will be forced into making a deal with the Tigers. I know that’s not going to be overly popular in here however it’s out of our control.

I think with our lack of draft picks we will need to get creative and prepare ourselves for a split of pick 3.

Trade week

1) Split pick 23 for 29 & 39 with Tigers.

2) Pick 13 & Hawks F2 for Barrass (That’s pretty realistic. Equivalent to a top 10 pick which is pretty fair. Hawks won’t give up 2 first rounders).

3) Pick 3 & Hawks F2 for pick 6 & Baker.
(Tigers will want our F2, hopefully we can hold out)

4) Darling to Nth for pick 64.

Personally I’m happy with Travaglia @ pick 6. So going for some WA/Vic country flavour after that.

Pick 6)TT
Pick 13) Allan/Tauru/Berry
Pick 29)Gerryn/Hynes/Urquhart/Ough
Pick 39)Davis/Barrat/Day-Wicks/Dennis
Pick 59) Champion* (academy bid)
Pick 64 or Rookie selections
Artemis/Boxshall/Hayes/Ravenhill

Lots of good options in there to have a successful draft whilst still holding onto all of our future picks and bringing in Baker.

Over to you development coaches!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back